Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:03 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Step Brothers' Philosophy
Step Brothers' Philosophy
I was talking with my Step Brother today about the normal stuff we talk about, religion, government, politics, technology, gaming, etc. What he brought up, was the possibility of well... and "afterlife"

Not how most people would picture an afterlife, but here is the scenario.

You are a Christian, have been, always will be, til the day you die.

Well, one day, your god didn't save you, and at the young age of 50, you die from a heart attack.

While as your heart may be beat, your brain, is still very much viable.

Your brain can process, and experience at a much faster pace when you're asleep, or hallucinating.

For instance, if you take DMT, you will trip out for what feels like hours, but in reality was just 15 minutes.

Another example would be a dream, when you dream, you're only in REM sleep for a limited time, yet on some nights it may feel like you have multiple dreams, for multiple hours. If you are a skilled Lucid Dreamer, you can even control yourself in that dream, yet time, or more so, your perception of time, is skewed, if even in existence at all.

So, theoretically, if you were to die, with your brain still in tact, wouldn't you technically have an "afterlife"

For what is only maybe a few minutes, of your brain still functioning after your body has perished, could it not feel like a lifetime?

So if you were christian, and thought you were going to heaven, couldn't you die, and your brain hallucinate persay as to you being in heaven?

I just thought his idea on such matter was cool, I'm not saying I agree with his ideas, but I think its plausible.
RE: Step Brothers' Philosophy
What difference would it make? Sounds like the continued delusions of the departed. It wouldn't change the reality of it one whit.
REM sleep comes in cycles, several times per night. So it's perfectly possible to have (and recollect) several separate episodes. Also: Lucid Dreams are super-awesome. Nobody has fully lived who hasn't had control of their own dreams. Fun!

As for death-- while a heart stopping signals imminent death, I think when you've had your last experience would be the right time to officially call it game over. So if your brain is still cranking along, I don't think you're dead-- you are dying.

As for time: I've also considered that as the sense of time breaks down, the subjective experience you have could seem like an eternity. Perhaps it is your state of mind as you are dying that determines whether that seemingly eternal moment is pleasant or unpleasant. Or. . . you might just fall asleep and never wake up (what with being dead and all).
Quote:REM sleep comes in cycles, several times per night. So it's perfectly possible to have (and recollect) several separate episodes. Also: Lucid Dreams are super-awesome. Nobody has fully lived who hasn't had control of their own dreams. Fun!

Fuck You Benny, I have amnesia! *runs away crying* Panic

(amnesia is significant because You only "have" dreams if You remember them in the first place. You dream every night, but You can only remember a certain number of dreams. Waking up in the middle of the night usually allows You to remember what You were dreaming before You wake up in the morning)
You should watch the BBC show Life on Mars.

It's about this dude who's in a coma but living a life that's extremely real in his own head.
(September 30, 2013 at 7:51 am)Walking Void Wrote:
Quote:REM sleep comes in cycles, several times per night. So it's perfectly possible to have (and recollect) several separate episodes. Also: Lucid Dreams are super-awesome. Nobody has fully lived who hasn't had control of their own dreams. Fun!

Fuck You Benny, I have amnesia! *runs away crying* Panic

(amnesia is significant because You only "have" dreams if You remember them in the first place. You dream every night, but You can only remember a certain number of dreams. Waking up in the middle of the night usually allows You to remember what You were dreaming before You wake up in the morning)
Lucid dreaming is a learned skill. Basically, keep a journal and do a few psychological "tricks" while you're awake to train yourself to recognize when you're dreaming. It's all over the internet, and I think you will remember dreams within a couple days, and have a lucid dream in less than a month if you're willing to work a little.

I've had a few lucid dreams in my life, and all I can say is holy freaking crap! Anyone who thinks dreams are vague, abstract impressions lacking detail or meaning doesn't know what they are talking about. In that state, if anything, experiences feel richer and more detailed than they do in waking life. It's very different than the "random memory dump" of normal dreams.

But the best part of lucidity is the freedom to choose your dream content. I sometimes foolishly chose to hear music (really heard music made in my head) instead of the more obvious choice: sex with the entire women's beach volleyball league in my oceanside mansion.
Quote: Lucid dreaming is a learned skill. Basically, keep a journal and do a few psychological "tricks" while you're awake to train yourself to recognize when you're dreaming. It's all over the internet, and I think you will remember dreams within a couple days, and have a lucid dream in less than a month if you're willing to work a little.

Coincidentally, I recently purchased a memo pad because my memory is so shitty. Now I try to record what happens whenever I can.

Edit: Woops, quoted myself. No one even said what I said, so it would be hilarious to ask, "who the fuck said THAT?"!
Actual death is when your brain ceases functioning, so those two or so brief seconds between your heart ceasing to beat and brain death isn't an afterlife, but the final few moments of a life. But once the brain dies, then there is no more activity in it. Game over.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(September 30, 2013 at 12:44 am)udunson Wrote: I was talking with my Step Brother today about the normal stuff we talk about, religion, government, politics, technology, gaming, etc. What he brought up, was the possibility of well... and "afterlife"

Not how most people would picture an afterlife, but here is the scenario.

You are a Christian, have been, always will be, til the day you die.

Well, one day, your god didn't save you, and at the young age of 50, you die from a heart attack.

While as your heart may be beat, your brain, is still very much viable.

Your brain can process, and experience at a much faster pace when you're asleep, or hallucinating.

For instance, if you take DMT, you will trip out for what feels like hours, but in reality was just 15 minutes.

Another example would be a dream, when you dream, you're only in REM sleep for a limited time, yet on some nights it may feel like you have multiple dreams, for multiple hours. If you are a skilled Lucid Dreamer, you can even control yourself in that dream, yet time, or more so, your perception of time, is skewed, if even in existence at all.

So, theoretically, if you were to die, with your brain still in tact, wouldn't you technically have an "afterlife"

For what is only maybe a few minutes, of your brain still functioning after your body has perished, could it not feel like a lifetime?

So if you were christian, and thought you were going to heaven, couldn't you die, and your brain hallucinate persay as to you being in heaven?

I just thought his idea on such matter was cool, I'm not saying I agree with his ideas, but I think its plausible.

Generally speaking, death is measured by brain activity not heartbeat (bloodflow).

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How worthless is Philosophy? vulcanlogician 125 5291 February 27, 2024 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  Philosophy Recommendations Harry Haller 21 1424 January 5, 2024 at 10:58 am
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  The Philosophy Of Stupidity. disobey 51 3594 July 27, 2023 at 3:02 am
Last Post: Carl Hickey
  Hippie philosophy Fake Messiah 19 1604 January 21, 2023 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  [Serious] Generally speaking, is philosophy a worthwhile subject of study? Disagreeable 238 12993 May 21, 2022 at 10:38 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  My philosophy about Religion SuicideCommando01 18 2629 April 5, 2020 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: SuicideCommando01
  High level philosophy robvalue 46 4929 November 1, 2018 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: DLJ
  Why I'm here: a Muslim. My Philosophy in life. What is yours;Muslim? WinterHold 43 8236 May 27, 2018 at 12:20 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential Edwardo Piet 82 12006 April 29, 2018 at 1:57 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Revolution in Philosophy? Jehanne 11 2266 April 4, 2018 at 9:01 am
Last Post: Jehanne