Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 5:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
philosophy questions
Question 
philosophy questions
I have some questions I need to get answered for an intro to philosophy class I'm currently in. I really only need one person to answer...but all of the questions. Also, please share only your views/opinion/beliefs, without much research into things -- like, what's your first thought when you hear/read the question. If you have any questions, confusion, etc., please feel free to ask me, too. Thanks.

If you're interested, here they are:
1. Does the universe have a beginning that requires a cause? If so, what was this cause?

2. In what terms do you define the value of human life? Is the life of a human child more or less valuable, for example, than that of an endangered species of primate?

3. Does your worldview ground free will - which is required for consciousness, rationality, moral judgments, moral choices, and moral responsibility?

4. What are the grounds for (1) moral values and (2) moral duties?

5. Is it rational for you to risk your life to save a stranger?

6. Which religion, if any, were you raised in? What were the factors that led to your leaving that religion?
RE: philosophy questions
(November 29, 2012 at 1:41 pm)phi5100 Wrote: I have some questions I need to get answered for an intro to philosophy class I'm currently in. I really only need one person to answer...but all of the questions. Also, please share only your views/opinion/beliefs, without much research into things -- like, what's your first thought when you hear/read the question. If you have any questions, confusion, etc., please feel free to ask me, too. Thanks.

I smell a trap but here goes.

Quote:If you're interested, here they are:
1. Does the universe have a beginning that requires a cause?

This phase of the universe formed in the big bang, there are several theories as to what caused the big bang. At the moment none has sufficient evidence to hold sway.

Quote: If so, what was this cause?

Could be one of several things see above.

Quote:2. In what terms do you define the value of human life? Is the life of a human child more or less valuable, for example, than that of an endangered species of primate?

I have empathy, an evolved response and as a human I empathise more strongly with members of my own species. The feelings of a highly evolved chimp would probably be reversed.

Quote:3. Does your worldview ground free will - which is required for consciousness, rationality, moral judgments, moral choices, and moral responsibility?

What world view?
I think what I think because I am a good person who can empathise with others.

Quote:4. What are the grounds for (1) moral values and (2) moral duties?

I am a nice person.

Quote:5. Is it rational for you to risk your life to save a stranger?

Sometimes yes sometimes no.

Quote:6. Which religion, if any, were you raised in? What were the factors that led to your leaving that religion?

My mum was Church of England and my dad couldn't care less. I have never believed in god but was forced, at a young age, to go to sunday school but was asked not to come back because I asked questions.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(November 29, 2012 at 1:41 pm)phi5100 Wrote: 1. Does the universe have a beginning that requires a cause? If so, what was this cause?

No

Quote:2. In what terms do you define the value of human life? Is the life of a human child more or less valuable, for example, than that of an endangered species of primate?

No. I dont define the value of human life. My sociaty does, which is a democratic pluralistic sociaty - I therefor stick to and defend this set of values.

Quote:3. Does your worldview ground free will - which is required for consciousness, rationality, moral judgments, moral choices, and moral responsibility?

No

see question 2

depends on the circumstances

Quote:6. Which religion, if any, were you raised in? What were the factors that led to your leaving that religion?

Catholic mother and anglican father.
Left because of the devides I observed and the disgracefull behavior of some religious.
(November 29, 2012 at 1:41 pm)phi5100 Wrote: 1. Does the universe have a beginning that requires a cause? If so, what was this cause?

I don't know and I don't care. I have yet to see a successful argument that proves (1) the universe has a cause and also that (2) this cause is God.

I can't see how objectively it is more valuable. Subjectively, I prefer humans over other primates so to me it is more valuable (subjectively speaking that is).

In the big scheme of things it seems that all of the history of the universe has led up to me replying to this message. But in the small immediate scheme of things I have at least the illusion of choice and that's all that matters.

(1) me. (2) me.

If the odds of myself getting killed in the process are significant, then no, it's not rational.

Fundamentalist Christianity. Use to defend it but then I started studying logic, history, and science.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
Thanks so much for answering these questions!

(November 29, 2012 at 2:15 pm)The_Germans_are_coming Wrote:

No

Are you saying that the universe doesn't have a beginning? Or that the beginning that it does have, doesn't require a cause?

No. I dont define the value of human life. My sociaty does, which is a democratic pluralistic sociaty - I therefor stick to and defend this set of values.

So based on your society, what are those values, as you best understand them? As per the example, how would you 'rank' the value of a human child? Going along with this, for another example, (when) do you believe a child is a human and has human rights, in the womb?

No

So you don't believe that we have free will? Don't you make choices daily? If not, then everything in our lives must be pre-determined. But who or what determines them? The only person I could even begin to perceive as pre-determining all of life, would be someone who is, always was, and always will be in existence, and created & controls it all...which would be God. If there's no free will, as you've stated, then should we even have discipline & punishment, because no one would actually be responsible for their actions.

see question 2

You're saying that each individual society sets the grounds for what is morally right, what has value, and what people's moral duties are? What determines each of these societies or cultures?

depends on the circumstances

What might some of those circumstances be in which you think it'd be rational to risk your life for a stranger? And to not? ...regardless of whether or not it's rational, is it morally right to risk your life for a stranger's?

Catholic mother and anglican father.
Left because of the devides I observed and the disgracefull behavior of some religious.

Were those divides between Catholic and Anglican, or within one of them? Have you had interactions with other Christians that hasn't been, as you would say, " disgraceful"? If you've not, regardless of their specific denomination within Christianity, I'm sorry. Those people are obviously not living out their beliefs...and/or possibly don't understand the truth (or Truth) to it. Sad
[Image: ackbar_2.jpg]
(November 29, 2012 at 2:48 pm)phi5100 Wrote:

dude. You stated that you needed this for university.

why debate? why the dishonesty?

I shouldnt be so naiv in future
It's not a trap, as two of you have mentioned. I'm doing this honestly and for an assignment for class. Just asking questions and having discussion. Please don't accuse me of things that are not true. If you don't want to be a part of this, that's ok. I'm not forcing anyone to do anything.

I'm not trying to debate you or anyone else. I was never dishonest. This IS for a class assignment. Just as you're free to share what you believe, so am I. And my follow-up to your answers were merely to gain more understanding of what you said.

(November 29, 2012 at 2:55 pm)The_Germans_are_coming Wrote:
(November 29, 2012 at 2:48 pm)phi5100 Wrote:

dude. You stated that you needed this for university.

why debate? why the dishonesty?

I shouldnt be so naiv in future
Me still thinks smells fishy ...

[Image: 6uyv72o19z8a.jpg]
"Jesus is like an unpaid babysitter "
R. Gervais
(November 29, 2012 at 2:55 pm)phi5100 Wrote: Just asking questions

Never heard that before...

Not to be an ass, but if you would like a brief explanation of why I personally think this is a 'trap', here you go:

You start a thread asking for our opinions for a philosophy class, pretty straightforward. When given answers and people's opinions, you go on to question those opinions. Now, maybe it's just me, but this seems very suspicious behaviour for someone who seems to be innocently asking questions for their class, especially when we wasn't told this would be an open discussion, I got the impression you were here asking for research, not a debate. Now this kind of thing is used often by certain people here on these forums as a way to argue while trying to remain as though you're innocently asking for information. It's called JAQing off...
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/JAQing_off

Then again I could be completely wrong and if so I apologise, but do forgive us if some of us are a bit weary of a newb who's plodded along and done what you just did. Just bear in mind there's been people coming here under the very same guise (oh it's for my class project) just to try and have a debate.

*Edit* also, some of the questions you're asking and the manner in which they are being asked just seem suspiciously christard in appearence IMHO.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How worthless is Philosophy? vulcanlogician 125 5104 February 27, 2024 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  Philosophy Recommendations Harry Haller 21 1348 January 5, 2024 at 10:58 am
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  The Philosophy Of Stupidity. disobey 51 3415 July 27, 2023 at 3:02 am
Last Post: Carl Hickey
  Hippie philosophy Fake Messiah 19 1542 January 21, 2023 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  [Serious] Generally speaking, is philosophy a worthwhile subject of study? Disagreeable 238 12355 May 21, 2022 at 10:38 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  My philosophy about Religion SuicideCommando01 18 2559 April 5, 2020 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: SuicideCommando01
  High level philosophy robvalue 46 4880 November 1, 2018 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: DLJ
  Why I'm here: a Muslim. My Philosophy in life. What is yours;Muslim? WinterHold 43 8188 May 27, 2018 at 12:20 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential Edwardo Piet 82 11648 April 29, 2018 at 1:57 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Revolution in Philosophy? Jehanne 11 2259 April 4, 2018 at 9:01 am
Last Post: Jehanne