Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 5:57 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm getting confirmed Catholic...
I'm getting confirmed Catholic...
I have to spend over 5 hours at church every week, take confirmation classes, go on retreats, go to bible study, etc. And I have to get confirmed a Catholic. My parents aren't leaving me much of a choice and it's bothering me so much. I'm going to loose my mind! What should I do?:/ Should I go along with it to keep the peace?):
RE: I'm getting confirmed Catholic...
Do they know you don't believe?
How old are you?
Well I think they know but are in denial. They know I dislike the Catholic Church, that I see Christianity and the bible as crazy, know that I disagree with their worldview (evolution, science, gay marriage, etc) and that I'm a Secular Humanist... But I haven't said the words "I'm an atheist" to them... I don't hide it though...
Do you think they'd kick you out/not let you go to an out of town college/cut your expenses/whatever if they knew you were an atheist? If so, always play along until you can safely leave home and support yourself.
(November 25, 2013 at 9:43 pm)Minimalist Wrote: How old are you?

I'm 16
how old are you for real? also what are their reasons for making you do this if they know you don't want it? Would they be embarrassed if u don't go or something?
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]
(November 25, 2013 at 9:49 pm)pineapplebunnybounce Wrote: Do you think they'd kick you out/not let you go to an out of town college/cut your expenses/whatever if they knew you were an atheist? If so, always play along until you can safely leave home and support yourself.

It is definitely a possibility... I truly don't know but this whole thing is upsetting me greatly.

(November 25, 2013 at 9:57 pm)missluckie26 Wrote: how old are you for real? also what are their reasons for making you do this if they know you don't want it? Would they be embarrassed if u don't go or something?

What do you mean "for real"? I'm 16... Generations upon generations of my family on both sides were and are Catholic. It's the norm and only way in their view... They're not truly giving me the option.
(November 25, 2013 at 9:57 pm)Wunsbee Wrote:
(November 25, 2013 at 9:49 pm)pineapplebunnybounce Wrote: Do you think they'd kick you out/not let you go to an out of town college/cut your expenses/whatever if they knew you were an atheist? If so, always play along until you can safely leave home and support yourself.

It is definitely a possibility... I truly don't know but this whole thing is upsetting me greatly.

Alright, if it's a possibility, best play it safe. Vent off your frustration elsewhere. I'm sorry but it sounds like the alternative is much worse.

If they're the reasonable type, tell them calmly about how you feel about it, don't let it turn into a shouting match though. But if they're the type who's always had this authority type relationship with you, then best not piss them off and make them think some extreme measure is needed to "save your soul".
(November 25, 2013 at 9:57 pm)Wunsbee Wrote:
(November 25, 2013 at 9:43 pm)Minimalist Wrote: How old are you?

I'm 16

Go through the motions. They can't make you believe in their bullshit.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  British Non-Catholic Historian on Historical Longevity of the Roman Catholic Church. Nishant Xavier 36 1867 August 6, 2023 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Athiest parent sending child to Catholic school EchoEllis 36 5274 December 2, 2021 at 10:24 am
Last Post: brewer
  Atheists, tell me, a Roman Catholic: why should I become an atheist? Balaco 596 92832 June 14, 2017 at 3:26 am
Last Post: Omnisofos
  So I'm about to get confirmed Veritas 54 5884 June 27, 2016 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  how to hold on to atheism when things keep getting worse? Rextos 26 4497 June 6, 2016 at 10:30 pm
Last Post: Adam Blackstar
  Going to a Roman Catholic school and expressing my opinion. piterski123 7 3364 April 28, 2015 at 8:54 pm
Last Post: Iroscato
  The latest Catholic plot! StealthySkeptic 11 3063 September 10, 2014 at 12:11 am
Last Post: StealthySkeptic
  This is getting old tor 42 9025 April 7, 2014 at 12:35 pm
Last Post: microxone
  WLC is getting old tor 4 1868 March 21, 2014 at 10:51 am
Last Post: Modler
  A new member. A Catholic school teacher. Mr. Moncrieff 105 20915 February 25, 2014 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda