Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fetuses are people. Unless it costs the church money
Fetuses are people. Unless it costs the church money
Lawyers for Catholic hospital argue fetuses aren't people after being sued for wrongful death.

http://coloradoindependent.com/126808/in...ent-people
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
RE: Fetuses are people. Unless it costs the church money
Thinking
Laugh or vomit, laugh or vomit...well, vomiting is rather unpleasant, so I think I'll point and laugh (at the church).
Hilarious
Wait, there isn't a point and laugh smiley...
Spineless when faced with the law.
And this is why Catholics dogma should not have anything to do with medicine. My nephews Mr. Blue and Mr. Green were delivered with c-section over two months before they were supposed to be born due to difficulties with my sisters pregnancy. Even though the risks are great, they should have tried to save the babies. Fucking hypocrites!
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

See the other thread on this.

The hospital is not being hypocritical, rather its defence is pointing out that, given the law says an unborn child is not a person, it cannot issue a judgement on grounds that it is a person.

The law has to apply its principles consistently.

Its a typical "rag on the Catholics" media story - presenting an exceptionally twisted take on events, for people to affirm their existing prejudices.
(February 9, 2013 at 7:27 pm)Gabriel Syme Wrote: See the other thread on this.

The hospital is not being hypocritical, rather its defence is pointing out that, given the law says an unborn child is not a person, it cannot issue a judgement on grounds that it is a person.

The law has to apply its principles consistently.

Its a typical "rag on the Catholics" media story - presenting an exceptionally twisted take on events, for people to affirm their existing prejudices.

Yet, the catholic church has the strict position that a fetus is a person.
It also rejects the laws which state that a fetus doesnt have the right to personhood.

Therefor they are hypocritical when arguing in a court that a fetus is not a person, since they contradict their own legal position which they have previously expressed.
(January 23, 2013 at 8:27 pm)Kayenneh Wrote: And this is why Catholics dogma should not have anything to do with medicine.

Catholic opinion on medical matters is always based on the very best knowledge available.

For example, Its opinion on unborn children and abortion is based on the Science of Human embryology and is faithful to what we have learned from it.

It is secular society which introduces nonsense like "its a human being, but not a person", to distort understanding and avoid the inconveniences of what we have learned.

(January 23, 2013 at 8:27 pm)Kayenneh Wrote: Even though the risks are great, they should have tried to save the babies. Fucking hypocrites!

Normally when the "risks are great", wrt a womans life, critics of Catholicism urge abortion immediately. Only the woman matters they say, not the unborn child.

Yet here the criticism is for not doing enough for the unborn child, despite the great risks involved - the exact opposite argument.

These criticisms are mutually exclusive.

I think this demonstrates that many people start from the position that the Church is always wrong, regardless of what position it advances.

Cheers!
GS
(February 9, 2013 at 7:33 pm)Gabriel Syme Wrote:
(January 23, 2013 at 8:27 pm)Kayenneh Wrote: And this is why Catholics dogma should not have anything to do with medicine.

Catholic opinion on medical matters is always based on the very best knowledge available.

It is not all about the handling of knowlege.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/germ...78215.html

This is a report on a recent scandel here in Germany, where a catholic hospital refused to give a rape victim treatment, since that "could" potentialy lead to an abortion.
(February 9, 2013 at 7:33 pm)The Germans are coming Wrote: Yet, the catholic church has the strict position that a fetus is a person.
It also rejects the laws which state that a fetus doesnt have the right to personhood.

Guten abend Deutsch-lander!

Yes, from the science of human embyrology we know an unborn child is a human being, created at the moment of conception.

At that moment, a life is created with 46 chromosomes, 23 each from his/her fathers sperm and mothers egg. A form of life with 46 chromosomes is called a human being

The only difference between a human being at that moment, and a human being aged 10, 40, 60 or 80, is time.

(February 9, 2013 at 7:33 pm)The Germans are coming Wrote: Therefor they are hypocritical when arguing in a court that a fetus is not a person, since they contradict their own legal position which they have previously expressed.

The hospital is not arguing any point, its just referring to what the law says: an unborn child is not a person.

The defence is based on the laws own statues, not Catholic doctrine. It is the legal definitions which count in a court-room, not what Catholic doctrine says.

There is no hypocrisy involved.

People are only saying there is, because they want that to be the case!

Take it easy!
GS
I think you need to brush up on your definition of the word hypocrisy Gabriel...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The People of Light vs The People of Darkness Leonardo17 2 569 October 27, 2023 at 7:55 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Church sex abuse: Thousands of paedophiles in French Church zebo-the-fat 8 1241 October 7, 2021 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Silly church people Foxaèr 35 4524 March 27, 2018 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Money raising through child work Der/die AtheistIn 12 3353 December 11, 2017 at 3:08 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Church of England vs Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints vorlon13 13 4156 April 3, 2017 at 1:48 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  A Love and Money question mcolafson 10 1956 September 26, 2016 at 1:18 pm
Last Post: mcolafson
  Jesus and the money changers vorlon13 82 14465 August 10, 2014 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: Purplundy
  Where Is All My Grandma's Money Going? lezbehonest 21 3567 July 29, 2014 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Church update:children's church k2490 15 10519 June 26, 2013 at 7:59 am
Last Post: Rahul
  Two people reproduced 7 billion people. Phish 61 23948 April 10, 2013 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: John V