Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 3:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do you believe?
Why do you believe?
Its a simple question: Why do you believe in your religion?

I would like a brief explanation of why you believe what you believe. And maybe when did you start believing and to you have complete conviction that your faith is true or is is a culturally believe. Do you actually believe in your heart 100% what you believe?
I am not looking for holy book quotes or because I do or god commands it, or any BS like that. I would like a proper answer and if your not willing to give me one, don't bother posting.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
RE: Why do you believe?
(November 30, 2012 at 9:58 am)Gooders1002 Wrote: Its a simple question: Why do you believe in your religion?

I would like a brief explanation of why you believe what you believe. And maybe when did you start believing and to you have complete conviction that your faith is true or is is a culturally believe. Do you actually believe in your heart 100% what you believe?
I am not looking for holy book quotes or because I do or god commands it, or any BS like that. I would like a proper answer and if your not willing to give me one, don't bother posting.

No theists are anywhere near capable of providing the info you seek. Really, you don't ask much... But it's too much.
Because "Screw logic!" has a nice ring to it. Big Grin
This isn't hard to answer lol. I believe because Christianity is true. History has verified it over and over again. Chrisitanity on planet earth has been the theme of religion for the last 2,000 years. When did I start believing? When I studied the facts and learned for my self.
(November 30, 2012 at 8:00 pm)The truth Wrote: This isn't hard to answer lol. I believe because Christianity is true. History has verified it over and over again. Chrisitanity on planet earth has been the theme of religion for the last 2,000 years. When did I start believing? When I studied the facts and learned for my self.

How has history verified it to be true over and over again? And what facts did you study?
"How has history verified it to be true over and over again? And what facts did you study?"
Lol, ask the the scolars of today they are my facts.
(November 30, 2012 at 8:21 pm)Voltron Wrote:
(November 30, 2012 at 8:00 pm)The truth Wrote: This isn't hard to answer lol. I believe because Christianity is true. History has verified it over and over again. Chrisitanity on planet earth has been the theme of religion for the last 2,000 years. When did I start believing? When I studied the facts and learned for my self.

How has history verified it to be true over and over again? And what facts did you study?
Must have studied some hard facts....
The dinosaurs.
Hinduism.
Greek mythology.
Physics.
Biology.
(November 30, 2012 at 8:31 pm)The truth Wrote: "How has history verified it to be true over and over again? And what facts did you study?"

Which scolars?
(November 30, 2012 at 8:31 pm)The truth Wrote: "How has history verified it to be true over and over again? And what facts did you study?"

I asked you.
And what scholars? Since you brought it up.

Just out of interest.

Would you consider the conquest and brutal slaughter of the south american natives through sowrd, gunpowder, slave labor, inquisition and smallpox in the name of the Spanish crown and the catholic church
-
proof of christianities truth and power? or catholic truth?

Would you consider Cromwells brutal slaughter of the Irish catholics by a puritan army as proof of calvinist christianities truth?

You would also have to acknowlege the conquest of north africa by the arabs aswell as the fall of constantinopel as proof of islams truth.
-

Or what specific historic events prove your god to be the truth for you?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Why Atheism is Incoherent & You Aren't as Smart as You Think You Are Seax 60 4909 March 19, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  What do you believe in that hasnt been proven to exist? goombah111 197 23994 March 5, 2021 at 6:47 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Why you all need others, to believe? LastPoet 24 3826 December 26, 2019 at 10:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Ways to Get Into Heaven! Or Whatever You Believe in! Jade-Green Stone 14 2539 January 24, 2019 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: deanabiepepler
  Look i don't really care if you believe or don't believe Ronia 20 7888 August 25, 2017 at 4:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  People assuming you believe in a God Der/die AtheistIn 35 10221 July 19, 2017 at 10:24 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Theist Posters: Why do you believe your God exists? SuperSentient 65 14465 March 15, 2017 at 7:56 am
Last Post: Cyberman
Question Why disbelievers believe? They believe in so called “God of the gaps”. theBorg 49 8502 August 27, 2016 at 12:25 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Why do you actually believe in God? Veritas_Vincit 162 18338 July 10, 2016 at 6:55 pm
Last Post: LivingNumbers6.626
  Most personally convincing reasons you don't believe. emjay 564 63545 July 9, 2016 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: Lucifer