Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 2, 2024, 3:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why are there so few Christians in Science?
Why are there so few Christians in Science?
I have reading this article on Jerry Coyne's blog discussing an article published on the Biologos site. Biologos is an evangelical christian organisation which advocates "theistic evolution". The biologos article reported that about half of all scientists working in "elite" US universities were non-religious, compared to 14% of the general population. Also that only 4% of scientists were evangelical Christians compared to 28% of the population.

The link to the articles is below
http://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/...des-belief
http://biologos.org/blog/are-you-there-g...nfographic
undefined
RE: Why are there so few Christians in Science?
Because knowledge and superstition don't go very well together. And knowledge usually wins.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
People who beleive in nonsense are more likely to reject empirical evidence in favor of their cherry-picked holy books. Scientists are more likely to reject the unevidenced in favor of their search for truth in various fields.
Finding someone religious who can reconcile the truth with their fiction are rare, due to the necessary mental contortions.
My conclusion is that there is no reason to believe any of the dogmas of traditional theology and, further, that there is no reason to wish that they were true.
Man, in so far as he is not subject to natural forces, is free to work out his own destiny. The responsibility is his, and so is the opportunity.
-Bertrand Russell
Maybe because there are better career opportunities for clever evangelicals in such lucrative markets as "bilking the gullible" and "evading tax authorities"?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(June 30, 2012 at 6:23 am)Darwinian Wrote: Because knowledge and superstition don't go very well together. And knowledge usually wins.

At least nowadays. One of the benefits of the media.
Trying to update my sig ...
(June 30, 2012 at 5:05 am)Justtristo Wrote: I have reading this article on Jerry Coyne's blog discussing an article published on the Biologos site. Biologos is an evangelical christian organisation which advocates "theistic evolution". The biologos article reported that about half of all scientists working in "elite" US universities were non-religious, compared to 14% of the general population. Also that only 4% of scientists were evangelical Christians compared to 28% of the population.

The link to the articles is below
http://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/...des-belief
http://biologos.org/blog/are-you-there-g...nfographic

Probably because inorder for one to be considered a legit 'scientist' one must renounce God. Otherwise one's efforts in the field of science are quickly dissmiss on general principle and the theist/scientist is not counted as a 'true scotsman.' I mean scientist, and therefore are omitted from poles like the ones you referenced.
Uh, no. In order to be considered a legit scientist, one must work on evidence-or at least things for which there is hope of finding evidence. It has nothing to do with renouncing gods and everything to do with admitting that there is no evidence for such.
Trying to update my sig ...
Quote:Probably because inorder for one to be considered a legit 'scientist' one must renounce God.

I see you are still dumb as a rock, Drippy.
(June 30, 2012 at 10:58 am)Drich Wrote: Probably because inorder for one to be considered a legit 'scientist' one must renounce God. Otherwise one's efforts in the field of science are quickly dissmiss on general principle and the theist/scientist is not counted as a 'true scotsman.' I mean scientist, and therefore are omitted from poles like the ones you referenced.

What a load of rubbish.

To be considered a legit scientist one must perform science.

Science entails going where the evidence leads, no matter what. Most theists are unable to do this because they already have their 'answers' in place. Then they try to get the evidence to fit their existing 'answers (or they ignore or twist the evidence). That is NOT science.

There is a scientist named Kurt P. Wise, who gave up a promising career in Geology because he could not reconcile the evidence with a literal reading of the Bible and as he said "if all the evidence in the universe turned against creationism, I would be the first to admit it, but I would still be a creationist because that is what the Word of God seems to indicate."

He was unable to do science because he was unable to go where the evidence took him.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(June 30, 2012 at 11:56 am)Simon Moon Wrote: There is a scientist named Kurt P. Wise, who gave up a promising career in Geology because he could not reconcile the evidence with a literal reading of the Bible and as he said "if all the evidence in the universe turned against creationism, I would be the first to admit it, but I would still be a creationist because that is what the Word of God seems to indicate."

He was unable to do science because he was unable to go where the evidence took him.

I am quoting that for my signature
undefined

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 13300 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Did Moses really write the first few books of the bible? T.J. 30 2179 November 19, 2021 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Why does god put the needs of the few above the need of the many? Greatest I am 69 5312 February 19, 2021 at 10:30 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Are there any Christians here who believe in zombies? Jehanne 41 4865 February 1, 2019 at 9:30 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7873 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why are Christians so full of hate? I_am_not_mafia 183 17626 October 18, 2018 at 7:50 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Another reason why Christians go to church Alexmahone 40 4794 August 20, 2018 at 10:35 am
Last Post: Cod
  Christians: Can you see why atheists don't buy this stuff? vulcanlogician 49 3993 August 19, 2018 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Christians: Why does the answer have to be god? IanHulett 67 15137 April 5, 2018 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Record few Americans believe in Biblical inerrancy. Jehanne 184 22721 December 31, 2017 at 12:37 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician