Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 9:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Nones" now outnumber Christians in England and Wales
"Nones" now outnumber Christians in England and Wales
Quote:The number of people who say they have no religion is rapidly escalating and significantly outweighs the Christian population in England and Wales, according to new analysis.

The proportion of the population who identify as having no religion – referred to as “nones” – reached 48.5% in 2014, almost double the figure of 25% in the 2011 census. Those who define themselves as Christian – Anglicans, Catholics and other denominations – made up 43.8% of the population.

“The striking thing is the clear sense of the growth of ‘no religion’ as a proportion of the population,” said Stephen Bullivant, senior lecturer in theology and ethics at St Mary’s Catholic University in Twickenham, who analysed data collected through British Social Attitudes surveys over three decades.

“The main driver is people who were brought up with some religion now saying they have no religion. What we’re seeing is an acceleration in the numbers of people not only not practising their faith on a regular basis, but not even ticking the box. The reason for that is the big question in the sociology of religion.”

People of no religion outnumber Christians in England and Wales – study
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
RE: "Nones" now outnumber Christians in England and Wales
Clap   I keep saying that I need to move back to the land of my ancestors.  (My Ancestry DNA test reads 96% British Isles, most of that good ol' English.  I burn under fluorescent lighting, prefer tea to coffee, and am passably intelligent - surely I could assimilate?)  I'm pretty sick of Bible Belt USA.  Any of you Brits know of a job available?
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
(May 26, 2016 at 3:52 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote:
Quote:The number of people who say they have no religion is rapidly escalating and significantly outweighs the Christian population in England and Wales, according to new analysis.

The proportion of the population who identify as having no religion – referred to as “nones” – reached 48.5% in 2014, almost double the figure of 25% in the 2011 census. Those who define themselves as Christian – Anglicans, Catholics and other denominations – made up 43.8% of the population.

“The striking thing is the clear sense of the growth of ‘no religion’ as a proportion of the population,” said Stephen Bullivant, senior lecturer in theology and ethics at St Mary’s Catholic University in Twickenham, who analysed data collected through British Social Attitudes surveys over three decades.

“The main driver is people who were brought up with some religion now saying they have no religion. What we’re seeing is an acceleration in the numbers of people not only not practising their faith on a regular basis, but not even ticking the box. The reason for that is the big question in the sociology of religion.”

People of no religion outnumber Christians in England and Wales – study
Within the next 50 years England will be 60% muslim.
(May 26, 2016 at 4:05 pm)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote:
(May 26, 2016 at 3:52 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: People of no religion outnumber Christians in England and Wales – study

Even if it is within the muslim community itself Atheism is growing as well as the nons. Islam maybe growing but religious nons are far surpassing the growth of islam world wide.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
Wyrd of Gawd Wrote:
Quote:Within the next 50 years England will be 60% muslim.

5% to 60% in 50 years? That's what, doubling every 15 years? Quite a trick. Does it assume that British Muslims still in school today will have as many children as their parents did?
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(May 26, 2016 at 4:05 pm)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote:
(May 26, 2016 at 3:52 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: People of no religion outnumber Christians in England and Wales – study

Izlam ! ze great dangerouz expansion !
Zem Muzlimz...INVADERZ ! MZLIMZ!

Kill kill !
Burn burn !

Is there any way to unswallow my pride?
Can I fuck myself down?
Why die when you can kill the father,
Dad is missing an 'E'
Now Macbeth confessed Oedipus no longer present tense
Now Macbeth confessed Oedipus no longer present tense

???? Never thought that people turn to IZLAM IZLAM because the father is missing  an 'E'?

That tasty rhyme !
(May 26, 2016 at 4:05 pm)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote:

Population of England in 2016 is 53 million of which 3 million are muslim. Assuming the non-muslim population remains static, an extra 75 million muslims would have to be added in order to reach 60%. That's 1.5 million a year for the next 50 years.

Have really thought this through have you.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. — Edward Gibbon

It's WoG, people. He's a barely contained troll that tries to inflame every thread. He makes his stats up just like Donald Trump.

Don't feed the troll.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(May 26, 2016 at 7:52 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: It's WoG, people. He's a barely contained troll that tries to inflame every thread. He makes his stats up just like Donald Trump.

Don't feed the troll.

Intolerant people really get pissed when other people express contrary opinions to theirs.  It's been that way since humans first learned how to talk.  It's been my observation across countless internet forums that when intolerant people get pissed because they have nothing of value to add they start engaging in ad hominem attacks.

"UK Muslim population of 26 million by 2051?"
http://www.thecommentator.com/article/56...on_by_2051

It's only 35 years to 2051, at which time the potential 26 million will be about half of the current population of 53 million.  That still leaves 15 more years.  And with 26 million they will exercise considerable political clout.
Nicely done Brits.

Wait, has the number of murders gone sky high because half the population now have no morality?

You'd think I'd notice every other person being a murderous barbarian.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Church of England 'failed to protect children from sexual abusers' zebo-the-fat 25 1932 October 8, 2020 at 7:11 pm
Last Post: no one
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7772 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Church of England 'colluded' with sex abuse bishop Peter Ball zebo-the-fat 4 1725 June 22, 2017 at 12:18 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Church of England vs Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints vorlon13 13 4144 April 3, 2017 at 1:48 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Why do Christians become Christians? SteveII 168 31176 May 20, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Hey, Look! They Have Assholes In England, Too! Minimalist 8 2477 February 3, 2016 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Christians. Prove That You Are Real/True Christians Nope 155 51117 September 1, 2015 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  so you're in heaven now what? - coming soon so you're in hell now what v2 dyresand 8 2710 July 13, 2015 at 12:24 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  And now (if it weren't already blatant enough) we know... Lucanus 7 2669 August 23, 2014 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  The first Christians weren't Bible Christians Phatt Matt s 60 15784 March 26, 2014 at 10:26 am
Last Post: rightcoaster