Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who's the greater wingnut? Parents or Judge?
Who's the greater wingnut? Parents or Judge?
http://news.yahoo.com/tenn-judge-changes...23538.html

A baby's parents are in court because they can't decide on a child's last name. Meanwhile, the judge decides she doesn't like their choice of first name either and orders it changed.

"NEWPORT, Tenn. (AP) — A judge in Tennessee changed a 7-month-old boy's name to Martin from Messiah, saying the religious name was earned by one person and "that one person is Jesus Christ."

Child Support Magistrate Lu Ann Ballew ordered the name change last week, according to WBIR-TV (http://on.wbir.com/1cDOeTY). The boy's parents were in court because they could not agree on the child's last name, but when the judge heard the boy's first name, she ordered it changed, too."

I'm going with the judge being the Greater Wingnut (GW). So nobody can be named "Messiah" in Tennessee? How about "Jesus"?
RE: Who's the greater wingnut? Parents or Judge?
I'm actually with the judge on this one (for different reasons). Children can be very mean and a child named Messiah will have a very difficult time in school.
Any spelling mistakes are due to my godlessness!
I think the judge overstepped her authority.

And her comments are, in fact, outrageous.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
This was on the news last night. The dumb bitch overstepped her authority big time. She was to decide on the child's last name, not determine if the first was socially acceptable. Her reason? 'Messiah' is a title that only one man has...the Lord'. The fact she is worried that other christians(because no one else would care) would haze the boy shows she knows how petty her co-religionists can be.

When asked about kids named Jesus, she said something about that not being a part of her case.

Good fucking gravy!
(August 12, 2013 at 10:56 am)ITChick Wrote: I'm actually with the judge on this one (for different reasons). Children can be very mean and a child named Messiah will have a very difficult time in school.

The name will be problematic; I agree. But, so are many, many other names. Kids can make even a benign name something bad.

Martin is a much nicer name, but forcing parents to change a stupid name seems a bit much.

The main "irk" for me is that the name change was done on a religious basis. I think the judge's religious beliefs were insulted and she was going to use her state power to put a stop to it.
If I were that woman, I would claim that my religion said that my son is the messiah and my religious beliefs had been violated.

Nothing gets shit done in an American courtroom like claiming your religious rights have been trampled upon.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(August 12, 2013 at 11:12 am)JesusHChrist Wrote:
(August 12, 2013 at 10:56 am)ITChick Wrote: I'm actually with the judge on this one (for different reasons). Children can be very mean and a child named Messiah will have a very difficult time in school.

The name will be problematic; I agree. But, so are many, many other names. Kids can make even a benign name something bad.

Martin is a much nicer name, but forcing parents to change a stupid name seems a bit much.

The main "irk" for me is that the name change was done on a religious basis. I think the judge's religious beliefs were insulted and she was going to use her state power to put a stop to it.

So?

If the judge has the authority to rule on a sir name based on what she believes to be right what law says she can not rule on a given name?

Both sides seem pretty close to the bottom of the barrel in intellect. I don't know that it is necessary to draw a distinction here. They are all assholes.
(August 12, 2013 at 12:07 pm)Drich Wrote: So?

If the judge has the authority to rule on a sir name based on what she believes to be right what law says she can not rule on a given name?

The parties came before the court to ask for an order on selecting a LAST name. The parties did not ask the court to decide on a FIRST name.

She could also rule the mom has to wear a skirt no more than 2" above the knee. Her ruling on the first name is completely arbitrary and unwarranted.
(August 12, 2013 at 12:07 pm)Drich Wrote: So?

What law is she basing her decision on? Blasphemy?

Get a clue, would ya?

And that should be 'surname'. A sir name would be Reginald, Lionel, or whatever the mistress to a house of lords member yells during sex.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Should I tell my parents I faked being christian? Der/die AtheistIn 26 5685 January 15, 2018 at 12:38 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  Do my parents fear that I'll leave the faith? Der/die AtheistIn 120 22980 January 14, 2018 at 2:55 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Do Christian Parents Abuse their Children? Bow Before Zeus 177 27267 November 29, 2017 at 12:33 pm
Last Post: Shell B
Sad My parents have gone off the deep end Tea Earl Grey Hot 25 6077 March 8, 2017 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: J a c k
  Parents Charged in Beating Death of Son at Church JesusHChrist 56 9443 October 22, 2015 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Pentecostal Parents Mister Agenda 30 9143 October 15, 2015 at 12:01 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Girl dies of stupid parents Jacob(smooth) 401 49949 January 30, 2015 at 12:40 pm
Last Post: Thackerie
  Jesus, Least Fit Moral Judge DeistPaladin 335 151289 November 28, 2014 at 2:25 pm
Last Post: Esquilax
  So I'm sitting here at my parents' house... SteelCurtain 21 4952 June 9, 2014 at 3:57 pm
Last Post: RobbyPants
  A question for parents BrokenQuill92 23 7253 March 6, 2014 at 9:06 am
Last Post: thesummerqueen