Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A Simple Question...or 3!
A Simple Question...or 3!
DO YOU WANT TO BELIEVE IN GOD?

...or is [proof] the main thing holding you back?

Do you believe that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe?

Can anyone here (besides us zealots) answer a question, or challenge to their reasoning seriously? oops thats 4!
Quis ut Deus?
RE: A Simple Question...or 3!
scientific proof, and the concepts of most deities. I will reject a deity who is a dictator or psycopath eaven if this deity would reveal himself to me under scientificaly observational circumstances.

I dont believe in it, I consider it a possiblity.

go ahead.
(November 16, 2012 at 10:25 pm)ronedee Wrote: DO YOU WANT TO BELIEVE IN GOD?
Nope, I'm perfectly fine without god.

(November 16, 2012 at 10:25 pm)ronedee Wrote: ...or is [proof] the main thing holding you back?
Even if there was proof that god exists, isn't he kind of an asshole? All those babies and children he could save from preventable disease and malnutrition, the holocaust, war, suffering... yeah, he's kind of a dick if he does exist.

(November 16, 2012 at 10:25 pm)ronedee Wrote: Do you believe that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe?
If the universe is infinite, then there are an infinite number of stars, with an infinite number of planets orbiting those stars... So yeah, it's pretty likely that there are other forms of intelligent life out there. Will we ever meet them is another question, and to that I say, "Probably not."

(November 16, 2012 at 10:25 pm)ronedee Wrote: Can anyone here (besides us zealots) answer a question, or challenge to their reasoning seriously? oops thats 4!
I just answered 3 of your questions. I challenge my thinking everyday. Because I don't see things your way doesn't mean I am unreasoned.

Yes, I fed the troll.

...or is [proof] the main thing holding you back?

Do you believe that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe?

Can anyone here (besides us zealots) answer a question, or challenge to their reasoning seriously? oops thats 4!

1. Want to? I want the truth. If I had to pick, I would say I wouldn't want god to exist, but it isn't a matter of what I want but what is true. If someone proves that god exists, I'll believe.

2. It is certainly possible, considering the number of planets out there it is likely that at least one other would be capable of supporting life, which could concievably evolve intelligence after a long enough time. I would say that I don't know, but it seems probable.

3/4. I'm not sure what you are asking. It seems to me that, taken literally, your question is a rhetorical and sarcastic remark saying atheists are intellectually dishonest.

The answer to that seems rather obvious to me where atheists are concerned.

Quote:...or is [proof] the main thing holding you back?

Uh, this question doesn't make sense. The word belief is only appropriate when no proof can be had. When evidence is demonstrated, all that remains is fact and belief is no longer necessary. One could easily argue that the disciples of christ never had any faith. They never had to believe - they had proof. Whats more is if Jesus had shown them absolutely nothing of his power, it's highly likely they would've treated him like a crackpot and not some earthbound deity. Not that I buy into that ridiculous fable anyway.

Quote:Do you believe that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe?

Again with the word belief. Wrong word. I theorize that there may very well be other intelligent life. It's really of no concern to me though.

Quote:Can anyone here (besides us zealots) answer a question, or challenge to their reasoning seriously? oops thats 4!

[Image: facepalm.gif] You should've stopped at 3.
[Image: Evolution.png]

1) No I dont,I dont want to delude myself.
Proof does not hold anything back it merely helps determine what is true and religion has been proven to be false.And it is a matter of what is true not what one wants regarding it.
2) It is a definite possibility and it is likely though we have not been visited by intelligent life.
3) This question makes no actual sense.
I want evidence.

I have evaluated "believers" and found the vast majority to be total assholes.
(November 16, 2012 at 10:39 pm)Cinjin Wrote:

[Image: facepalm.gif] You should've stopped at 3.

in your case? maybe.

ok...substitute "think" for belief.

(November 16, 2012 at 10:32 pm)Darkstar Wrote:

3/4. I'm not sure what you are asking. It seems to me that, taken literally, your question is a rhetorical and sarcastic remark saying atheists are intellectually dishonest.

The "Twister"!

For examples read your buddies posts...and you'll get the real flavor of "rhetorical and sarcastic remarks".

(November 16, 2012 at 10:31 pm)festive1 Wrote: [quote='ronedee' pid='363821' dateline='1353119106']
DO YOU WANT TO BELIEVE IN GOD?
Nope, I'm perfectly fine without god.
(November 16, 2012 at 10:25 pm)ronedee Wrote: ...or is [proof] the main thing holding you back?

Even if there was proof that god exists, isn't he kind of an asshole? All those babies and children he could save from preventable disease and malnutrition, the holocaust, war, suffering... yeah, he's kind of a dick if he does exist.

The classic response! Well...guess what? WE COULD ACTUALLY SAVE ALL THOSE DYING BABIES OURSELVES!

(November 16, 2012 at 10:25 pm)ronedee Wrote: Do you believe that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe?

If the universe is infinite, then there are an infinite number of stars, with an infinite number of planets orbiting those stars... So yeah, it's pretty likely that there are other forms of intelligent life out there. Will we ever meet them is another question, and to that I say, "Probably not."

OK...so God could exist then?

Yes, I fed the troll.
Thanks! I was hungry.

Ok....For those who don't "think" there is a God, or want to "think" there is a God...

Why would you think there is intelligent life somewhere else?

Wouldn't it be a "belief" that someone exists w/o seeing proof?

Also, wouldn't it be possible for this unproven intelligent life to be 100's of billions of years superior to us? And actual hide from us 40,000 year old infants?

Quis ut Deus?
(November 16, 2012 at 10:59 pm)ronedee Wrote: Why would you think there is intelligent life somewhere else?

Wouldn't it be a "belief" that someone exists w/o seeing proof?

Also, wouldn't it be possible for this unproven intelligent life to be 100's of billions of years superior to us? And actual hide from us 40,000 year old infants?

I think there might be because, after analyzing the conditions required for life and the probability of them being found on any given planet, and comparing that number with the number of planets estimated to exist, it is statistically probable. I wouldn't say "I think other intelligent life exists". I would say "I do not know if other intelligent life exists, but it is statistically probable".

Yes, it would be a belief. That is why I do not claim that there is intelligent life, just that it is likely.

Sure, they cou-...wait...the universe isn't 100s of billions of years old, more like 14 billion, so actually they couldn't be that far advanced. Now, if you meant hundreds of millions, it is possible, but I claim no specifics to the likely intelligent life. And...what do 40,000 year old infants have to do with anything at all?
Is my english sooo fucking bad!?

Why do most christians always refuse to reply to me!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Simple Way to Shut Up a Street Preacher Jonah 44 28595 August 12, 2016 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Simple question for Christians. Simon Moon 143 24496 July 21, 2015 at 4:13 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Some Simple Questions show Atheistic Origin Science is false (proof 2 begins) SavedByGraceThruFaith 369 192661 October 9, 2014 at 4:59 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Simple question really. BlackMason 49 8806 June 5, 2014 at 10:15 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  A simple question for christians Lemonvariable72 26 6537 January 22, 2014 at 3:27 am
Last Post: Ryantology
  A simple (sort of) thought experiment Bteormt 11 4198 September 3, 2012 at 1:18 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  Simple mental exercise to show the irrationality of the Christian God. CoolBoy 29 13784 September 1, 2012 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: kılıç_mehmet
  Debunking Christianity? It's actually quite as simple as asking "why?" TheYoungAtheist 116 44390 August 4, 2011 at 11:24 pm
Last Post: Faith No More