Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Divine Revelation
Divine Revelation
Theists, please enlighten me on this topic. I was thinking today at work how this revelation stuff works, but in terms of the science. Does God create matter in your brain that gets interpreted as a revelation? Does he even violate his own natural laws at all? Furthermore, whatever explanation seems the most convenient, wouldn't the nature of revelations be a direct way of testing for a god? For example, if you believe particles materialise in your brain thus making you experience a revelation, wouldn't we be able to measure that, test it some more and possibly even witness God at work in you in that very moment?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
RE: Divine Revelation
I am not sure about the science behind it, but how it generally works is you can hear something once or it could be something you've heard 1000 times like John 3:16, and you will be able to see it for what it was meant to be. this could happen in a sermon, or it could happen as a result of a study, or you could simply wake from a dream. God is not limited on how He decides to reveal something.
(January 14, 2013 at 2:33 pm)Drich Wrote: I am not sure about the science behind it, but how it generally works is you can hear something once or it could be something you've heard 1000 times like John 3:16, and you will be able to see it for what it was meant to be. this could happen in a sermon, or it could happen as a result of a study, or you could simply wake from a dream. God is not limited on how He decides to reveal something.

That is spectacularly unimpressive.
A divine revelation then is a moment of clarity.
I have loads of those every day about all sorts of things.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(January 14, 2013 at 2:33 pm)Drich Wrote: I am not sure about the science behind it, but how it generally works is you can hear something once or it could be something you've heard 1000 times like John 3:16, and you will be able to see it for what it was meant to be. this could happen in a sermon, or it could happen as a result of a study, or you could simply wake from a dream. God is not limited on how He decides to reveal something.

In reality we call it credulity. John 3:16 is not hard for a non believer to understand, stop pretending that we cant understand it. We can, we just dont believe that that book is anywhere near a human biology science book, nor does it explain human psychology. It is a book of myth, nothing more.

No human invented morality. The same motifs of good or bad in myths can also and is also found in fiction like Huckleberry Finn or movies like Star Wars.

"God gave his son".

The idea of giving one's life for a greater good is not a new meme to humanity. People in prior cultures died in battle fighting to protect their clubs too.

All Christianity did was turn mundane human action into comic book super heros.

What the soldiers of D Day did was real sacrifice. And they didn't do it for fame or glory like god does. I only know of one WW2 soldier personally. I do not know the names of any of those who died on D Day.

That sacrifice without greed is something your god character cannot do.

He is a mafia boss as written in that book as a character and will only do you favors if you kiss his ass.

And the motif of the upstart going up against authority is also not new. Plato's story about Socrates had him questioning authority figures too. He too was sacrificed for questioning authority.

Christianity is the greatest myth ever sold.

Not to mention quoting any holy book of any religion is nothing but self serving circular reasoning.
(January 14, 2013 at 2:43 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote:

That is spectacularly unimpressive.
A divine revelation then is a moment of clarity.
I have loads of those every day about all sorts of things.

What makes it different is that it is an accurate moment of clarity concerning a verfiable revelation of God.
Quote:What makes it different is that it is an accurate moment of clarity concerning a verfiable revelation of God.

What you call 'verifiable' is nothing more than other nutcases agreeing that one nutcase's delusions are special.

If God is supposed to be above man's capacity to 'verify', how can his 'revelations' be any different?

Translation: Whenever Drippy has a stupid idea he thinks it is his fucking god talking to him.
Drich Wrote:What makes it different is that it is an accurate moment of clarity concerning a verfiable revelation of God.

See if you can spot the pattern.

"What makes it different is that it is an accurate moment of clarity concerning a verifiable revelation of Allah"
"What makes it different is that it is an accurate moment of clarity concerning a verifiable revelation of Yahweh"
"What makes it different is that it is an accurate moment of clarity concerning a verifiable revelation of Vishnu"
"What makes it different is that it is an accurate moment of clarity concerning a verifiable revelation of L Ron Hubbard".
"What makes it different is that it is an accurate moment of clarity concerning a verifiable revelation of Obe Wan"
(January 14, 2013 at 3:41 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
Drich Wrote:What makes it different is that it is an accurate moment of clarity concerning a verfiable revelation of God.

See if you can spot the pattern.

"What makes it different is that it is an accurate moment of clarity concerning a verifiable revelation of Allah"
"What makes it different is that it is an accurate moment of clarity concerning a verifiable revelation of Yahweh"
"What makes it different is that it is an accurate moment of clarity concerning a verifiable revelation of Vishnu"
"What makes it different is that it is an accurate moment of clarity concerning a verifiable revelation of L Ron Hubbard".
"What makes it different is that it is an accurate moment of clarity concerning a verifiable revelation of Obe Wan"
Only 3 out of 5 of your examples could be considered divine revelation.
Something I find funny is the fact that many Christians (of the same denomination or not, it doesn't matter) can claim divine revelation about the same bible verse, in the same situation, and identical contexts, but still end up with very different interpretations and results.

Obviously there is no underlying intelligent agent behind this occurrence, it is simply, as has been put forward already, a moment of realization where you find yourself interpreting a totally ambiguous passage in a different way than you did before. Nothing miraculous about that eh?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debunk the divine origin LinuxGal 35 2258 October 9, 2023 at 7:31 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Revelation 20:4 FlatAssembler 57 3433 August 1, 2023 at 2:56 pm
Last Post: FlatAssembler
  Divine Inspiration Foxaèr 172 16527 September 2, 2019 at 6:28 pm
Last Post: Stoneheart
  Revelation 21 10-27 Brakeman 29 7046 October 21, 2013 at 6:54 pm
Last Post: ThomM
  Does this alter anyone’s thinking about the "Beast" of Revelation? swordwords 7 2382 April 25, 2013 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: ronedee
  Formally Disproving Divine Command Theory FallentoReason 74 24350 April 21, 2013 at 9:27 am
Last Post: ThomM
  Divine Inspiration FallentoReason 71 19173 October 8, 2012 at 3:25 pm
Last Post: genkaus
  Personal revelation vs. free will Cyberman 51 16193 August 24, 2012 at 8:18 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Free Will vs Divine Won't - How God Favours Evil Cyberman 22 11790 April 1, 2012 at 11:35 am
Last Post: C Rod
  Pat Robertson's 2012 Revelation Erinome 19 8373 January 14, 2012 at 3:04 am
Last Post: 8BitAtheist