Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 7:00 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parents freak out when their child announces he's an atheist
Parents freak out when their child announces he's an atheist
I know there's so many of these threads here in this forum. I guess it's because this problem happens frequently. I'll post a link. If you have time, and you wish to post some good will, visit the page and say something encouraging to this guy. http://www.reddit.com/r/atheism/comments..._ratheism/
I have studied the Bible and the theology behind Christianity for many years. I have been to many churches. I have walked the depth and the breadth of the religion and, as a result of this, I have a lot of bullshit to scrape off the bottom of my shoes. ~Ziploc Surprise

RE: Parents freak out when their child announces he's an atheist
That's just fucking ridiculous. I'm lucky my parents are so much more understanding than his. My parents found out before I had the chance to tell them. Needless to say they were and still are completely devastated, and there have been angry moments, but overall they've been good about it. I just hate hearing stories like this, the idea that parents would treat their kids this way over something like that... it's just ridiculous.
I read that earlier and I felt so much for him. I even responded to his initial plea and urged him not to come out.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
(May 21, 2012 at 12:28 am)Annik Wrote: I read that earlier and I felt so much for him. I even responded to his initial plea and urged him not to come out.

Really?
General policy on r/atheism (at least the amongst sensible folk) is to tell people who are not financially secure to keep their atheism to themselves. The reason is... Well, we can see the results. It took balls to own up to his convictions, I wish he could've had an easier time.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
This seems to be an impossible situation in which the one seeking counsel is not the one who so desperately needs it. This young man represents himself in a mature, grounded manner. His parents can't see that, obviously because they're paranoid and unreasonable. They'll never listen to him because they've misplaced their faith by giving all of it to their snuggly-jesus-blankie, and none of it to their remarkable son. If these "parents" of his take his money from him to give to the crooks that own their cult hq, he should press charges. That's just outright stealing. Fuck them.

I also would have advised him not to tell. I always advise teens to stay in the atheist closet. Being out of control of your own life, inexperienced with life, and still undergoing cognitive development, they make themselves vulnerable to a sickening form of socially acceptable abuse. That can be very damaging in many ways. It's great to see this kid has a decent attitude about all this, but I am worried that he doesn't recognize he's being abused. It's abuse to call a child a "retard", just because they think differently or disagree about something. The maturity level of the adults in this situation is pathetically low. I also wonder if we're getting the whole story, but regardless, there isn't an excuse for making your kid feel like shit because he has his own ideas.

This is further proof that religious people are overwhelmed with insecurities with their "faith". If they really believed it was a powerful, planned, and infallible reality, they would be confident that their son would find his way back to jesus. They'd pray on it, and not worry a bit.

My chronically Catholic parents had the attitude "my house my rules" which extended to church attendance. I complied,without argument while I was at school and dependent. I left home and moved to another city at 18.

I have always avoided fighting with anyone with power over me. Instead I usually either pretend to comply or leave the scene.

Forcing me to do anything has always made me angry and resentful. Forcing me to go to church only soured my relationship with my parents,especially with my father.Things were never the same betwe3n us until the day he died.

In this case,if the kid has any spine at all,it's the parents who will lose the most in the long run.
I guess this is a problem unique to America. Nowhere else have I seen or heard of such a thing.
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
(May 21, 2012 at 2:47 am)kılıç_mehmet Wrote: I guess this is a problem unique to America. Nowhere else have I seen or heard of such a thing.

Ahem; I'm Australian.
(May 21, 2012 at 3:29 am)padraic Wrote:
(May 21, 2012 at 2:47 am)kılıç_mehmet Wrote: I guess this is a problem unique to America. Nowhere else have I seen or heard of such a thing.

Ahem; I'm Australian.

Say, don't they occasionally execute apostates in some Muslim countries? Talk about an overreaction.

Just sayin'.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Atheists and Agnostics that have child Eclectic 11 1186 August 28, 2022 at 3:36 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Athiest parent sending child to Catholic school EchoEllis 36 5251 December 2, 2021 at 10:24 am
Last Post: brewer
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1460 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  How to beat a presupp at their own game Superjock 150 12014 April 16, 2021 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven? DodosAreDead 91 11362 November 2, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Miracles and their place, and Atheists. Mystic 35 4475 October 4, 2018 at 3:53 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Famous people losing their religion: stories Fake Messiah 14 2773 May 21, 2018 at 10:13 am
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  If your child cries it means Satan is in him Ruckus123 8 1918 May 5, 2018 at 9:58 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Why am I still worrying about coming out as atheist? Der/die AtheistIn 48 5535 February 11, 2018 at 10:37 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Who reacted the worst when you "came out" as an Atheist? godlessheatheness 45 4771 April 7, 2017 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Cephus