Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 9:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Doctrine of the Holy Trinity?
The Doctrine of the Holy Trinity?
Hi All,

I was reading through a number of threads/posts regarding the ntaure and existence of God (primarily the Christian God). Something struck me about the recurring definition I have seen and it's relation to the Doctrine of the Trinity of God.

If as I have heard, God is non-temporal and super-natural exclusively and Jesus is God (as the doctrine goes). Does not the fact that Jesus was at some point natural (as he existed in our world in the eys of christianity) contradict the definition of God laid out by christians? Obviously if God (part of God?) became natural he invalidates this description. Or am I missing something?

I appreciate that I may be missing some subtleties to the Trinity here but this has been bugging me for a while now.

Any Ideas?

Sam
"We need not suppose more things to exist than are absolutely neccesary." William of Occam

"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt" William Shakespeare (Measure for Measure: Act 1, Scene 4)

AgnosticAtheist
RE: The Doctrine of the Holy Trinity?
Jesus was 100% God and 100% man at the same time... is the full deal. Something (else) requiring Faith to believe in.

And with all the natural stuff, supposedly there was no proof of divine intervention to be had at the time (either). It's all consistent with a non provable God (if that was part of your question).
(September 9, 2009 at 7:05 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: Jesus was 100% God and 100% man at the same time... is the full deal. Something (else) requiring Faith to believe in.

And with all the natural stuff, supposedly there was no proof of divine intervention to be had at the time (either). It's all consistent with a non provable God (if that was part of your question).

But by the definition you have shared with me these two things are mutually exclusive.

God is supernatural & Man is natural.

You cannot say that God assuming natural form does not break that definition, as you said to me in the Atheism thread;

fr0d0 Wrote:If anything falls into the natural realm it becomes natural. God being supernatural breaks the theory again.

So god being natural would break his definition and ivalidate his existence.

As a point, I'm not using this argument to disprove God only to asses a weakness in the accepted hypothesis.

Sam
"We need not suppose more things to exist than are absolutely neccesary." William of Occam

"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt" William Shakespeare (Measure for Measure: Act 1, Scene 4)

AgnosticAtheist
Well I'm getting beyond myself here perhaps.. but Jesus being 100% God and 100% man does not = God = Man. Or that the two are the same. Jesus being alive now does not = an actual human. We, being made in God's image also contain God. Jesus is the perfect realisation of that. We can't attain that but strive for it.

Does that make sense? As I said, the belief in Jesus also requires faith. ie it isn't logical. We cannot know again.
(September 9, 2009 at 7:24 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: Well I'm getting beyond myself here perhaps.. but Jesus being 100% God and 100% man does not = God = Man. Or that the two are the same. Jesus being alive now does not = an actual human. We, being made in God's image also contain God. Jesus is the perfect realisation of that. We can't attain that but strive for it.

Does that make sense? As I said, the belief in Jesus also requires faith. ie it isn't logical. We cannot know again.

Okay, but Jesus cannot be 100% God & 100% Man ... by definition that is impossible.

In this instance I fail to see how that could be reasoned at all. Even if Jesus wasn't actually alive he was still within the natural universe and therfore was natural, him being God means that God was natural ergo; we have a contradiction which seems irreconsilable by reson.

I just find it strange how these two tenets of a religion seem logically incompatible. Yet are still accepted on nothing more than their face value as 'tenets of the religion'.

Sam

AgnosticAtheist
It doesn't just seem to be devoid of reason, it is!
*Yoda style* Make sense, it does not.

Quote:I just find it strange how these two tenets of a religion seem logically incompatible. Yet are still accepted on nothing more than their face value as 'tenets of the religion'.

That is exactly what religion is about. Accepting the information at face value without question.
The dark side awaits YOU...AngryAtheism
"Only the dead have seen the end of war..." - Plato
“Those who wish to base their morality literally on the Bible have either not read it or not understood it...” - Richard Dawkins
(September 9, 2009 at 8:07 pm)theVOID Wrote: It doesn't just seem to be devoid of reason, it is!

ROFLOL

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
The trinity means 1+1+1=1 It's bullshit. The other "1" is the Holy Spirit. The old Testament was the time of the Father, the New Testament was the time of the Son. All the time after that is the time of the Holy Spirit.

Technically, according to the Bible if you deny the Holy Spirit, you've earned a 1 way ticket to hell, no take backs. You're done, no matter how good of a person you are.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
Which is really really moral, how can we deny that(?!) We're fools(!) Duh(!)

EvF

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] The Trinity zwanzig 127 7383 January 23, 2021 at 10:31 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  The Holy War Johanabrahams 105 8511 July 17, 2020 at 9:11 am
Last Post: brewer
  Refuting trinity. Mystic 35 5346 April 8, 2018 at 2:15 pm
Last Post: JackRussell
  The Trinity Doctrine: Help me out, Christians GrandizerII 169 18024 February 9, 2018 at 8:48 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Is the Holy Spirit Misleading You? Rhondazvous 251 82788 July 12, 2017 at 10:17 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  The Trinity and Mary vorlon13 52 14532 May 30, 2017 at 12:28 pm
Last Post: Lek
  The Holy Bible - fact or fiction? val5662 101 13222 March 28, 2017 at 7:54 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  10 apologist mistakes about trinity Mystic 21 4121 April 2, 2016 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: athrock
  A doctrine of alienation Mystical 39 6396 September 23, 2015 at 11:52 am
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Holy Tree QuarkDriven 28 6842 July 23, 2015 at 12:30 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd