Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 12:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheist or really Agnostic
Atheist or really Agnostic
To truly be an atheist is to claim that there in no God. But that very claim is to pose an absolute negation about a supreme being. It would be extremely hard to prove such an absolute negation. Even if you could look throughout the entire universe, which you cannot, and found no God, that still would not prove that God does not exist. It would at best prove that God could not be seen.

Because of this, it is impossible to absolutely claim that there is no God. A person could be fairly convinced of their position, but they could not prove it. In essence they would logically have to be an agnostic, with a personal belief that to the best of their knowledge, there is no God. But then logically they are agnostic. They really do not know.

Since logically they are agnostic, they must allow for the possibility that God may exist, if they are to be true to a logical position. They certainly can keep their personal belief of no God, unless they could be shown that God does exist. But an honest agnostic must allow for the possibility that God exists.

Those that claim that they will always be an atheist, may be showing that it is not logical to absolutely claim that there is no God, but a bias to not even consider the evidence.
RE: Atheist or really Agnostic
(September 30, 2013 at 6:44 am)SavedByGraceThruFaith Wrote: To truly be an atheist is to claim that there in no God. But that very claim is to pose an absolute negation about a supreme being. It would be extremely hard to prove such an absolute negation. Even if you could look throughout the entire universe, which you cannot, and found no God, that still would not prove that God does not exist. It would at best prove that God could not be seen.

Because of this, it is impossible to absolutely claim that there is no God. A person could be fairly convinced of their position, but they could not prove it. In essence they would logically have to be an agnostic, with a personal belief that to the best of their knowledge, there is no God. But then logically they are agnostic. They really do not know.

Since logically they are agnostic, they must allow for the possibility that God may exist, if they are to be true to a logical position. They certainly can keep their personal belief of no God, unless they could be shown that God does exist. But an honest agnostic must allow for the possibility that God exists.

Those that claim that they will always be an atheist, may be showing that it is not logical to absolutely claim that there is no God, but a bias to not even consider the evidence.

Hence why I identify as agnostic atheist. Anybody that claims to hold absolute proof about the non-existence of god is making just as hefty a claim as the gnostic theist.

I still think that gods are merely products of human invention since this is the conclusion the evidence presented to me has led me to, and therefore I lack a belief in deities. I'm not making an absolute truth claim on that though.

Oh and one more technicality, to truly be an atheist means to lack a belief in god, not to claim there is none. To lack a belief in one covers both agnostic atheism and strong atheism. To specifically claim that none exist as an absolute truth value statement only covers strong atheism.
freedomfromfallacy » I'm weighing my tears to see if the happy ones weigh the same as the sad ones.
(September 30, 2013 at 6:44 am)SavedByGraceThruFaith Wrote: To truly be an atheist is to claim that there in no God.
Not true, all you have to do to be an atheist is disbelieve

(September 30, 2013 at 6:44 am)SavedByGraceThruFaith Wrote: Because of this, it is impossible to absolutely claim that there is no God.
Correct, in the same way that it is impossible to absolutely claim that there his a god

(September 30, 2013 at 6:44 am)SavedByGraceThruFaith Wrote: A person could be fairly convinced of their position, but they could not prove it. In essence they would logically have to be an agnostic, with a personal belief that to the best of their knowledge, there is no God. But then logically they are agnostic. They really do not know.
You know you can be both right, the terms aren't mutually exclusive
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
This thread is a joke, yeah? I can't hardly wait for the punchline.
I'm not calling myself an agnostic when the fact is most of the gods people have taken the time to define and describe in detail do not exist. There isn't even a good definition of god that would make god's existence plausible.

But if you go by what you said then all theists should be agnostic as well.
(September 30, 2013 at 7:01 am)pineapplebunnybounce Wrote: I'm not calling myself an agnostic when the fact is most of the gods people have taken the time to define and describe in detail do not exist

How do you know that? Wink
freedomfromfallacy » I'm weighing my tears to see if the happy ones weigh the same as the sad ones.
(September 30, 2013 at 7:10 am)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:
(September 30, 2013 at 7:01 am)pineapplebunnybounce Wrote: I'm not calling myself an agnostic when the fact is most of the gods people have taken the time to define and describe in detail do not exist

How do you know that? Wink

Cos the descriptions/definitions contradict. At least those I've heard of. Is there a coherent definition of god?
[Image: atheist_chart.gif]
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
(September 30, 2013 at 6:58 am)Rationalman Wrote:
(September 30, 2013 at 6:44 am)SavedByGraceThruFaith Wrote: To truly be an atheist is to claim that there in no God.
Not true, all you have to do to be an atheist is disbelieve

(September 30, 2013 at 6:44 am)SavedByGraceThruFaith Wrote: Because of this, it is impossible to absolutely claim that there is no God.
Correct, in the same way that it is impossible to absolutely claim that there his a god

(September 30, 2013 at 6:44 am)SavedByGraceThruFaith Wrote: A person could be fairly convinced of their position, but they could not prove it. In essence they would logically have to be an agnostic, with a personal belief that to the best of their knowledge, there is no God. But then logically they are agnostic. They really do not know.
You know you can be both right, the terms aren't mutually exclusive

To believe that God exists does not require an absolute negation at all. It just needs positive evidence that God exists. So there is no comparison.

I believe the Holy Bible is true.
It claims to be from God Almighty.
It proves itself in many ways.

The atheists does not have a book which claims to be from their supreme being. It would say "I am God I do not exist"

The Holy Bible is a record of historical events. These events show that God exist.
The atheist has no record of the no God''s actions.

The saved have the witness of the Holy Spirit in them.
The atheists has the witness of the nobody.

The existence of the universe is a very strong proof of the existence of its Creator.
The atheist must try to explain it away.
All attempts have failed.
Bam! Punchline!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hello Atheists, Agnostic here, and I would love to ask you a question about NDEs Vaino-Eesti 33 5652 April 8, 2017 at 12:28 am
Last Post: Tokikot
  One Agnostic's View of the New Atheists Randy Carson 68 8992 September 27, 2015 at 6:40 pm
Last Post: abaris
  54% of Uk males non-religious or agnostic. downbeatplumb 34 9007 January 27, 2015 at 1:57 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  I'm afraid of being agnostic, I need help TaosFlower 75 11263 January 7, 2015 at 7:44 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  The ahh so your really agnostic argument Lemonvariable72 15 5247 October 1, 2013 at 9:19 am
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  One in six clergy in holland either agnostic or atheist. downbeatplumb 19 7002 August 7, 2011 at 2:01 am
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  1 in 6 Dutch Protestant priests atheist or agnostic | BBC Anymouse 3 4923 August 5, 2011 at 7:19 am
Last Post: Justtristo