Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 5:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
God's sacrifice
God's sacrifice
Recently had an dicussion with an Christian girl who's got a younger sister who is disabled. This of course tested her faith. How on earth can a loving God allow someone to suffer like that. An all loving God would cure her right? After some soul searching she came to the conclusion that God made her little sister like that so that she could become a better (and stronger) person.

Funny how an all powerfull, all loving God would allow people to die/live in such bad ways.

Also, if God knew us even before we were born and had our whole life planned, why did he allow people like Hitler, etc. to be born in the first place
RE: God's sacrifice
Because he's a mentally unstable sadist? Smile Funny how God disables some people, so that others feel stronger...
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
I'm back. Sooner than I said I would. Had a good break from listening to endless bullshit.

I know how people question their faith due to people's suffering. If god could of prevented it, he should if he is to be at all moral or decent. Failure to do so would either mean he can but won't which would mean he isn't all loving, can't and so doesn't which means he isn't all powerful or he doesn't know which means he isn't all knowing.

I used to suffer from asthma and badly, but thankfully I grew out of it. As time went by my asthma slowly died off. I once had to go to hospital since it was that bad. I'd still run, bike and swim even if that caused it. I didn't want it to control me.
Now a young lass that I know of who was about my age has asthma but hers is far stronger than mine. In fact, just about anything triggers her asthma. Now what I couldn't bare was to watch her suffer. If this is gods idea of perfection then I'm not impressed. I was feeling terribly guilty watching her suffer. I no longer have asthma but she does. Turns out, her asthma may be a permanent thing for her. I desperately wanted to help her out but there was nothing I could do to help. If god exists and is how theists describe the twat, then surely he could just click his fingers and help her out. That convinced me more than anything that if god is real, he is far from all loving. Even if he was proven to be real, I wouldn't worship the git.

Turns out, the lass was a theist.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
Quote:Funny how an all powerfull, all loving God would allow people to die/live in such bad ways.

God seems to be a bit of a douchebag!
Maybe he doesn't have nasty negative feelings, maybe he's not an evil God in that sense. Maybe he is completely devoid of emotion altogether. After all, he's apparently perfect, why would he need feelings? Why would he need to care? He's perfect so he doesn't need anything at all, our troubles are completely insignificant, he's 100% self-fullfilled, he doesn't need anything, he's perfect.

Just to play Devil's Advocate of course.

EvF
So God is a computer? He's just following his 'perfect' programming?
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
I guess.

EvF
(September 28, 2009 at 4:53 pm)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: Maybe he doesn't have nasty negative feelings, maybe he's not an evil God in that sense. Maybe he is completely devoid of emotion altogether. After all, he's apparently perfect, why would he need feelings? Why would he need to care? He's perfect so he doesn't need anything at all, our troubles are completely insignificant, he's 100% self-fullfilled, he doesn't need anything, he's perfect.

Just to play Devil's Advocate of course.

EvF

Oh good one but you missed something. God is supposedly all knowing. So he'd know what pain is like, how suffering felt and would also know how to remove all of that. To know everything means exactly that. It's because he knows everything that is to be known about it means failure to help or even think of that persons pain would be at most careless and would mean far from all loving. So why bother worshiping him?

Here's another point. God created everything right? Well that would mean he created cancer, tumas, blindness, pain, depression and everything that would full under the category of negative/unpleasant. Can't be all loving can he? All in all.....god is one big selfish arsehole.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
If he knows everything, indeed he knows what pain is like. But since he is 100% perfect he doesn't need anything, so he doesn't need to care that it hurts, and since he is omnipotent it cannot hurt him either. So despite his knowledge and the fact he knows how much horror is in the world, why would he care? He could intellectually know how bad the pain is, without actually giving a shit because he's perfect, and he therefore doesn't need to. He doesn't need to care about anything, he's, apparently, perfect. Emotion is petty to him, everything is. In fact, he doesn't need to do anything if he's perfect. So 1. Why would he need to create the universe in the first place if he was perfect already and didn't need to, and 2. If creating the universe is what fulfilled him, and made him perfect, then from then on, being perfect, he wouldn't need to actually do anything further, so no wonder he doesn't bother to do anything. He's done his job and he's apparently perfect and 100% fulfilled now.

If he doesn't give a shit, that doesn't make him selfish. Because he doesn't care about himself either if he's perfect, he doesn't need to. He's fulfilled. He doesn't need emotions. He's like a computer.

A super-perfect computer could understand how emotions feel, without needing to actually care because it's perfect. Emotions would be insignificant to it, it would merely know how they feel because it knows everything, because that's part of it's infinite perfection.

EvF
Mmm think we missed an easy sollution to our problem here: Mark 11:24 - Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it and it will be yours...

Yet many people (including Christians) still die of hunger, aids, violence, etc. Just comes to show you that God allows evil to exist and sitting back while people die. Not a loving God at all!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sacrifice Shuffle 82 12580 August 29, 2015 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: Shuffle
  Jesus sacrifice and why it didn't count dyresand 30 5102 August 1, 2015 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Jesus' Sacrifice Nope 59 11436 March 9, 2015 at 5:16 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why is Christ's death considered a sacrifice? RobbyPants 74 15711 August 8, 2014 at 2:08 am
  Child Sacrifice in the Old Testament Mudhammam 91 26631 January 28, 2014 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  "WHAT" sacrifice truthBtold 12 4282 January 10, 2014 at 7:32 pm
Last Post: Ryantology
  God is god, and we are not god StoryBook 43 12333 January 6, 2014 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: StoryBook
  If Jesus came back to life....what was his sacrifice? Ucaslog1 101 31580 November 27, 2013 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: Tonus
  Why blood sacrifice? Raven 38 14411 July 19, 2013 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  What Sacrifice ? Cinjin 96 27325 April 17, 2013 at 7:27 pm