Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 10:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christian "Morality"
Christian "Morality"
Christians do the right thing for fear of hell.

I do the right thing because I don't fear hell.

How can christians be "moral" if their only reason to do something is out of fear? When did fear justify good behavior? When did fear justify righteousness?

Discuss.
RE: Christian "Morality"
That`s a generalisation.

I do right because I am part of a society, a comunity. I want to be a productive and admired part of my comunity and not a paria, which is what is part of what generates my moral values.

Who says that religious people are not aware of the role within a comunity that they have.
I think it's inaccurate to believe all Christians are good for fear of hell. I certainly was not in fear of hell as a believer. I was a good person because I chose to be. Catholic priests for instance would have a strong fear of hell while molesting kids in gods house and yet that doesn't stop them. Now I'm an unbeliever and surprisingly: I'm still a good person. Religion or irreligion has nothing to do with it.
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]
You know, it's funny....

When I was a christian I tried
so hard not to lust after women.
And now that I'm an atheist I
don't have a problem with "lust",
I just find women sexually attractive.
Religion is poison.
Quote:Christians do the right thing for fear of hell.

I disagree. Some Christians will behave a certain way out of the fear of hell, certainly. But whether such actions constitute the 'right thing' is problematical.

Quote:I do the right thing because I don't fear hell.

I sincerely hope you don't mean that. I can't imagine you saying, 'I'm going to do such and such because I'm unafraid of hell.'

Quote:How can christians be "moral" if their only reason to do something is out of fear? When did fear justify good behavior? When did fear justify righteousness?

But we haven't established that this is the case. Christians, like anyone else, may be motivated to do things by for a number of reasons. I suspect that most mainstream Christians keep a Bible in their homes, go to regular services and say daily prayers out of fear of hell, but I doubt very much that the first thought of a Christian going to help an injured child is, 'I'd better do this, or I'll go to hell.'

If you look back through some of the worst atrocities committed by religionist in general (not just Christians), the motivation for [/i]bad[i] behavior seems to have been fear ('I'd better burn these Jews so God will love me.' 'I'd better fly planes into these buildings so God will love me.')

People (you, me, Christians, anyone) are moral not because of their religious beliefs, but in spite of them.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
In my opinion, "Be good because you've learned what the cost and reward are for your morals" is a better way to dicover your true self than "Be good or I'll torture you for all eternity!"
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.”
- Buddha
"Anyone wanting to believe Jesus lived and walked as a real live human being must do so despite the evidence, not because of it."
- Dennis McKinsey
Even more amazing is when xtian shits knowingly do wrong, tell pappy jesus they are sorry and insist they are back on the heaven track.

Assholes.
(September 23, 2013 at 7:17 pm)sarcasticgeographer Wrote: I do the right thing because I don't fear hell.

Honestly?
I do the right thing out of fear of my wife's wrath. We all have our reasons for being good Wink
[Image: 10314461_875206779161622_3907189760171701548_n.jpg]
I am good because I do not know how to be truly bad.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 88914 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Bibe Study 2: Questionable Morality Rhondazvous 30 2851 May 27, 2019 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: Vicki Q
  Christian morality delusions tackattack 87 9014 November 27, 2018 at 8:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  pop morality Drich 862 140919 April 9, 2016 at 12:54 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Question to Theists About the Source of Morality GrandizerII 33 7648 January 8, 2016 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: Godscreated
  C.S. Lewis and the Argument From Morality Jenny A 15 6207 August 3, 2015 at 4:03 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  The questionable morality of Christianity (and Islam, for that matter) rado84 35 7515 July 21, 2015 at 9:01 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Stereotyping and morality Dontsaygoodnight 34 8153 March 20, 2015 at 7:11 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  You CAN game Christian morality RobbyPants 82 17601 March 12, 2015 at 3:39 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Challenge regarding Christian morality robvalue 170 35939 February 16, 2015 at 10:17 am
Last Post: Tonus