Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 4:49 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deny Science and you Don't get to Use Science
Deny Science and you Don't get to Use Science
I was watching the Daily Show with Jon Stewart and his interview with Susie Essman. She talked about people who refuse to accept science, saying they see the Dinosaur bones with human foot prints, and then stated that she thinks if people deny science like that, they should be denied scientific technology. "Don't like the big bang, you can't have a cell phone" or something to that effect. I found it amusing and on a certain level I agree, although I know it's impossible. But it has always frustrated me when people knock Science down when it's convenient for their deeply held beliefs, no matter what the reason, (Religion, Ghosts, alternative medicine) but happily use the internet, their radio, a car, and don't think "Hey, science doesn't know anything, how can I trust these things actually work? For instance, the science for radio waves is just as good as the science for carbon dating, yet creationists will easily accept one, and deny the other. Gah, it's baffling to me.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
RE: Deny Science and you Don't get to Use Science
E,

I saw that interview this morning, it was funny!

I go to a camp out with my parents every memorial day which includes their whole church, many of the people I grew up with, so I know them and they are all Christians. My mind almost breaks sometimes when they will talk about cancer patients, who undergo chemo, their cancer goes into remission, and they proclaim, "Praise the Lord!" Huh, how about yay medical science?

Rhizo
Agreed. It's really frustrating how people can whole-heartedly bash science without appreciating the hard work the goes into it, and the results that brought civilization to where we are now. Nope, it's devil work.

They don't trust carbon dating for dinosaur fossils, but the Shroud of Turin has been proven to be 2000 years old!
- Meatball
Sounds like a very good idea, problem is that most of those people want to live in the dark ages anywayClap

I thought of a similar idea with AR people deny them all the stuff that has resulted from animal research, but apart from moving them all to a desert island to fend for themselves it would be impossible.

A
EE WA EE WA, WIGGY WIGGY WIGGY, PLUNGA A PLUNGA A
(October 27, 2009 at 5:01 pm)Meatball Wrote: Agreed. It's really frustrating how people can whole-heartedly bash science without appreciating the hard work the goes into it, and the results that brought civilization to where we are now. Nope, it's devil work.

They don't trust carbon dating for dinosaur fossils, but the Shroud of Turin has been proven to be 2000 years old!
It was my understanding that the Shroud of Turin was last dated at around 1300 700 years. 13th-14th century was the date recorded in 1988 by 3 teams of scientists from different research labs. The date also corresponds to the first time the shroud appeared in church history.
Quote:They don't trust carbon dating for dinosaur fossils, but the Shroud of Turin has been proven to be 2000 years old!

Really? When was that,and by whom? I'm not doubting you,I just hadn't heard. The last thing I heard about is the same as Adrian. Viz; about 700 years,not 2000.
Eilonnwy Wrote:I found it amusing and on a certain level I agree, although I know it's impossible.

Quote:cell phone...internet, their radio, a car

Susie Essman and you would have science put out of business on principle. Well, it had a good run.
(October 27, 2009 at 10:56 pm)padraic Wrote:
Quote:They don't trust carbon dating for dinosaur fossils, but the Shroud of Turin has been proven to be 2000 years old!

Really? When was that,and by whom? I'm not doubting you,I just hadn't heard. The last thing I heard about is the same as Adrian. Viz; about 700 years,not 2000.

Indeed. That's a known hoax.

Besides, you can make your own.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
(October 27, 2009 at 5:01 pm)Meatball Wrote: They don't trust carbon dating for dinosaur fossils,

I am assuming you are talking about Christians here. But keep in mind, no evolutionist would trust carbon dating for dinosaur fossils either. Carbon dating is only good up to about 50,000 years and since dinosaurs, according to evolutionists, lived 65 million years ago, it is not useful for their fossils.
Indeed. He perhaps should have used the word "radiometric" dating Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jews don't get a pass from me either. Brian37 13 1474 December 24, 2019 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Ways to Get Into Heaven! Or Whatever You Believe in! Jade-Green Stone 14 2518 January 24, 2019 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: deanabiepepler
  Look i don't really care if you believe or don't believe Ronia 20 7833 August 25, 2017 at 4:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Don't you just love the hypocrisy of religion. ignoramus 86 22197 July 16, 2017 at 7:04 am
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  If God of Abraham is true, then why didnt he use his intelligent design to make a new Roeki 129 44743 July 9, 2017 at 2:11 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Religious expressions in everyday use ukatheist 28 2943 December 3, 2016 at 10:02 am
Last Post: Casca
  Most personally convincing reasons you don't believe. emjay 564 63374 July 9, 2016 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: Lucifer
  Why the religious will never admit you won the argument (and why they don't care) Veritas_Vincit 166 20127 June 30, 2016 at 1:00 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  What right and left get wrong on Islam..... Brian37 0 1122 March 11, 2016 at 8:21 am
Last Post: Brian37
  But don't you know? Foxaèr 48 9362 April 19, 2015 at 8:53 pm
Last Post: robvalue