Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Death?
Death?
so, in Religious studies, were doing death, and about what happens after you die, the purpose of us actually being here, stuff like that

I think that when you die, thats it, gone, worm food, no afterlife, no soul, nothing. i know its a bit of a cold and morbid way of thinking, but it tends to make me appreciate the good things that happen, and make me want to live life to the fullest, as cheesey as it may sound.

and as for a purpose, i have no idea why we might be here, I am completely perplexed as to what the reason of us actually being alive is.

SO
what dose everyone else think about it, what do you think happens when you die, and what do you thing the purpose of our existence is?
and if you think its hard to answer, try being 14 and having to figure this out in the space of an hour and write it down onto a single sheet of lined paper Huh haha
[Image: c0ba416fc364a2ff119ffc6c0008f0c9_14905076.jpg]

Alexi Laiho :3
RE: Death?
Well I agree with you 100%. I will be burnt to ashes after I am dead, hopefully some body parts of me are of some use to other human beings or scientific research, and that is pretty much it.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
The concept of things having to have a purpose, as in, leading to an ultimate goal is, of course a completely human creation. There doesn't need to be a reason (in the philosophical sense) for anything to exist, unless of course it has been created for that purpose, like this PC.

If Humans weren't created by a God then there isn't any more reason why they are here than the rest of the Universe. We are here because we are here.

And what happens to us after our bodies stop functioning? Who knows? Perhaps we carry on in a different time line where we haven't died. In a real sense, we always exist in some point of the space-time continuum. It just depends upon the observers point of view.

Mouse
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
I agree with you 100%.
So can't see anything else to add when it comes to our end.

Quote:and what do you think the purpose of our existence is?
Well our evolutionry purpose is to ensure our species existence/survival but outside of that there is none. So we tend to make man-made purposes. Like exploration. Playing a part in gaining knowledge that is to be taught to others. Invention, something that will not only aid you but others that may include improving the quality of life or something else that is also helpful. Living to the full because we will never be given the chance again makes more sense than anything religion will ever teach you.

When death occurs we will cease to exist (mentally). Physicly, we will exist indefinitly.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
IMO Ace has a very important point.
No, there is nothing outside ourselves which gives us a purpose, but our lives don't have to be pointless. We can aim to be good, useful and successful human beings.
If there's no god, then we are the only ones who can judge how well we do. Thus none of it is ever going to be clear-cut and we'll never get full agreement. We can only try.Thinking
Only sheep need a shepherd.
I think the purpose of us being here is to procreate. We're driven to reproduce and raise kids.

'Primitive' people seem to do death best.. they have meaningful ceremonies where everyone vents their emotions. Having a funeral pyre and a blow out party. In my opinion civilised society pretends at this at best.
(November 22, 2009 at 5:43 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: I think the purpose of us being here is to procreate. We're driven to reproduce and raise kids.

'Primitive' people seem to do death best.. they have meaningful ceremonies where everyone vents their emotions. Having a funeral pyre and a blow out party. In my opinion civilised society pretends at this at best.

Civilized society has tools that can prevent the all-too-common mother/child death at birth, our funerals are to the point and sincere - we say goodbye and give condolences then get drunk, no flashy rituals full of fictional intent, we (most of us) are beyond hiding from the reality of the situation in ritual, religion and superstition.
I know of no evidence for an afterlife, so I don't believe in one. I highly doubt that there's an afterlife.

As for purpose, I think purpose is a subjective thing. We decide what we think our purposes 'are'. Some of us think that there is an objective purpose out there somewhere, but I know of no evidence for that - so I don't believe it.

(November 22, 2009 at 5:42 pm)Pope Alfred Wrote: If there's no god, then we are the only ones who can judge how well we do. Thus none of it is ever going to be clear-cut and we'll never get full agreement. We can only try.Thinking

And I think it also means that we are the ones who have to - or at least should - accept responsibility for our actions. Can't go repenting to God or blaming Satan, etc., as atheists. We have to - or at least should - accept the responsibility ourselves.

EvF
So you don't think procreating is a purpose then Evie?
(November 29, 2009 at 2:36 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: So you don't think procreating is a purpose then Evie?
Most times when I've been having it off, my purpose has been to avoid procreating. Big Grin
Only sheep need a shepherd.