Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 8:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to 100% remove myself from Catholicism
How to 100% remove myself from Catholicism
I was raised Catholic. I am baptized, made my first communion, made my confirmation, etc

I've done just about everything but get married.

That being said, I stopped attending church during high school. I currently haven't been to church in about 15 years (other than a funeral and a relative's confirmation). During my adulthood, I've come to the conclusion that I want to 100% leave the Catholic Church.

Even with the fact that I no longer attend church, I'm apparently still counted as a Catholic because of my baptism. I've looked into trying to get excommunicated. Then I found out that, even if I were to get excommunicated, I would still count as a Catholic.

What I'm looking for is a method where it's like I was never a Catholic in the first place. Is there a way? Or am I stuck with always being a technical Catholic?
RE: How to 100% remove myself from Catholicism
As long as any catholic scam relies on pitching large numbers, you’re not coming off those rolls easily.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Under Canon Law, you're stuck with it.
I haven't been in a Catholic church since I think 1987 for a wedding. They still think I am Catholic. Just don't care. They can think what they want. Left that mess behind long ago.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Tell 'em to go to hell, what can they do?
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

If you have renounced the RCC, they have no more power over you than the Mormon church does, just because they claim all kinds of people on their rolls who were never Mormon. They can say what they like, but you aren't supporting them.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
Engaging in forbidden acts of the flesh would be a good way to distance yourself from the spirit of Catholicism.
"Imagination, life is your creation"
(September 4, 2022 at 6:48 pm)Ahriman Wrote: Engaging in forbidden acts of the flesh would be a good way to distance yourself from the spirit of Catholicism.

No, that would make you a sinner; to be separated from the Church requires a formal excommunication.
(September 4, 2022 at 7:42 pm)Jehanne Wrote:
(September 4, 2022 at 6:48 pm)Ahriman Wrote: Engaging in forbidden acts of the flesh would be a good way to distance yourself from the spirit of Catholicism.

No, that would make you a sinner; to be separated from the Church requires a formal excommunication.

One used to be able to apply for "defection"- nice concept- and if done properly (by their standards) one could be then considered Not A Catholic. Excommunication still involves an action of the RCC. Fuck the RCC. Ahriman does have a point about the "spirit" of Catholicism, though. That would be one point in a row, though.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
I was born into the catholic faith, as well, went through the baptism, communion, confirmation rituals.

It's easy, after such ritual indoctrination, to think you must perform a ritual of sorts to leave the faith. You don't. You have already physically separated yourself from the church, and now you simply have to mentally separate yourself from the faith. It might take time, because it's easy to slip back into old habits for the sake of comfort. But I trust you can fully free your mind from doctrinal chains if you give the belief system zero attention.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The 100-year anniversay of Fatima is coming-up! Jehanne 21 4887 October 13, 2017 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: JackRussell
  Catholicism would actually be the most likely controlled Christianity Rolandson 10 1917 January 1, 2017 at 11:44 am
Last Post: Redoubtable
  Remove Ten Commandments IATIA 28 6593 September 13, 2015 at 2:24 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Catholicism: One step forward, Two steps back Faith No More 23 3643 May 7, 2015 at 12:43 am
Last Post: Pizza
  Traditional Catholicism: Suscipe Domine Metis 12 5924 February 17, 2015 at 11:38 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  Catholicism: "Our Teachings have never changed" claim Vox 21 4783 June 14, 2014 at 5:37 pm
Last Post: Strongbad
  Remove Christianity and civilization would soon smell better. Whateverist 35 6955 June 11, 2014 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: Vox
  Remove Christianity and Civilization would soon disappear. Artur Axmann 123 16797 June 6, 2014 at 1:23 am
Last Post: rexbeccarox
  Why would someone convert to Catholicism? Pope Leo Decrapio 17 5025 January 23, 2014 at 9:57 pm
Last Post: Drich
  "Evidence" for Catholicism. Mystic 3 2700 March 24, 2013 at 6:37 pm
Last Post: Mystic