Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 2:05 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This is getting old
This is getting old
I was talking to a theist today and he brought up argument from design, first cause and argument from ignorance.
I debunked them and he said he doesn't give a fuck he will be a theist anyway also he said atheists suck.
Same arguments for 10 billion times. Same "I don't care I will believe anyway". Same "atheists suck".
Again and again and again. It's like I'm watching same movie over and over.
Same shit that was 1 year ago. 5 years ago. 10 years ago. No difference whatsoever.

Why is there no progress?
RE: This is getting old
You can't fix stupid? Or was that a rethorical question?
(April 4, 2014 at 4:16 pm)LastPoet Wrote: You can't fix stupid? Or was that a rethorical question?

The question is why can't same old arguments just die already.
It's like theists read the same book "Arguments for theism" written by the same author. There is absolutely NOTHING new.

Another thing I wonder is if he is gonna use same arguments against someone else after we talked.
Failed? Try against someone else. That's their motto.
Be grateful he didn't bust out Pascal's Wager :p

There is no progress because humans are still terrified of death...and we can't seem to accept "I don't know" as an answer.
I'm a bitch, I'm a lover
I'm a goddess, I'm a mother
I'm a sinner, I'm a saint
I do not feel ashamed
(April 4, 2014 at 4:20 pm)ThePinsir Wrote: Be grateful he didn't bust out Pascal's Wager :p

He did. But in a very sneaky way. "You don't have to believe if you don't want to but do it at your own risk". LOL

Maybe there is such a book but I don't know about it? lol
(April 4, 2014 at 4:19 pm)tor Wrote: The question is why can't same old arguments just die already.
It's like theists read the same book "Arguments for theism" written by the same author. There is absolutely NOTHING new.

Why would there be anything new?

Think about it: religion by itself is stagnant. Everything is written down in books that need to accrue some age and credulous followers before they become divine text, so nobody is writing any new content for religions that exist now. Everything the followers feel they need to know is in those holy books.

Religions are carried along by society; secular progress is the reason religions change at all. Until some new scientific, moral or social progression is made from the outside, religions have nothing new to fit their god into, since they don't make anything of their own. Look down the line: every major theistic argument or apologetic has been made in response to- either a denial of, or an insidious robbery of credit for- a piece of secular progress. Intelligent design only exists because evolution does, the argument from design exists because of various naturalistic discoveries that makes design unnecessary at different resolutions, the cosmological argument only picked up steam because the big bang can be misinterpreted as a "beginning" of the universe...

There's nothing new in religious arguments because religions don't do new. You just have to wait for the next big scientific discovery or social change before you'll see a new theistic argument. First denial- that's where you'll get your arguments- then acceptance, and then credit robbery.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(April 4, 2014 at 4:35 pm)Esquilax Wrote:
(April 4, 2014 at 4:19 pm)tor Wrote: The question is why can't same old arguments just die already.

Why would there be anything new?

Think about it: religion by itself is stagnant. Everything is written down in books that need to accrue some age and credulous followers before they become divine text, so nobody is writing any new content for religions that exist now. Everything the followers feel they need to know is in those holy books.

Religions are carried along by society; secular progress is the reason religions change at all. Until some new scientific, moral or social progression is made from the outside, religions have nothing new to fit their god into, since they don't make anything of their own. Look down the line: every major theistic argument or apologetic has been made in response to- either a denial of, or an insidious robbery of credit for- a piece of secular progress. Intelligent design only exists because evolution does, the argument from design exists because of various naturalistic discoveries that makes design unnecessary at different resolutions, the cosmological argument only picked up steam because the big bang can be misinterpreted as a "beginning" of the universe...

There's nothing new in religious arguments because religions don't do new. You just have to wait for the next big scientific discovery or social change before you'll see a new theistic argument. First denial- that's where you'll get your arguments- then acceptance, and then credit robbery.

Well kalam was invented 500 years ago or so.
So there was at least SOMETHING new 500 years ago. In science there is constantly something new. Theory of relativity for instance was discovered some 100 years ago. Puancare conjecture in math was solved in 1982.
But in theology there is absolutely nothing. Seems like they run out of ideas some 400 years ago.
(April 4, 2014 at 3:53 pm)tor Wrote: I debunked them and he said he doesn't give a fuck he will be a theist anyway also he said atheists suck.

Why is there no progress?

That's why i don't talk with theists about their imaginary friends.
Indoctrination from the early years makes ignorance even stronger when you put the facts infront of them.
Quote:Why is there no progress?

Because bible-thumping morons can never change. Some can grow out of it but then they cease to be morons.

Sounds like you have found a real jesus star there.
(April 4, 2014 at 4:44 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Why is there no progress?

Because bible-thumping morons can never change. Some can grow out of it but then they cease to be morons.

Sounds like you have found a real jesus star there.

Yeah but if arguments fail people search for other ones which will work. In theology it's completely opposite. They hammer same thing over and over even if it doesn't work.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  how to hold on to atheism when things keep getting worse? Rextos 26 4496 June 6, 2016 at 10:30 pm
Last Post: Adam Blackstar
  WLC is getting old tor 4 1865 March 21, 2014 at 10:51 am
Last Post: Modler
  I'm getting confirmed Catholic... Wunsbee 54 12425 November 30, 2013 at 9:58 pm
Last Post: PracticalPackers113
  Thinking about getting a Team-speak Server jpell 2 1496 June 12, 2013 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: jpell