Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 8:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Freeing the mind slaves
Freeing the mind slaves
I was going to post this in the section about banning the burka, but thought it actually had broader application.

Paraphrased,

Religion is a system, Neo. That system is our enemy. But when you're inside, you look around, what do you see? Businessmen, teachers, lawyers, carpenters. The very minds of the people we are trying to save. But until we do, these people are still a part of that system and that makes them our enemy. You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inured, so hopelessly dependent on the system, that they will fight to protect it.

Fits disturbingly well doesn't it...
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
RE: Freeing the mind slaves
I think you're too rational to call yourself a Christian.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Ah but if I am aware of the system but still work within it, I get to wear a cool black suit and tie.

Although I generally don't get on with other Christians so I guess I get to be a post matrix reloaded agent Smith.
Sith code
(December 11, 2013 at 11:28 am)Jacob(smooth) Wrote: ...I guess I get to be a post matrix reloaded agent Smith.
What? Replicating parasitically? Undecided
Sum ergo sum
It's not worked yet but I keep trying. It's embarrassing so I pretend I went to shake hands then stumbled forward.
Sith code
(December 11, 2013 at 11:28 am)Jacob(smooth) Wrote: Ah but if I am aware of the system but still work within it, I get to wear a cool black suit and tie.

Although I generally don't get on with other Christians so I guess I get to be a post matrix reloaded agent Smith.

But why attach that label to yourself? Do you believe in the divinity of Jesus, or do you just think he was a great teacher?

And what would you call someone that recognizes slavery and decides that he/she would like to be a part of it?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(December 11, 2013 at 11:37 am)Faith No More Wrote: And what would you call someone that recognizes slavery and decides that he/she would like to be a part of it?

I think the question then becomes is Christianity benign - or benign enough? Slavery is not a benign institution. So the person who identifies with and participates in it is repulsive.

In answering that question you'll have to separate out the ill they do because they're people from the ill which stems specifically from their religion. Even if you look at the historic evil the Catholic church has visited on people, are you looking at the ill affects of religion or of power? Perhaps the inquisition is just a symptom of absolute power?
(December 11, 2013 at 11:37 am)Faith No More Wrote:
(December 11, 2013 at 11:28 am)Jacob(smooth) Wrote: Ah but if I am aware of the system but still work within it, I get to wear a cool black suit and tie.

But why attach that label to yourself? Do you believe in the divinity of Jesus, or do you just think he was a great teacher?

Yes Big Grin.

Quote:And what would you call someone that recognizes slavery and decides that he/she would like to be a part of it?
That would depend entirely on the circumstances. Careful now, you'll make me hostile. Wink
Sith code
(December 11, 2013 at 11:48 am)whateverist Wrote: I think the question then becomes is Christianity benign - or benign enough? Slavery is not a benign institution. So the person who identifies with and participates in it is repulsive.

In answering that question you'll have to separate out the ill they do because they're people from the ill which stems specifically from their religion. Even if you look at the historic evil the Catholic church has visited on people, are you looking at the ill affects of religion or of power? Perhaps the inquisition is just a symptom of absolute power?

Shit, whateverist, you got my brain running, and I'm at work right now. I'm going to do some thinking about this and respond in depth later.
(December 11, 2013 at 12:00 pm)Jacob(smooth) Wrote: Yes Big Grin.

[Image: smiley-slapping.gif]

Quote:That would depend entirely on the circumstances. Careful now, you'll make me hostile. Wink

Well, we wouldn't want that, would we?Smile

If you feel the need to justify your stance, I am more than willing to read an elaboration.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question on mind miaharun 19 1020 March 3, 2022 at 11:57 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Satirical logic for the atheistic mind Drich 158 18207 June 13, 2018 at 9:22 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Proud slaves of God. purplepurpose 33 7907 December 18, 2017 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  "I refuse to change my mind" Socrates 41 6129 March 2, 2017 at 4:39 am
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  Religion - The Poison For Human Mind (VIDEO) BLuex 1 1188 December 20, 2015 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Theists: Can god read my mind? robvalue 27 6445 July 25, 2015 at 8:47 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Does your God Only Live in your Mind? Salacious B. Crumb 2 1637 May 2, 2015 at 1:12 pm
Last Post: Salacious B. Crumb
Wink I change my mind there is a god and he is Great! là bạn điên 11 3541 January 23, 2014 at 10:16 pm
Last Post: EgoRaptor
  Something all theists should all keep in mind. Creed of Heresy 67 28216 September 30, 2012 at 4:17 pm
Last Post: kılıç_mehmet
  "What happens to your body and mind when you quit religion?" michaelford 2 1495 July 18, 2012 at 9:46 am
Last Post: Epimethean