Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 5:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Under the Rules of Catholicism, the Vast Majority of People Are Going to Hell
Under the Rules of Catholicism, the Vast Majority of People Are Going to Hell
The Catholic Church teaches that anyone who dies with even one mortal sin on their soul goes to hell.

And it would probably surprise you how non-serious something can be and still be a mortal sin.

For example, missing Mass on Sunday is a mortal sin.

And masturbating is a mortal sin.

So really, who hasn't done either?

And the only way to get mortal sins off your soul is to have a good confession with a Catholic priest.

But who, outside the Catholic Church, ever goes to confession to a Catholic priest?

So really, the chances of getting into heaven are pretty slim if you're a Catholic and darn near impossible if you're not.

I think I need to ask a Catholic priest about this, but the problem is, most of them seem ill-equipped to answer questions.

I have observed that the Catholic priesthood is filled with men of maybe a little bit over average intelligence, and most of them get confounded if you ask them questions.

Jesuits are very smart, however, though I have not had the opportunity to talk to a Jesuit priest since law school.

Perhaps I should seek out a Jesuit and get some answers.

Right now, I'm just befuddled.

It seems to me that many Catholic priests and bishops have serious mortal sins on their soul and really, their sins are far more serious than missing Mass and masturbating.

I'm actually not much of a sinner compared to Cardinal Law or Cardinal Mahoney, who covered up for pedophiles and did not expel them from the priesthood.

Can you tell I am bitter?

Yes, I am bitter and that road leads nowhere good I'm sure.

Anyway, I'm sure all of you are going to pile up on me and tell me I should be an atheist now, but that's not going to happen.

I can't believe in a universe that pops into existence out of nothing. That makes no sense to me.

But I am distressed and disturbed that the Catholic faith which meant so much to me has let me down in this deep and fundamental way.
RE: Under the Rules of Catholicism, the Vast Majority of People Are Going to Hell
Quote:Can you tell I am bitter?

More to the point, why are you still a catholic?

Quote:I can't believe in a universe that pops into existence out of nothing. That makes no sense to me.

Good, because that's what the fucking bible says. You had best read up on The Big Bang and not listen to what some religious jackass says about it.

Start with Neil De Grasse Tyson.
RE: Under the Rules of Catholicism, the Vast Majority of People Are Going to Hell
(September 21, 2012 at 1:18 am)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Can you tell I am bitter?

More to the point, why are you still a catholic?

Quote:I can't believe in a universe that pops into existence out of nothing. That makes no sense to me.

Good, because that's what the fucking bible says. You had best read up on The Big Bang and not listen to what some religious jackass says about it.

Start with Neil De Grasse Tyson.

OK, well you're really turning me off with your obnoxious attitude.

I came here looking for answers, but if people respond to me like this I'm simply going to go away.

You guys need to prove to me that atheists aren't all a bunch of jerks who can't carry on a civilized conversation.
I should inform you regardless of my position on the Catholic Church they teach unconfessed mortal sin.

And to Minimalist, The Bible teaches Creation ex nehilo but its not the same concept as he is referring too
(September 21, 2012 at 1:28 am)Pokemon Wrote: I should inform you regardless of my position on the Catholic Church they teach unconfessed mortal sin.

And to Minimalist, The Bible teaches Creation ex nehilo but its not the same concept as he is referring too

Please explain.
If a sin goes unconfessed to a priest(or to God if a Priest is not available(ergo not used in that particular religion)) then you go to Hell however according to the Catechism of the Catholic Church this is not a permenant state repenting souls will be allowed into the New Heaven at final judgement and therefore not subject to eternal torment contrary to what some of our other Christian Brothers say.
Quote:OK, well you're really turning me off with your obnoxious attitude.

You'll soon learn that I don't give a flying fuck what you think.
As for ex nilhilo it is the Concept that at one point before Space-time existed and God created space-time rather than space-time emergening rather counter-intuitively by its self.Also known as creatio ex nihilo

Minimalist, it is very ignorant to assume the low iq of any given theist that walks in the room. Disregard assumptions about people and I am sure you will have a much easier time understanding people. You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar Smile
I don't believe there is a hell, but on the extremely off chance that I am wrong about that, and I end up going there, that's great. An eternity surrounded by little slaves to jesus sounds like torment to me. Fire sounds like relief. If there is a god who knowingly created imperfect beings, and then commands them, on pain of eternal torture in a lake of fire, to be well, and to love him without question... that god can kiss my ass. I don't want anything to do with him. Hell sounds great. Sign me up!

I'd rather just cease to exist.

I went to mass every Sunday for 18 years. Never once did I even hear the word "hell". I heard of purgatory, but I never heard of hell.

Aleialoura I would to refer you to Aristotle on this measure, clearly virtous behavior is possible given any position, truely if you believe hellfire(I am assuming you accept outdated theology, therefore logically you accept outdated physics and mathematics as well?) I would suggest you chose your master because either way you are always a pawn to someone. God, Devil, if they don't exist then plainly your CEO's but regardless your notions about constant worship is irrelavant to the question of existence furthermore you seem to be a Frank Sinatra atheist if you will shaking your hand at God(assuming he exists of course) saying I did my way!! In the face of contradictory evidence always go with reason my friend.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The People of Light vs The People of Darkness Leonardo17 2 568 October 27, 2023 at 7:55 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What is going to happen when Jesus returns? Fake Messiah 21 2293 March 19, 2023 at 12:00 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  How to 100% remove myself from Catholicism FormerCatholic 32 2427 September 8, 2022 at 6:23 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  7th grader commits suicide after being told that he is going to Hell. Jehanne 12 1503 December 9, 2021 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  They're going to be chanting to the wrong God. brewer 32 2738 March 17, 2021 at 2:39 pm
  If you knew for certain that you were going to Hell zwanzig 32 2999 March 9, 2021 at 8:48 pm
Last Post: Ryantology
  Catholic churches profit under COVID PPP brewer 19 1386 February 23, 2021 at 2:47 pm
  Telling children that they are going to hell is abusive? Fake Messiah 104 9151 February 9, 2020 at 2:46 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  No-one under 25 in iceland believes god created the universe downbeatplumb 8 1752 August 19, 2018 at 7:55 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  So Bible rules don't apply to rich white people Fake Messiah 42 11164 March 19, 2018 at 1:07 pm