Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:11 am

Poll: What does religion know about god? (for theists)
This poll is closed.
My particular sect is correct.
13.33%
2 13.33%
My religion is correct, but I don't know about any particular sect.
6.67%
1 6.67%
No existing religion is correct in its interpretation of god.
73.33%
11 73.33%
We all worship the same god under different names.
6.67%
1 6.67%
Total 15 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Why Yahweh? (Or Allah, or Zeus, etc.)
Question 
Why Yahweh? (Or Allah, or Zeus, etc.)
I have been asked to start a seperate thread, so here I am. The basic question is this:

Theists: why do you believe your particular god is the correct one? You might cite specific claims, but I am asking you why your god's claims have more credibility as evidence for his/her existance than the other guy's.

This is one of a number of common reasonings used against theism: I don't believe in your god for the same reason you don't believe in anyone elses'. So, why don't you believe in other gods, and why is yours better? Saying that because no one believes in them anymore is proof that they are false will not work. You must at least provide a valid reason as to why people stopped believeing (other than persecution) for this to work.

If you are a non-denominational theist, then good job for having more intellectual honesty, and this doesn't apply to you (unless you have something you would like to add). To curve one's standards for evidence to allow in one god, but not others with the same level of evidence is intellectually dishonest. Maybe someone can prove they don't do that, and have a logical reason to think their religion is more valid, maybe not. Keep in mind, I am only referring to relative validity between religions, not validity in general. Note for the poll that desism wouldn't be considered a religion.
EDIT: For "no existing religion is correct in its interpretation of god" means you believe in god, but not religion (like MysticKnight). Should be at least sure enough to call yourself a theist, even if an agnostic one.
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
RE: Why Yahweh? (Or Allah, or Zeus, etc.)
religion is man's attempt to worhip and offer himself to God.

No one religion is right.

What God did to cover this gap is sacerfice His son to cover the 'wrong-ness' of our efforts. All He has asked in return is to take our efforts and acknoweledge the sacerfice made. This 'effort' is known as Christianity, or rather Biblically Based Christianity. Even in biblically based Christianity our religious efforts are incomplete. That is where His grace and mercy comes in. It forgives our short commings and leaves the expression of Love we show when we worship in our various religious practices.
(October 23, 2012 at 3:41 pm)Drich Wrote:

So you are saying that rather than christianity being right, it is just somewhat more accurate? (for clarity) On that note, that would mean you accept Jesus as divine. On what grounds do you mean to claim that this is true while ressurection claims made by other religions are false?
Per your instructions, I voted.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
(October 23, 2012 at 3:49 pm)DeistPaladin Wrote: Per your instructions, I voted.

Why are atheists voting, though? (Two have so far)
Because I wanted to. Smile

I never answer polls seriously anyway...
Cunt
There is the following arguments for religion that I've made after being a Deist, that put's deism on the defense.

Assume for all these arguments that 1) God exists 2) Is ultimately great hence benevolent, loving, graceful, etc.

Argument from organization:

1) Society needs organization.
2) The best organization would come from God.
3) God being benevolent wants the best organization for society.
4) Therefore there is a religion that has the best organization for society.

Argument from clarification of (objective) morality.

1) Humanity although believes in (objective) morality, disagrees and is confused about much of it, and is following subjective morality that is wrong in many cases.
2) God wants humanity to have a way to recognize objective morality in a clear fashion.
3) Therefore there is a religion that proves itself and has clear moral detailed guidance.

Argument from relationship:

1) The more a sentient being loves someone, the more it is inclined to communicate to them in a relationship.
2) God's love towards humanity is higher then love then which all (other) sentient beings have when they are inclined to communicate to one in a relationship.
3) Therefore God would communicate to humanity and establish a relationship.
(October 23, 2012 at 4:01 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: There is the following arguments for religion that I've made after being a Deist, that put's deism on the defense.

Assume for all these arguments that 1) God exists 2) Is ultimately great hence benevolent, loving, graceful, etc.

Even with these faulty premises, the arguments you make are not valid.

(October 23, 2012 at 4:01 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: Argument from organization:

1) Society needs organization.
2) The best organization would come from God.
3) God being benevolent wants the best organization for society.
4) Therefore there is a religion that has the best organization for society.

Except, as we have seen, currently the best "organization" in teh society does not stem from any religion but from the principles of secularism.

(October 23, 2012 at 4:01 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: Argument from clarification of (objective) morality.

1) Humanity although believes in (objective) morality, disagrees and is confused about much of it, and is following subjective morality that is wrong in many cases.
2) God wants humanity to have a way to recognize objective morality in a clear fashion.
3) Therefore there is a religion that proves itself and has clear moral detailed guidance.

Except
a) If that morality is dependent on god then its not objective morality and
b) If any morality is to be found to be objective, then then it must be found so by reasoned discourse - not divine command. Ethics is the domain of philosophy, not religion.

(October 23, 2012 at 4:01 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: Argument from relationship:

1) The more a sentient being loves someone, the more it is inclined to communicate to them in a relationship.
2) God's love towards humanity is higher then love then which all (other) sentient beings have when they are inclined to communicate to one in a relationship.
3) Therefore God would communicate to humanity and establish a relationship.

Except, the existence of so many religions would mean that he is extremely poor at communicating.
(October 23, 2012 at 4:28 pm)genkaus Wrote: Except, the existence of so many religions would mean that he is extremely poor at communicating.

I think that was his whole point...
(October 23, 2012 at 3:41 pm)Drich Wrote: religion is man's attempt to worhip and offer himself to God.

No one religion is right.

What God did to cover this gap is sacerfice His son to cover the 'wrong-ness' of our efforts. All He has asked in return is to take our efforts and acknoweledge the sacerfice made. This 'effort' is known as Christianity, or rather Biblically Based Christianity. Even in biblically based Christianity our religious efforts are incomplete. That is where His grace and mercy comes in. It forgives our short commings and leaves the expression of Love we show when we worship in our various religious practices.

So, basically, what you are saying is that no one religion is right, but yours is anyway.

I notice you still did not answer the actual question, just made bland assertions. Do you have a justification for your position?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is this a disproof of Allah I've come up with? Atheism_is_True 5 626 July 12, 2022 at 5:55 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Allah was just Muhammad's sock puppet! I knew it! ignoramus 0 1318 May 2, 2019 at 5:48 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Beautiful 99 Names Of Allah With Translation And Quranic Usage shawnivan110 22 4835 February 27, 2017 at 2:14 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Thank ALLAH that the pagan holiday of CHRISTMAS is over! 21stCenturyIconoclast 62 8412 December 30, 2016 at 1:13 am
Last Post: Joods
  Why Zeus is more real than the Christian God.... maestroanth 4 1802 May 5, 2016 at 7:08 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Yahweh Killed by Operation Rescue fanatics Rhondazvous 7 1773 April 8, 2016 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  How do people justify the worship of Yahweh? Celestine 13 4622 August 22, 2015 at 8:30 am
Last Post: robvalue
Video I Talked to Allah Mental Outlaw 18 3979 March 11, 2015 at 10:00 pm
Last Post: psychoslice
  Yahweh Volcano Fire God of War: Updated TheJackel 17 11672 February 21, 2015 at 4:19 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Same source etc, but different religions ? Muslim Atheism 56 12349 June 23, 2014 at 12:08 am
Last Post: Minimalist