Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:57 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
reality shows
reality shows
I've never been a fan of them, although i will watch pawn stars and did watch American chopper from time to time.

That being the case I was contacted by our corporate office and asked if I wanted to be apart of the reality show they were filming up north. Apparently because of a small contract dispute we had, and al the fuss it generated the higher ups thought it would be a good idea to bring me on board as a source of potential conflict. (They said I am very opinionated and would bill me as a 'mad scientist' of sorts because of my technical expertise.) I declined because it is my opinion that shows like this even if they are successful tends to devalue a given business creditability, by airing out their dirty laundry all of the time. To which they came back at me with the benefits and the various success stories. I said we are not making duck calls or selling retail items. We sell very expensive equipment with a high demand for technical expertise. The last thing people who buy our equipment want to see is Jersey shore meets hunny boo boo, then have to call us and pay us a premium for help.

But, I could be wrong. What do you all think?
RE: reality shows
I would never trust anyone making a reality show to project a good image. Their job is to get ratings, not make the people on the show look good. If they think they can get people to watch by making you or your product look bad, they will.

But they've definitely got you pegged with the 'mad' part.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Drich Wrote:Apparently because of a small contract dispute we had, and al the fuss it generated the higher ups thought it would be a good idea to bring me on board as a source of potential conflict. (They said I am very opinionated and would bill me as a 'mad scientist' of sorts because of my technical expertise.)

Faith No More Wrote:But they've definitely got you pegged with the 'mad' part.

ROFLOL

Drich I think You should sign up, it will be a good show.
I would be very leery in signing up. They've already said they want to portray you as a "mad scientist" type, so chances are they're going to make you look crazy (or even crazier than you really are).

I'm firmly convinced there is very little "reality" in reality TV. I don't watch very many, but quite a few of them you can tell things were staged because the people on the shows aren't that good of actors.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(November 19, 2013 at 11:32 am)Faith No More Wrote: I would never trust anyone making a reality show to project a good image. Their job is to get ratings, not make the people on the show look good. If they think they can get people to watch by making you or your product look bad, they will.
This. Reality show episodes probably only air a tiny fraction of the footage that they record, and they need to create a narrative. That narrative doesn't have to be truthful, it just has to provide some kind of conflict, at least one twist to create some suspense, and a resolution that leaves some plot points open to keep viewers coming back. However you comport yourself, you might find that their edited portrayal of you is nothing like what you really are, and possibly very unflattering because hey... RATINGS!
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
Be sure to wear a yellow shirt with a dark green suit and to part your hair down the middle in every episode.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
(November 19, 2013 at 11:28 am)Drich Wrote: I've never been a fan of them, although i will watch pawn stars and did watch American chopper from time to time.

That being the case I was contacted by our corporate office and asked if I wanted to be apart of the reality show they were filming up north. Apparently because of a small contract dispute we had, and al the fuss it generated the higher ups thought it would be a good idea to bring me on board as a source of potential conflict. (They said I am very opinionated and would bill me as a 'mad scientist' of sorts because of my technical expertise.) I declined because it is my opinion that shows like this even if they are successful tends to devalue a given business creditability, by airing out their dirty laundry all of the time. To which they came back at me with the benefits and the various success stories. I said we are not making duck calls or selling retail items. We sell very expensive equipment with a high demand for technical expertise. The last thing people who buy our equipment want to see is Jersey shore meets hunny boo boo, then have to call us and pay us a premium for help.

But, I could be wrong. What do you all think?

I was contacted by Channel 4 to appear on come dine with me after I sent them a verbose complaint letter.
I think they are just after opinionated arseholes to set against each other.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Drich, of one thing I am most sure, if you do this you will regret it for a very long time.
Strictly speaking, reality tv simply means that it is unscripted. Other than that they can do as they please with the footage they shoot, and they will.
You'll come out looking like a total loon (seeing as how you'd be the "mad scientist").

you said: "we are not making duck calls or selling retail items. We sell very expensive equipment with a high demand for technical expertise. The last thing people who buy our equipment want to see is Jersey shore meets hunny boo boo, then have to call us and pay us a premium for help."
I think you make a very good point there. Smile
“To terrify children with the image of hell, to consider women an inferior creation—is that good for the world?”
― Christopher Hitchens

"That fear first created the gods is perhaps as true as anything so brief could be on so great a subject". - George Santayana

"If this is the best God can do, I'm not impressed". - George Carlin

For instance, You might have another 1 of your "arguments" all the while the editing crew is panning in on your face, and amplifying your voices.
Ignore these arseholes and throw caution to the wind.

Do it!!!

It's a perfect vehicle for you to stump for Jesus, and surely that trumps any potential worldly concerns you have over your image and career, amirite?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Institution" and food shows. Brian37 17 1078 February 17, 2020 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  "Top 10 Shows That Could Be The Next Game of Thrones." Gawdzilla Sama 11 927 May 21, 2019 at 10:00 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Why are children allowed to act in TV shows/movies? Alexmahone 10 2545 May 27, 2018 at 7:44 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Steve Martin Comedy vs. Religious Reality AFTT47 1 444 February 9, 2018 at 6:56 am
Last Post: Succubus
Video My new video: abstract systems versus reality robvalue 2 557 January 15, 2017 at 12:43 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Virtual reality girlfriend Macoleco 76 7199 October 17, 2016 at 4:47 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Yet another reality question! RozKek 41 3802 June 9, 2016 at 12:49 am
Last Post: emjay
  Virtual reality and the future RozKek 14 1945 June 6, 2016 at 6:32 am
Last Post: RozKek
  What are your favorite TV shows? Catholic_Lady 91 9841 October 11, 2015 at 5:06 am
Last Post: Horineko
  Sad Reality :( Heat 23 4643 September 16, 2015 at 6:39 pm
Last Post: Salacious B. Crumb