Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 2:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religion is nothing more than misplaced mythology
Religion is nothing more than misplaced mythology
I have argued this theme before in various threads but I thought that I should state my position more specifically in this thread.It is a simplistic but yet a logical view of things in my way of thinking.I personally feel that theology (the study of God) specifically in Christianity is not a legitimate field of study nor is it a form of philosophy.In my opinion it is a worldview based on mythological beliefs stemming from early mans ignorance of the world and the search for origins.

I have always stated that man created God and not the other way around and this statement is evident in the study of comparative religions.From early tribal religions to our modern form of worship and beliefs, mans stories have grown as the ages passed and knowledge was increased.Mythology according to the Sage dictionary is:Myths collectively; the body of stories associated with a culture or institution or person.Religious beliefs are derived from the institution of religion and therefore in my view fall under the realm of mythology.

What differentiates specifically;Judaism,Christianity,and Islam from the world of myth?The fact that they are not polytheistic is irrelevant.That they are monotheistic does not take away from the fact that they are just derivatives of more ancient and polytheistic systems of belief.This alone is convincing enough in my view that the biblical God or any god for that matter exists.All these other arguments regarding the attributes of God and his existence in a temporal or transcendental realm are nothing more than time consuming.From the position of an atheist by arguing about the existence of God and his attributes is acknowledging the possibility of his existence.By acknowledging as an atheist that he does not exist makes it silly to argue from a hypothetical position about a non existent being.It's akin to arguing about the attributes of Santa ex:How does he deliver all those toys to all the children all over the world in one night?Either he is omnipresent and is able to be everywhere at once or he is not bound by natural laws and is able to move at warp speed and perform his job efficiently.It sounds silly doesn't it?That is exactly how I feel when trying to argue about the existence of God with a theist who tries to use his form of logic (faith) and philosophy (theology) to prove the existence of a being who I have already come to the conclusion does not exist.

Basing myself on my assertions of the origins of religious beliefs is enough for me to outright deny the existence of gods and acknowledge that they are nothing more than the creation of the fertile mind of man.
There is nothing people will not maintain when they are slaves to superstition

http://chatpilot-godisamyth.blogspot.com/

RE: Religion is nothing more than misplaced mythology
Quote:Religion is nothing more than misplaced mythology
I have argued this theme before in various threads but I thought that I should state my position more specifically in this thread.It is a simplistic but yet a logical view of things in my way of thinking.I personally feel that theology (the study of God) specifically in Christianity is not a legitimate field of study nor is it a form of philosophy.In my opinion it is a worldview based on mythological beliefs stemming from early mans ignorance of the world and the search for origins.

An interesting,but I think limited view,which I do not share as a broad principle. Different world views I guess. Mine were formed over five years at university to begin,being exposed to range of different explanations.

I have not yet found at theory which explains the existence of religions to me satisfaction.

My views are along these lines;

ALL human behaviour has (or had) a purpose.Religion is virtually universal. Mythology attempts to explain all kinds of things (most history is also at least part myth),but is not the basis for religion.

Religion exists to meet human needs and desires:

At an individual level to help assuage the fear of death.To impose a sense order,meaning,purpose.safety and control [over one's life] where none exists.

When organised, religion is about power and social control.

That religions are irrational at best is a common fiction amongst the more insecure atheists. Religions tend to be very rational and logical within their own framework.For some reason ,a great many people seem to be of the [mistaken ] opinion that a logically valid inference MUST be true .
What is history, but a fable agreed upon? -Accredited to Napoleon.

I like how you think CP... and I cannot fathom how anyone would suggest that religion is anything more than a myth... although I would wonder how one defines what a 'god' is? Smile
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
I learned in the military to kiss (keep it simple stupid) and I feel this applies well in the study of religion.God is in my opinion what man would like the world and everything in it to be (wishful thinking) not based on facts but on mythology.

(September 26, 2009 at 1:09 am)chatpilot Wrote: I learned in the military to kiss (keep it simple stupid)

Well I'll be damned! I was taught that in the army too! Haha Its universal I guess Smile
The dark side awaits YOU...AngryAtheism
"Only the dead have seen the end of war..." - Plato
“Those who wish to base their morality literally on the Bible have either not read it or not understood it...” - Richard Dawkins
(September 26, 2009 at 1:09 am)chatpilot Wrote: I learned in the military to kiss (keep it simple stupid) and I feel this applies well in the study of religion.God is in my opinion what man would like the world and everything in it to be (wishful thinking) not based on facts but on mythology.

I do not conflate Occam's razor with ignorance,lack of imagination and plain stupidity.

EG That genius William Westmoreland used simple military logic in Vietnam. He was still playing chess in WW2. The Vietnamese were playing Go and humiliated the US. Stanley McChrystal is making the same mistakes in Afghanistan.The US will be handed its head, again..

Quote:There is a simple answer to everything- and it's wrong." ( P J O'Rourke)

PS: I also served as a grunt and would not have the chutzpah to use army logic as an example of anything,apart from an oxymoron.
padraic religious thinking in my opinion is primitive thinking

(September 25, 2009 at 10:07 pm)padraic Wrote: ALL human behaviour has (or had) a purpose.Religion is virtually universal. Mythology attempts to explain all kinds of things (most history is also at least part myth),but is not the basis for religion.

Religion exists to meet human needs and desires:

At an individual level to help assuage the fear of death.To impose a sense order,meaning,purpose.safety and control [over one's life] where none exists.

When organised, religion is about power and social control.

That religions are irrational at best is a common fiction amongst the more insecure atheists. Religions tend to be very rational and logical within their own framework. For some reason, a great many people seem to be of the [mistaken ] opinion that a logically valid inference MUST be true .
Great post Pedraic

When organised, religion can be about power and social control. Which is a motivating factor I'd agree

I wouldn't say that I'm of the opinion that a logically valid reference MUST be true. I just choose to go with the logical explanation.
I don't find any rationality in religion at all padraic, I think that once you get past the whole faith thing and see it for what it is: stories made up to account for origins you can view religion objectively.

(September 27, 2009 at 1:30 pm)chatpilot Wrote: I don't find any rationality in religion at all padraic, I think that once you get past the whole faith thing and see it for what it is: stories made up to account for origins you can view religion objectively.

Did you get a lobotomy to enable that CP?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Allegorical Religion better than Fundamentalism? vulcanlogician 147 7787 April 5, 2022 at 2:54 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  Young more likely to pray than over-55s - survey zebo-the-fat 16 1551 September 28, 2021 at 5:44 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Did Sai Baba deserve Nobel more than Mother Teresa? Fake Messiah 1 365 February 26, 2020 at 4:33 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Why Creationists don't realize the biblical Creation is just jewish mythology? android17ak47 65 8343 July 27, 2019 at 9:03 pm
Last Post: Haipule
  Is religion simply more about control than a god? GODZILLA 24 2873 January 8, 2019 at 11:58 am
Last Post: Drich
  God can make infinitely more special/valuable things than this universe blue grey brain 84 9542 December 17, 2018 at 7:15 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Baphomet more American than 10 Commandments Foxaèr 13 1445 August 22, 2018 at 9:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What would you do if you found out that God has nothing to do with religions? Little Rik 68 11602 October 8, 2017 at 4:31 pm
Last Post: energizer bunny
  Is our universe more complex than a t-shirt or not? ReptilianPeon 17 3667 September 27, 2016 at 10:35 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  More insight into religion: logical and emotional beliefs robvalue 22 3480 August 16, 2016 at 10:13 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet