Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would theists become atheists if we found lifeform
Would theists become atheists if we found lifeform
Would theists become atheists if we found lifeform on a other planet?
And i mean real lifeform, not micro organism.
Or better yet, what if we found intelligent lifeform that have civilazations?

Cause as far as i know there are not mentions of other life on other planets in the bible or quran (or is there?).
I wonder even if there is mention of any planets at all in bible or quran. As far as i know only earth, moon sun and stars.
RE: Would theists become atheists if we found lifeform
Well, according to the Qur'an, there are other intelligent life forms such as the Jinn or Angels or maybe other things on other planets. The Qur'an itself states that the knowledge that humans have about the universe will always be a little, implying that there will always be undiscovered things, we will never know everything about the universe.
Djinn and angels are lifeforms? They probably shouldn't be so difficult to detect - if this were the case. What order do they belong in, whats our LCA (or are they aliens)?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(May 23, 2013 at 5:23 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Djinn and angels are lifeforms? They probably shouldn't be so difficult to detect - if this were the case. What order do they belong in, whats our LCA (or are they aliens)?
Angels are not possible to detect, Jinn on the other hand can be detected as and when they please, if they are dedicated. Angels are made out of light from outside the universe and the jinn are made from a type of energy, and they can travel at around the speed of light.
(May 23, 2013 at 4:54 pm)Dutchy Wrote: Would theists become atheists if we found lifeform on a other planet?
And i mean real lifeform, not micro organism.
Or better yet, what if we found intelligent lifeform that have civilazations?

Cause as far as i know there are not mentions of other life on other planets in the bible or quran (or is there?).
I wonder even if there is mention of any planets at all in bible or quran. As far as i know only earth, moon sun and stars.

Of course most of them will remain theists.

They will retroactively find passages in their ancient texts that they will be able to twist into meaning that extraterrestrial life was mentioned.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(May 23, 2013 at 5:28 pm)ideologue08 Wrote: Angels are not possible to detect,
A lifeform that's -impossible- to detect? That seems rather wishy washy bud. If they can't be detected...how did you determine that they were lifeforms?

Quote: Jinn on the other hand can be detected as and when they please, if they are dedicated.
So why aren't we detecting any? Do they all "not please"...siamese style, at once - indefinitely?

Quote: Angels are made out of light from outside the universe
I thought they were undetectable, how did you determine this? What're the basics of light based biology (as opposed to our carbon based biology) - how did they get into this universe, where did they come from (how many places are there to come from beyond this universe), and why doesn't light from our universe also result in angels?

Quote:, and the jinn are made from a type of energy, and they can travel at around the speed of light.
What type of energy? What are the basics of "mysterious energy" based biology?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I'm wondering how any entity that can travel at or around the speed of light manages to keep from going round the twist across the absolutely insane distances of (to all intents and purposes) empty space. Sudoku? Travel Scrabble?

"I Spy with my little eye, something beginning with V."
"Vacuum."
"Your go."

No, if you really want to actually get anywhere, lightspeed simply won't cut it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygE01sOhzz0
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
My guess is that the fuckers would declare a reinterpretation of their holy horseshit to include other beings on other worlds.
Min pretty much summed it up. Reinterpretation. Religion will be the death of itself eventually I think. burn the bridges at both in with you in the middle and eventually you fall with the bridge.
I'm confused. How does the existence of extraterrestrial life conflict with belief in God?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dear Atheists: what would convince you God/Christ is Real? JJoseph 207 10509 February 12, 2024 at 1:51 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Atheists will worship the Antichrist and become theists during the Tribulation Preacher 53 3264 November 13, 2022 at 3:57 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Atheists: What if Trump addressed your issues in America. Would you vote for him? Sanau 38 4505 March 30, 2020 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  What made you become an atheist? Atomic Lava 69 6197 December 12, 2019 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Angry Atheists and Anti-Theists Agnostico 186 18688 December 31, 2018 at 12:22 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven? DodosAreDead 91 11374 November 2, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  What made you become an atheist? Handprint 170 46387 October 3, 2018 at 5:06 am
Last Post: Cod
  Are some theists afraid of atheists? Der/die AtheistIn 146 48623 June 21, 2018 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Atheists are emotionally stronger than theists Alexmahone 92 13714 June 21, 2018 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Two Myths I Wish Atheists Would Stop Buying Into Rhondazvous 26 4629 June 7, 2018 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: chimp3