Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 8:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Petition for those in the UNITED STATES.
Petition for those in the UNITED STATES.
This Whithouse link was brought to my attention at another atheist website, but applies to any atheist or believer who values government neutrality on the issue of religion.

This link I came across at another atheist website, but it is a Whitehouse link. It is a petition to remove God from the Pledge and off our currency. Now to any theist who might read this, this benifits you as well.

Since Baptists do not consider Catholics Christians and neither consider Mormons Christians, and most certainly Jews and Muslim citizens and Buddhist citizens are NOT represented by that word, would it not be better to leave religion up to the inidivudal and not use government as a billboard to set up religious pecking orders?

God was not always on our money or even in the Origional pledge. The founders were a variety of beliefs from deist, to Freemasons and different sects of Christianity. They DID want freedom of religion, but valued that as a right of the individual, and not a government institution to favor one religion over another.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petitio...e/518NJvfp
RE: Petition for those in the UNITED STATES.
You got my signature.

And, mostly for fun, I started my own. I'd appreciate any love you'd like to give it.
http://wh.gov/X1OH
I didn't start that petition, just spreading the word about it.
>9,000 Signatures in 1 day? I think we might have a winner! Big Grin
"Sisters, you know only the north; I have traveled in the south lands. There are churches there, believe me, that cut their children too, as the people of Bolvangar did--not in the same way, but just as horribly. They cut their sexual organs, yes, both boys and girls; they cut them with knives so that they shan't feel. That is what the Church does, and every church is the same: control, destroy, obliterate every good feeling. So if a war comes, and the Church is on one side of it, we must be on the other, no matter what strange allies we find ourselves bound to."

-Ruta Skadi, The Subtle Knife
I don't think the intent is to win the war in one day, but to grow and get a seat at the table so that we can ease society from tribal symbols and get back to the neutrality of the founders, much like the flag is neutral.

If we can get back to E-Plurubus Unum, that is where we need to be and I see no sectarian god claim being universal in a pluralistic society.

I think this is more of putting secularism on the radar. You know the saying "Rome wasn't built in a day".
Petitioning is getting crazy these days, why don't we all just petition to join the Chinese government so we can just get the long slow ride over with already.
Live every day as if already dead, that way you're not disappointed when you are. Big Grin
Not that I don't support such efforts... but...

What the hell does anyone expect the President can or will do about this? This sort of thing falls squarely in the Legislative branch's corner.

You may as well ask the President to denounce Mom, apple pie, and Old Glory.
(November 16, 2012 at 8:31 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Not that I don't support such efforts... but...

What the hell does anyone expect the President can or will do about this? This sort of thing falls squarely in the Legislative branch's corner.

You may as well ask the President to denounce Mom, apple pie, and Old Glory.

Yea, that is the meme they have for far too long gullibly swallowed. But if you were a Christian or Jew or gay living in Iran, would you not want to fight the popular social norms?

It really isn't a call to end religion, nor is it a one time shot or gamble on a quick solution. It is merely one tactic in many long term to get a seat at the table.

To say we shouldn't do it or that it is pointless, is easy to refute by pointing out that Jefferson said to question the existence of a god, and demanded a wall between church and state, and convinced a very sectarin Baptist state to give up on government favortism of their religion "Virginia Religious Freedom Act".

You are thinking in the now. And I am thinking that if women can long term gain the right to vote, and blacks don't have to use separate bathrooms, long term, we can convince the religious that even for them it is better when we all leave it at the door.

If Jefferson ran on either party's ticket today, he wouldn't make it past either primary, despite he was the biggest advocate of religious freedom AND government neutrality on the issue of religion.

So when you say I cant or should not or imply that it is pointless. If you had told me atheists like Dawkins or Hitchens or Harris or Ali or Neil Degrees Tyson would be in our mainstreem back in 01, I would have told you you were nuts.

The point is to gain ground, not expect suddend results.
Dude, I didn't say you shouldn't, I'm just saying you're barking up the wrong fucking tree.
(November 16, 2012 at 10:22 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Dude, I didn't say you shouldn't, I'm just saying you're barking up the wrong fucking tree.
Which tree should I bark up pray Thor?

The status qoe of "Christian Nation" pissed off Sam Harris to the point of writing a book titled "Letter To A Christian Nation". But since those 9,000 who have singed that petition in 1 day havent become famous writers like him, they are all barking up the wrong tree.

I do know what I am doing and so do the 9,000 people who signed that petition.

Barking at attempts of pecking orders on issues of religion deserves barking, roaring and bitch slapping!

Otherwise as an atheist yourself, don't make waves in Iran because you "might" upset them.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Those Political Memes Foxaèr 828 62279 April 26, 2024 at 4:59 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  The United States now enters the phase of mass executions. Jehanne 48 4051 November 18, 2022 at 1:52 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Why don't Southern states outlaw interracial marriage? Jehanne 12 1161 July 26, 2022 at 7:55 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  The United States and the growing divide zwanzig 73 3720 September 24, 2021 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
Information The United States has not spent $ 300 million a day on war in Afghanistan. alextruesay 60 3281 August 26, 2021 at 3:35 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Petition to abolish the Electoral College Foxaèr 44 1801 October 19, 2020 at 11:41 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Seven states bar people with a criminal record from receiving victim's compensation Angrboda 34 2351 September 23, 2018 at 5:16 am
Last Post: viocjit
  Why are those who support Trump defending him so much GODZILLA 14 1698 June 14, 2018 at 8:00 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  So What Are Those "Christian" Values, Dickwad? Minimalist 11 1856 April 30, 2018 at 11:22 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Will those cocksnots in the GOP ever grow a spine? GODZILLA 21 3819 March 13, 2018 at 7:12 am
Last Post: GODZILLA