Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 8:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do I sin because of Adam?
Do I sin because of Adam?
I was considering the xtian concept of sin and I suddenly thought, "Do I sin because of Adam?"

This brings up a few more questions: What would the world be like if Adam hadn't eaten the apple? Would there be evil in the world? If there was no evil, would lucifer still be god right-hand man? Would Jesus still have been born? Would bacon still be as tasty?

These are the questions that keep me up at night.

Ok, not really but it is an interesting thought.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Einstein
RE: Do I sin because of Adam?
Well, since the snake is said to be the devil, and he is the one who convinced Adam and Eve to eat the fruit, it is only reasonable to assume that if Lucifer is evil, then he was the first evil. God created him, knew he'd turn, knew he'd lead Adam and Eve astray...god works in mysterious ways?
Nope.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Angel Cloud
(April 2, 2013 at 9:39 pm)Darkstar Wrote: Well, since the snake is said to be the devil, and he is the one who convinced Adam and Eve to eat the fruit, it is only reasonable to assume that if Lucifer is evil, then he was the first evil. God created him, knew he'd turn, knew he'd lead Adam and Eve astray...god works in mysterious ways?

Dark, that is an excellent point. I had forgotten that lucifer fell before Adam ate the apple.

So the question is, what effect would evil have in this world if Adam had not eaten the apple? Evil would still exist, but man, being sinless would not be affected by it?

Hmmmm...curiouser and curiouser.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Einstein
(April 2, 2013 at 9:39 pm)Darkstar Wrote: Well, since the snake is said to be the devil,

Minor correction - before I forget. Wasn't a snake - it was a damned dragon. Big nitpick of mine, they seem to like to say shit like snake and fish now, rather than dragon and sea monster. Guess they realized how ridiculous they sounded.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(April 2, 2013 at 9:55 pm)Rhythm Wrote:
(April 2, 2013 at 9:39 pm)Darkstar Wrote: Well, since the snake is said to be the devil,

Minor correction - before I forget. Wasn't a snake - it was a damned dragon.

Damn the dragons!!!
Actually Genesis doesn't say anything about the snake being the devil. That's just what modern Christianity has added to the myth. The original story was partly an explanation as to why snakes don't have legs.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
LOL< you have to wonder who asked that though, don;t you, if that were the case? Of all the questions one might ask - "why don't snakes have legs" - and why would it have been so important? I like to think of as a way of drawing the narrative down from fantasyland and into our world. Like the refrain at the end of tons of fairy tales

"and that, children, is why...yadda yadda yadda"
The Greeks have a myth regarding a golden apple bearing tree protected by a dragon named Ladon. It is the story regarding the Hesperides. Makes one realize that it is just another piece of religious lore the Christians stole.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
The Hebrew word used in Genesis was:
נחש

v. to guess
nm. snake, serpent

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sin and death LinuxGal 35 2098 December 11, 2023 at 8:32 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Adam & Eve T.J. 4 1037 November 6, 2021 at 11:49 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  the nature of sin Drich 137 17873 August 11, 2020 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Adam & Eve Myth - Origins Gwaithmir 125 12968 July 13, 2019 at 11:49 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more. vorlon13 14 3062 August 1, 2017 at 2:54 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Sin and the Blame Game LadyForCamus 115 29735 June 20, 2017 at 7:37 pm
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  Without the Shedding of Blood There is No Remission of Sin Rhondazvous 231 57115 June 4, 2017 at 9:31 am
Last Post: Zenith
  Why Lust is bad, not gonna use "sin" reason but logical reason Rispri 27 5461 March 4, 2017 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Question for Christians regarding elimination of Sin ErGingerbreadMandude 11 2748 January 29, 2017 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: The Wise Joker
  I don't believe in Christianity primarily because of the brain SerenelyBlue 111 12551 September 20, 2016 at 12:30 am
Last Post: Cecelia