Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 11:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Worst atheistic argument?
Worst atheistic argument?
Just wondering what you think the worst atheistic argument is? This could be an argument you've used before, or one that someone told you (and you then poked holes in).

The whole "Can God create a rock so heavy he cannot lift it?" is one that I've used in the past, before I realised why it is an appalling use of logic (see Arcanus' first post in the debate thread for the reasons why). I've seen it used by clever people (I believe Dawkins used it in "The God Delusion") which is a shame.

So, what is your "worst" atheist argument?
RE: Worst atheistic argument?
Well, it's not very interesting but, in all honesty I think the worst is when an atheist just takes the piss and says that the God concept is so ridiculous and childish that it is definitely the case that God absolutely doesn't exist. Which is a logical fallacy, you can't prove a negative.

The fallacy of The Argument From Personal Incredulity in other words, it's not an entertaining answer, no - but it's honestly the technically worst argument I've heard I think. Because I think any arguments considered worse than this are probably just sub-categories of it.

EvF
That religion does nothing good in the world. It's a gross over generalization and the evils of religion are not so cut and dry as that. Religion has a great monopoly on charity
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
I think the worst would be:

1. God is a prick
2. Therefore he doesn't exist

No really, I've heard that one.

Rhizo
Rhizo:
Actually, from one perspective - that argument works. Because if by "prick" you just mean "prick" in the sense of the verb meaning 'to pierce or puncture', then if God is really just a prick in that sense - then he's merely a verb. And a verb that does exist. Now all that is being done then, is "God" is being used as a synonym for a mere verb. And a verb - isn't actually capable of creating a universe now is it? So if we accept that's all God is, is just a word - if we accept that as an axiom a tautology, true by definition - then he's not actually "God" as in the supernatural creator of the universe. So in the sense of a supernatural creator: God doesn't exist.

Of course in the above case though, in the sense of God simply being defined as the verb "prick", he would still exist; but I personally would see that as an unworthy definition and be strongly opposed to it, even if it was in the dictionary.

EvF
If you can't prove a negative... then what are all of these negative numbers? Smile Joke

I wouldn't now of any one argument to call "the worst"... I now of a set of bad ones, and a couple good ones, and a few that are alright... but I've yet to declare one the best, or the worst. Smile
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Quote:you can't prove a negative.

I keep running across that cliche . I think it's wrong.

Falsifiability is used constantly in science. IE proving X is not the case.

The logician does the same think when he uses a rule of inference to infer X is NOT the case[/quote].

A weakness of ALL arguments not supported by evidence is that few people seem aware of a basic principle of logical inference.: A logically valid argument MAY be true, but truth is not a condition.

[/quote]A rule of inference needn't preserve any semantic property such as truth or validity.[quote]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rules_of_inference
@ Eviie: I don't know if I should shoot you or myself!

@ Saerules: LOL - I'll have to remember that one LOL

@ Padraic: WHAT?? Wink Tongue
Can Jesus microwave a burrito so hot, that even he cannot eat it?
- Meatball
(September 17, 2009 at 11:37 am)Meatball Wrote: Can Jesus microwave a burrito so hot, that even he cannot eat it?

Yes. I believe that is the defining characteristic of Jesus.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is the worst religion in existence? Hi600 89 6197 May 6, 2023 at 12:55 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Pride - the worst sin according to C.S.Lewis Duty 72 7343 February 25, 2023 at 8:08 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
Information The worst thing according to Iranians Eclectic 2 847 September 19, 2022 at 4:32 pm
Last Post: Eclectic
  A question about atheistic “beliefs” (opinions, guesses, etc.) Frank Apisa 252 15660 June 30, 2021 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: Rahn127
  Atheistic calendar Interaktive 38 3523 December 26, 2019 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Make up your own atheistic quote Transcended Dimensions 56 9681 October 30, 2017 at 9:04 am
Last Post: brewer
  Could Gods hypothetically be atheistic scientists? causal code 5 2633 August 24, 2017 at 12:17 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Atheistic religions Der/die AtheistIn 21 6775 August 10, 2017 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  Who reacted the worst when you "came out" as an Atheist? godlessheatheness 45 4772 April 7, 2017 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Cephus
  The second most atheistic group in the world is... Gawdzilla Sama 15 3580 December 2, 2016 at 3:19 pm
Last Post: vorlon13