Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 30, 2024, 2:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A list of serious arguments against theism
A list of serious arguments against theism
Arguments against God's existence
Argument from free will
Argument from inconsistent revelations
Argument from nonbelief
Argument from poor design
Atheist's Wager
Fate of the unlearned
God of the gaps
Incompatible-properties argument
Oblivion
Omnipotence paradox
Problem of evil
Problem of Hell
Russell's teapot
Theological noncognitivism
Ultimate Boeing 747 gambit

This is the list of arguments against God from wikipedia.

Any other serious ones to add will be welcome. If I find time I'll develop them further.
RE: A list of serious arguments against theism
it's just a book, argument.
Argument against insufficient evidence to assert truth. The rest is gravy.
(September 3, 2012 at 6:55 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Argument against insufficient evidence to assert truth. The rest is gravy.

Could you make a coherent case for that argument? Ideally in another thread.

I'd like to learn.
You've never come across the shortest argument against any superstition ever uttered?

"Evidence?"
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I'd be more interested in a new serious argument in support of the existence god(s). I hope Red will correct me if I'm wrong,but I think there are actually only four at present:

Cosmological

Teleological (beloved of creationists/ID))

Ontological

Moral Law.

Pretty sure all have been convincingly refuted,which leads back to my basic position: God cannot be argued into or out of existence. That nobody has managed to prove or falsify the existence of god so far is not my problem.All that means is that I am unable to believe one way or t' other. Hence, I remain an agnostic atheist..
What is the teleological? Is it like fine-tuning?
(September 3, 2012 at 9:50 pm)Vincenzo "Vinny" G. Wrote: What is the teleological? Is it like fine-tuning?

Argument from design/complexity.

Google is your friend. Perhaps start with Wiki:

Quote:A teleological or design argument[1][2][3] is an a posteriori argument for the existence of God based on apparent design and purpose in the universe. The argument is based on an interpretation of teleology wherein purpose and design appear to exist in nature beyond the scope of any such human activities. The teleological argument suggests that, given this premise, the existence of a designer can be assumed, typically presented as God. Various concepts of teleology originated in ancient philosophy and theology. Some philosophers, such as Plato, proposed a divine Artificer as the designer; others, including Aristotle, rejected that conclusion in favor of a more naturalistic teleology.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teleological_argument
I think the fine tuning argument needs to be added then
(September 3, 2012 at 7:23 pm)Vincenzo "Vinny" G. Wrote:
(September 3, 2012 at 6:55 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Argument against insufficient evidence to assert truth. The rest is gravy.

Could you make a coherent case for that argument? Ideally in another thread.

I'd like to learn.

Allow me to quote back at you: "Do your own homework."

After the shameful way you conducted yourself in another thread earlier today, I have no further interest conversing with you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My take on one of the arguments about omnipotence ShinyCrystals 9 698 September 4, 2023 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Atheism, theism, agnosticism, gnosticism, ignosticism Simon Moon 25 2067 October 29, 2022 at 4:49 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Moral universalism and theism Interaktive 20 1874 May 6, 2022 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  A "meta-argument" against all future arguments for God's existence ? R00tKiT 225 16012 April 17, 2022 at 2:11 am
  Comparing Theism with Flat-Earthism FlatAssembler 26 2010 December 21, 2020 at 3:10 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Arguments against Soul FlatAssembler 327 24195 February 20, 2020 at 11:28 am
  [Not Even A Little Bit Serious] Why AREN'T You An Atheist? BrianSoddingBoru4 28 3439 December 28, 2019 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Arguments Against Creator God GrandizerII 77 19045 November 16, 2019 at 9:38 am
  Protection Against the Wiles of Theism Rhondazvous 9 1512 April 7, 2019 at 7:03 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Arguments against existence of God. Mystic 336 78722 December 7, 2018 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda