Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 5:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parents
Parents
Under what circumstances is it acceptable to cease contact with one's parents? Is there a different threshold when children/grandchildren are involved?
RE: Parents
I have been playing with the thought of seizing contact to my parents and actualy tried it once.
Yet I have constantly found myself reestablishing contact.

My decision to do this was rather personal and still effects me today, but I am not the kind of person to discuss such personal problems in public.
I can simply add that it is hard, and that no matter how bad ones releationship to ones parents may be, completly seizing contact is almoust impossible.

My father had a horrible abusive father who pritty much bullied him into even leaving the country he was born in, yet they still have some contact.
You don't get to choose your family. Unless they actually dangerous I would keep at least some contact. Would a card at christmas suffice?

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(February 25, 2013 at 2:15 pm)festive1 Wrote: Under what circumstances is it acceptable to cease contact with one's parents? Is there a different threshold when children/grandchildren are involved?

On days that end in V, when the sun shines or it's raining...... Thinking

(fuck em if they can't take a joke Festive)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I haven't seen my father in 8 years, haven't spoken to him in 5, we had very limited contact for at least 15 years. I'm fine with this. I accept the next time I see him, he'll either be on his deathbed or in a casket. That sounds dramatic, but it's true, and I'm okay with it. It's not what I like or want, but that's how it is. I did everything I could to try to have a relationship with him while preserving myself, it just doesn't work. He's very ill emotionally, very hurtful, and mean.
But when it comes to my mom… That's where I am filled with questions and self-doubt. I hadn't seen/spoken to her in 6 months until about a week ago. I had things I needed to say to her, so my therapist invited her for a session. I said what I needed to, she freaked out and left. She came back to the session, accosted me, leaving marks on my arms, demanding an explanation for something I can't explain. It has left me realizing she doesn't have anything to give. She loves me to the full extent of her capacity, but she is just very limited.
Now that I am a parent myself, I find it impossible to justify or understand some of the things she did or didn't do, where I was able to in the past. Intellectually, I know it's not about understanding the why, it's about accepting it for what it is. I want to forgive and feel compassion for her, but I'm really stuck on how to get there.
Then there's the matter of even if I forgive her, if she doesn't have anything to bring to the relationship, what's the point? I don't feel love and acceptance from her. I feel obligation, inadequacy, guilt, and shame.
She loves my kids in her way. I also feel she uses them in the sense that she can take pictures of them to her office and tell stories about them, to make herself seem more acceptable, normal, validated, or something. It's not about them, it's about her.
Is it better for kids to have a grandmother who loves them limitedly and conditionally, than to have no grandmother at all? Is it better for me to have a very limited, superficial mother, or none at all? I don't know.
My parents accepted in time that they were wrong to some extent and asked for forgiveness and a releationship with me.

I can only releate to you through my parents expiriences although I do not fully understand them.
Both my grandparents were cruel people who were extremly brutal with my parents (my german granddad actualy was a nazi)
Worst of all, neighter actualy accepted being wrong and feeling sorry in any way.
My english granddad actualy tried to in instruct my dad on how to raise me insisting he didnt give me a beating often enought.

Yet my parents never really managed to get lose of them, especialy my mother.

I came to the conclusion that these people were just "people of their time" and that for them understanding how modern people think and work isnt really possible.
And therefor it isnt always possible for them to notice when something they did was actualy wrong.
(February 25, 2013 at 3:50 pm)festive1 Wrote: Is it better for kids to have a grandmother who loves them limitedly and conditionally, than to have no grandmother at all? Is it better for me to have a very limited, superficial mother, or none at all? I don't know.

On this part I can perhaps be of some assistance. My paternal granddad was a drunk, gambler and was the man that inspired my own father to become such a dad to me and my sister that he never had. I remember as a small kid wondering why I never met him, but I got the explanation that it would probably hurt more people to meet him than it would do good. I accepted that and I have never regretted not meeting him.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

How do you people manage to talk about such things?

I simply cannot manage to talk about my problems and always make a big curve arround the "depression" threads.
Lots and lots of drugs and therapy… Actually, I'm very proud that I'm not on the drugs anymore (aside from the occasional Xanax for anxiety), but I still do the therapy. For me, I never spoke of this stuff, ever. I have been on lots of drugs, but, for me, it was therapy that really made the difference. Voicing all the shit that I wasn't supposed to helped. I believe that my depression and anxiety is not caused by a brain chemical imbalance, anyone who lived my experience would be just as messed up. For me, breaking the silence is very freeing and healing. My mother thinks otherwise.
As awful as this sounds, I kind of wish it was as clear cut as physical abuse. In my mind I could just say that these people, even though they are my parents, are just not safe for me or my kids to be around. Emotional abuse is more amorphous, but just as painful and scarring.
Anyhoo… thanks for listening. or reading… and if anyone has anything they'd like to add, a different perspective or whatnot, please do so.
I don't think people are particularly obligated to have contact with their parents, especially shitty parents. It sounds like your mother doesn't want to accept or even acknowledge some of the issues that you have with her. When you are an adult, if they want a relationship they have to play a little by your rules. You aren't under any obligation towards them simply for 'raising you.' Aside from that it's illegal not to feed and clothe a child, it's not extraordinary effort unless they are actually good parents.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dumb donald's parents? no one 2 455 October 13, 2020 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Are parents allowed to stay with little kids if infected with covid 19 ? Megabullshit 30 1814 April 3, 2020 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  About LGBT Parents Der/die AtheistIn 13 1671 December 24, 2017 at 5:42 am
Last Post: notimportant1234
  2 pieces of advice for future parents ErGingerbreadMandude 68 13100 November 17, 2017 at 8:07 am
Last Post: Cod
  Can I rant for a second, about parents NuclearEnergy 12 2210 December 20, 2016 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: PETE_ROSE
  Parents not taking there crying child outside at a restaurant or store Sterben 65 6128 May 2, 2016 at 9:15 pm
Last Post: Sterben
  How honest should parents be? paulpablo 282 54768 January 8, 2016 at 6:26 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  Fantastic Parents SteelCurtain 11 2199 June 2, 2014 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Getting dat holiday mail from the parents. Violet 13 4708 December 19, 2013 at 9:28 am
Last Post: Violet
  Were your parents violent? Something completely different 15 3022 September 22, 2013 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: Fruity