Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does pondering about philosophy actually accomplish anything?

I mean, don't get me wrong, I love asking big questions, but so often the big questions in philosophy are impossible to actually answer and don't seem to lead to much. And regardless of the answer, does it actually change anything? Has breakthroughs in philosophy done anything for the world, or is it just for ourselves and ourselves alone?
ronedee Wrote:Science doesn't have a good explaination for water

[Image: YAAgdMk.gif]

RE: Does pondering about philosophy actually accomplish anything?
Philosophy is a tool to obtain knowledge, but its not knowledge itself. The dogmatic tend to forget that.
(March 16, 2013 at 4:03 pm)CleanShavenJesus Wrote: Does pondering about philosophy actually accomplish anything?

I mean, don't get me wrong, I love asking big questions, but so often the big questions in philosophy are impossible to actually answer and don't seem to lead to much. And regardless of the answer, does it actually change anything? Has breakthroughs in philosophy done anything for the world, or is it just for ourselves and ourselves alone?

In one sense every science is a spin-off of philosophy. When a set of questions is poorly understood and no sure pathway to an answer is known, then it is in the domain of philosophy. Once the body of knowledge and an accepted set of procedures established for answering such questions has been settled on, it becomes its own field of study.

So philosophy is for those who like being in on the ground floor of hard questions. Of course some of those questions will strike some as much ado about nothing, and sometimes they will be right.

Answer: Karl Popper and falsifiability.

Quod erat demonstrandum.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I think it is a tool for clarifying language, which makes a big difference but actually doesn't really yield a lot of certain conclusions.

Certainty is only required in very small parts of life though to make adequate decisions.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How worthless is Philosophy? vulcanlogician 125 5282 February 27, 2024 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  Philosophy Recommendations Harry Haller 21 1419 January 5, 2024 at 10:58 am
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  The Philosophy Of Stupidity. disobey 51 3594 July 27, 2023 at 3:02 am
Last Post: Carl Hickey
  Hippie philosophy Fake Messiah 19 1604 January 21, 2023 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  [Serious] Generally speaking, is philosophy a worthwhile subject of study? Disagreeable 238 12991 May 21, 2022 at 10:38 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  My philosophy about Religion SuicideCommando01 18 2627 April 5, 2020 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: SuicideCommando01
  High level philosophy robvalue 46 4929 November 1, 2018 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: DLJ
  Why I'm here: a Muslim. My Philosophy in life. What is yours;Muslim? WinterHold 43 8230 May 27, 2018 at 12:20 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential Edwardo Piet 82 12006 April 29, 2018 at 1:57 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Revolution in Philosophy? Jehanne 11 2266 April 4, 2018 at 9:01 am
Last Post: Jehanne