Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:11 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Theism and Western atheism are on the same continuum. Both are realist.
Exclamation 
Theism and Western atheism are on the same continuum. Both are realist.
Theism and Western atheism are both based on the assumption that things exist. Thus both are on the same continuum of realism.

The following is a summary of Madhyamaka (which is a system of negation):

All philosophical and religious positions revolve around only 2 views: Existence and Nonexistence.

One cannot claim that anything exists, since for something to exist it would logically have to arise from a) itself b) other or c) both these possibilities together

Something cannot arise from itself, because that brings numerous contradictions. For example, arising would have to be part of its intrinsic nature, which would in turn lead to endless arisings.

Something cannot arise from other, because then you could have a giraffe spring from a rock. Anything could arise from anything. Moreover if an entity in itself does not exist, an entity other than it does not exist either.

Something cannot arise from both these possibilities together, because each one has been individually negated already.

All we are left with is illusion. Things only seem real because of imputed identities.

Reference: Center Of The Sunlit Sky by Karl Brunnholzl
RE: Theism and Western atheism are on the same continuum. Both are realist.
Yeah, it's the same continum. We are on the sane end, and you are on the other end.
@OP

You're taking the wrong drugs.
(November 28, 2012 at 4:09 pm)Chuck Wrote: Yeah, it's the same continum. We are on the deluded end, and you are on the other end.

I corrected that for you.
Am I to assume, then, that you cannot claim that Madhyamaka exists?

Good, I no longer care.

(ever considered dropping the extraneous baggage of buddhism for a simpler type of nihilism?)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I thought it was common courtesy to flush after taking a shit.
(November 28, 2012 at 4:18 pm)alwayson Wrote:
(November 28, 2012 at 4:09 pm)Chuck Wrote: Yeah, it's the same continum. We are on the deluded end, and you are on the other end.

I corrected that for you.

You contradict yourself:

(November 28, 2012 at 4:03 pm)alwayson Wrote: All we are left with is illusion.
Science will never explain the beginning of the universe, because there is no beginning.

Even from a common sense standpoint, Big Bang has previous causes, which itself has previous causes, which itself has previous causes, which has previous causes, which has previous causes, which has previous causes etc.
(November 28, 2012 at 4:24 pm)alwayson Wrote: Science will never explain the beginning of the universe, because there is no beginning.
Who cares, can you?

Quote:Even from a common sense standpoint, Big Bang has previous causes, which itself has previous causes, which itself has previous causes, which has previous causes, which has previous causes, which has previous causes etc.
Do non-existent things require causes? WTF is a cause anyway..sounds like another non-existent thing.....

(Our distaste for infinite regress might have more to do with our inability to draw a conclusion from it than it does with whether or not an infinite regress is "possible" - it doesn't explain anything, so it isn't "valid" - what any of that has to do with "common sense" is anyones guess....and why would anyone want to align themselves with "common sense" in the first place? Have you seen the shit that common sense has produced? Common sense is commonly incorrect)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 28, 2012 at 4:24 pm)alwayson Wrote: Science will never explain the beginning of the universe, because there is no beginning.

Even from a common sense standpoint, Big Bang has previous causes, which itself has previous causes, which itself has previous causes, which has previous causes, which has previous causes, which has previous causes etc.

Without having any common sense, how do you speak from it?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Even if theism is a failure, it's still superior to atheism R00tKiT 491 36154 December 25, 2022 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Did Jesus want to create a poli-theism religion? Eclectic 83 6205 December 18, 2022 at 7:54 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Ignosticism, Theism, or Gnostic Atheism vulcanlogician 55 4125 February 1, 2022 at 9:23 pm
Last Post: emjay
  Isn’t pantheism the same thing as atheism? Ferrocyanide 177 10533 January 1, 2022 at 2:36 am
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  We are all the same species.. Brian37 32 3192 July 22, 2019 at 2:50 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Rational Theism Foxaèr 17 5283 May 2, 2018 at 9:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Poverty and Theism Flavius 57 15698 April 25, 2017 at 9:56 am
Last Post: Shell B
  Christianity is the same as Scientology Alex K 37 5633 April 9, 2017 at 8:46 am
Last Post: Alex K
Question Is theism more rational in a pre-scientific context? Tea Earl Grey Hot 6 1553 March 7, 2017 at 3:54 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  I don't exactly feel the same way I once did. Ryantology 18 2720 January 26, 2017 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain