Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 10:03 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Higgs-Boson particle
Higgs-Boson particle
Apparently it is on the verge of discovery, according to two UW scientists working at the LHC. Yeah, that's right; two scientists from the University of Wisconsin, my [current] home state are on the verge of discovery of the elusive Boson particle.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/u...963f4.html

One more puzzle piece on the giant puzzle of the universe! One step closer to understanding how it all works!
RE: Higgs-Boson particle
The only reason UW-Madison is a hotbed for physics is that after Fermi and team created the first critical reactor under the bleachers at the University of Chicago, many emphasized distance in the time/distance/shielding exposure protection methodology and moved north. Kidding of course.

Enjoyed the article. Thank you. I wish them continued success.
Let's hope the media won't carry on fueling the crappy apologetics brought on by calling the Higg's the "God Particle".
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R Tolkien
(June 16, 2012 at 4:59 am)Tobie Wrote: Let's hope the media won't carry on fueling the crappy apologetics brought on by calling the Higg's the "God Particle".

The paper I read that in [in fact, the same one published by the site I linked to] had stated that calling it the "god particle" was "high-minded."

The paper was at work, in the break room. I promptly took out a pen, scribbled out the words "high-minded" and wrote in the margins "religious bullshit."

PASSIVE-AGGRESSIVE ANTI-THEISM, WOOOO. I'm such a rebel. *snort* XD
REF: http://www.math.columbia.edu/~woit/wordpress/?p=4743

SUSY steps ever close to becoming a dead theory. And good riddance.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
Re: Higgs-Boson particle
When I visited CERN in December their was a lot of excitement because they believed they'd caught the first glimpse of it. The sooner it's discovered the better! People have been working so so hard on this.
(June 17, 2012 at 7:59 pm)NoraBrimstone Wrote: When I visited CERN in December their was a lot of excitement because they believed they'd caught the first glimpse of it. The sooner it's discovered the better! People have been working so so hard on this.

Highly agree. Once its existence is proven, thus can begin the research on its existence and its properties and from there we unlock more secrets.

God dammit I love science. Big Grin

(June 17, 2012 at 3:38 pm)Moros Synackaon Wrote: REF: http://www.math.columbia.edu/~woit/wordpress/?p=4743

SUSY steps ever close to becoming a dead theory. And good riddance.

What was SUSY about?
This all blows my mind. Awesome, is all I can say.
My dad went to U of W as a grad student, so this will please him.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Quote:What was SUSY about?

Supersymmetry was used as a solution to some theoretical models, by way of some special type of particle with various weird names. It was popular because it offered a loophole through a "no-go theorem". Most versions of string theory use it, and the supersymmetrical particles at one point were also a dark matter candidate. There has been absolutely zero evidence for it though.
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R Tolkien

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do W Bosons get Their Mass from the Higgs Field? Rhondazvous 2 808 February 18, 2018 at 7:09 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  In What Way is the Higgs Boaon Unstable? Rhondazvous 4 745 September 15, 2017 at 3:58 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Are Photons the Particle Associatid with the CMB? Rhondazvous 5 1154 September 9, 2017 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Does the Higgs Boson Give Mass to Other Bosons? Rhondazvous 9 1781 August 3, 2017 at 7:36 am
  Does the Higgs Boson Enforce the CCosmic Speed Limit Rhondazvous 14 3168 July 24, 2017 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Are Scientists Still Looking for the Higgs Boson? Rhondazvous 24 8286 July 18, 2017 at 4:48 am
Last Post: Alex K
  1964 Penzias/Wilson and Higgs: Coincidence? Confluent Knowledge? Rhondazvous 15 4791 July 8, 2017 at 10:29 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Happy 5th Higgs Day! Alex K 17 5438 July 5, 2017 at 10:38 am
Last Post: Ben Davis
  When Do Quanta Pass Through the Higgs Field? What is a Higgs Boson Before Excitation Rhondazvous 17 4881 June 28, 2017 at 6:13 pm
  Need Info from Alex About the Higgs Boson Rhondazvous 14 4408 June 8, 2017 at 10:15 am