Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will the church of England go extinct
Will the church of England go extinct
Lets hope so.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/11/..._hp_ref=uk

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

RE: Will the church of England go extinct
The maths point that way yes.
The average age of the congregation is approximately 7 years from life expectancy, That means there has been no significant numbers of fresh church-goers for the last 3 generations.
As such as the people in the pews now are dying off and not being replaced meaning that the number of members the church has, show a quarter-life of around 7 years (ie; in 7 years the number of church-goers will have fallen by around 25%) and over that time the average age will have crept closer to life expectancy. As such the average age of church-goers will equal life expectancy within about 20 years, at which point the church goes into free-fall.
Rowan Williams tried to change the church's course but was ultimately defeated by the Laity and thus whilst it may be theoretically possible for the church to turn things around, for practical purposes I suspect the point of no return has already been passed.
Financially the position of the church is a time bomb as they have held onto church buildings far longer than they can support them by income generated by the congregation, and this is exacerbated by closing smaller parish churches and falling back on the absurd white elephants of the cathedrals due to their iconic status.
The British Government moves monolithically slowly so I suspect that at least 1, probably 2 general elections will be fought following the church becoming non-viable, before it is disestablished. So about 30 years.
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.
RE: Will the church of England go extinct
(November 19, 2013 at 4:17 pm)Mr Greene Wrote: The maths point that way yes.
The average age of the congregation is approximately 7 years from life expectancy, That means there has been no significant numbers of fresh church-goers for the last 3 generations.
As such as the people in the pews now are dying off and not being replaced meaning that the number of members the church has, show a quarter-life of around 7 years (ie; in 7 years the number of church-goers will have fallen by around 25%) and over that time the average age will have crept closer to life expectancy. As such the average age of church-goers will equal life expectancy within about 20 years, at which point the church goes into free-fall.
Rowan Williams tried to change the church's course but was ultimately defeated by the Laity and thus whilst it may be theoretically possible for the church to turn things around, for practical purposes I suspect the point of no return has already been passed.
Financially the position of the church is a time bomb as they have held onto church buildings far longer than they can support them by income generated by the congregation, and this is exacerbated by closing smaller parish churches and falling back on the absurd white elephants of the cathedrals due to their iconic status.
The British Government moves monolithically slowly so I suspect that at least 1, probably 2 general elections will be fought following the church becoming non-viable, before it is disestablished. So about 30 years.

Darwinism applies to most things. Only the adaptable survive. If it changes and adapts, it will survive. If not, it doesn't deserve to.
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Church sex abuse: Thousands of paedophiles in French Church zebo-the-fat 8 1241 October 7, 2021 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Church of England 'failed to protect children from sexual abusers' zebo-the-fat 25 1991 October 8, 2020 at 7:11 pm
Last Post: no one
  Church of England 'colluded' with sex abuse bishop Peter Ball zebo-the-fat 4 1729 June 22, 2017 at 12:18 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Church of England vs Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints vorlon13 13 4156 April 3, 2017 at 1:48 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  "Nones" now outnumber Christians in England and Wales Angrboda 17 2912 May 27, 2016 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: account_inactive
  Hey, Look! They Have Assholes In England, Too! Minimalist 8 2487 February 3, 2016 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  England to drop swearing on bible in court. downbeatplumb 16 3313 October 21, 2013 at 5:53 am
Last Post: Lion IRC
  Why do animals go extinct? Bad Wolf 11 2655 July 9, 2013 at 6:02 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Church of England makes Chichester child abuse apology zebo-the-fat 7 3613 July 8, 2013 at 8:34 am
Last Post: Napoléon
  Church update:children's church k2490 15 10518 June 26, 2013 at 7:59 am
Last Post: Rahul