Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 1:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Islam will fail long term.
Why Islam will fail long term.
Just like women in the west were once oppressed by Christianity, Islam will fail too in oppressing their women.

RE: Why Islam will fail long term.
You don't fuck with women, learned that lesson a long time ago.[/joke]
(November 12, 2013 at 7:51 am)ToriJ Wrote: You don't fuck with women, learned that lesson a long time ago.

It's not a matter of "fucking with women", it is a matter of humanity accepting the ability of the individual and the credibility of the individual.

Ann Coulter deserves to be "fucked with" verbally because she is a huckster. Her sex does not give her taboo status.

It is a human rights issue, and girls like this should not just be heros to girls or women, but to men as well.
(November 12, 2013 at 7:40 am)Brian37 Wrote: Just like women in the west were once oppressed by Christianity, Islam will fail too in oppressing their women.

Don't worry the weak, pathetic men among us will use some other bullshit social construct as a device to subjugate women when all religion is finally gone.

Even without religion we are still human and (to use a Star Trek analogy) the world is shaping up to be less like Gene Rodenberry's utopia and more like the inside of William Shatner's space suit.

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
Yea but the idea of openess and questioning will make it harder for men, religious or not to do such things.
I wonder if shooting little girls in the face for going to school has a bigger immediate effect of scaring others into obedience, or of creating more dissident girls?

You can keep people cowed for a pretty long time if you shoot them when they try to get an education. I just don't know if enough will get educated enough, and have enough support, to change things soon. Malala has some pretty rocking parents- I don't expect many girls in fundamentalist Islamic cultures have parents that open-minded, or that willing to fight.

But on the other hand, there are plenty of progressive Muslims.
(November 12, 2013 at 9:58 am)Brian37 Wrote: Yea but the idea of openess and questioning will make it harder for men, religious or not to do such things.

I'd like to think that was true, I really would. I think there has to be some acknowledgement of what we have achieved with our social constructs but my experience is all we succeed in doing is force the perpetrators to be more devious in their behaviour.

I think the idea that 'good will out' is a very important driver for many people on many levels but my experience of reality is that this is wishful thinking.

But then, perhaps I'm just a heavy-hearted being.

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
Quote:Just like women in the west were once oppressed by Christianity, Islam will fail too in oppressing their women.

I'm not sure that this constitutes a 'failure' of Islam. The end (by and large) of the oppression of Christian women hardly equates to the failure of Christianity.

And Islam has been around for about 1400 years - fairly long term already, innit?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(November 12, 2013 at 10:05 am)Zazzy Wrote: I wonder if shooting little girls in the face for going to school has a bigger immediate effect of scaring others into obedience, or of creating more dissident girls?

You can keep people cowed for a pretty long time if you shoot them when they try to get an education. I just don't know if enough will get educated enough, and have enough support, to change things soon. Malala has some pretty rocking parents- I don't expect many girls in fundamentalist Islamic cultures have parents that open-minded, or that willing to fight.

Not enough. A bigger population of progressive Muslims in the west, but not in the east. Although there are cracks growing in the east.
(November 12, 2013 at 10:05 am)Zazzy Wrote: I wonder if shooting little girls in the face for going to school has a bigger immediate effect of scaring others into obedience, or of creating more dissident girls?

I think the sort of act like shooting Malala has short term effect of emboldening would be oppressors by opening the eyes of many to the new territory for oppression. But in the long run it hollows out a religion by introducing widespread doubt about the fundamental legitamacy of that religion as a net force for desirable social change.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Why do I say that Islam is an evil religion? Eclectic 85 7261 November 8, 2022 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Liberal Movement in Islam or Western Islam, the fight against islamic extremism Ashendant 16 7729 December 20, 2019 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: Deesse23
  So if Muhammad had long hair why so many muslim male having short hair? Ruckus123 3 1163 April 12, 2018 at 7:07 am
Last Post: chimp3
  Hubble's Law in the Quran long before Hubble's own discovery WinterHold 49 17892 January 7, 2018 at 1:29 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  This is why islam is vomitously evil. Brakeman 41 4890 January 21, 2016 at 5:20 pm
Last Post: Marsellus Wallace
  Why do Atheists defend Islam? Mechaghostman2 260 39483 January 15, 2016 at 9:17 am
Last Post: Dasboot
  Why homosexuality is forbidden in islam huss88ein 133 16145 July 20, 2015 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: Regina
  Why are so many people afraid to attack Islam? hilary 16 4384 July 20, 2015 at 8:47 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  IS: "Islam was never a religion of peace. Islam is the religion of fighting" Napoléon 11 5421 May 15, 2015 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Hatshepsut
  Words fail me. Regina 17 3029 April 30, 2015 at 4:52 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon