Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 10:34 pm

Poll: In my real world daily life ...
This poll is closed.
I never use profanity.
2.27%
1 2.27%
I rarely use profanity.
15.91%
7 15.91%
I sometimes use insults, but I do not consider them profanity.
2.27%
1 2.27%
I use profanity moderately.
31.82%
14 31.82%
I use profanity a lot but I wish I didn't.
2.27%
1 2.27%
I use profanity all the time. If you don't like it, too fucking bad.
45.45%
20 45.45%
Total 44 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shit, Ass, Damn, Piss, Fuck
Shit, Ass, Damn, Piss, Fuck
I make a very good effort not to say these words in front of children and old ladies. Not sure why, but I just don't.

What exactly is wrong with these words?
Why are these words considered profanity?
Who decided that these words are profanity?

Come to think of it, why is anything profane?

Discuss.
[Image: Evolution.png]

RE: Shit, Ass, Damn, Piss, Fuck
Personally I think the fact that some words are inherently "wrong" to say is just silly.
[Image: thfrog.gif]

Someone once described such words as conversational spice. And that, I think, contains the essence of the taboo. Children have no conception of the subtlety of language, they throw everything into the conversation to get a reaction. Those words have power in the reactions they create (for whatever reason). Kids would not use that power responsibly.

I can remember a conversation with a lady friend of mine about this. She was a very proper sort who never swore. The conversation was about talking dirty, I wanted to know if she did in a sexual context. She said she did and I laughed at her cos I didn't think she knew how. She leaned across, looked me square in the eye and whispered.

She then sat back and smirked while I went into a protracted choking fit on my drink. That, she explained, was one reason she didn't swear, it made the impact when she did so much greater.

The impact of profanity is not a sustainable resource. It should be harvested and used with care.
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BcdY_wSklo

Quote:The strange emotional power of swearing - as well as the presence of linguistic taboos in all cultures - suggests that taboo words tap into deep and ancient parts of the brain. In general, words have not just a denotation but a connotation: an emotional coloring distinct from what the word literally refers to, as in principled versus stubborn and slender versus scrawny. The difference between a taboo word and its genteel synonyms, such as shit and feces, cunt and vagina, or fucking and making love, is an extreme example of the distinction. Curses provoke a different response than their synonyms in part because connotations and denotations are stored in different parts of the brain.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/389762/Steven-...y-We-Curse

^ A transcript of his talk in that video above.
I don't at all in real life. Nothing wrong with those words, it's just not a habit I developed. I do it here on the site for comedic effect, fuckface.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
FUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOOOOOOOU
(January 27, 2014 at 8:29 am)No_God Wrote: FUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOOOOOOOU

WHAAALLLLEEEEEE
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
[Image: Akiu2Ib.png]
I cuss alot. Especially at work.
I use "fuck" and "shit" a lot. Oh, and "douche". Also "pendejo" and "puto". Maybe "cabron". Plenty use of the word "ass".

But that's all. I keep it simple. Angel Cloud
Pointing around: "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out!"
Half Baked

"Let the atheists come to me, and stop keeping them away, because the kingdom of heathens belongs to people like these." -Saint Bacon

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Time for some Halloween shit. brewer 142 5070 November 4, 2023 at 4:12 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  What the fuck even is my life Ahriman 30 1370 August 27, 2023 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: MR. Macabre 666
  Your chance to see Melania standing next to a horse's ass...that isn't named Trump arewethereyet 8 674 November 24, 2020 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  My shit ass job just called me back up CarveTheFive 25 1967 May 9, 2020 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: Mr.wizard
  What we really lost in all this shit... Gawdzilla Sama 7 1139 April 20, 2020 at 10:58 pm
Last Post: Little lunch
  Damn Florida, you so crazy no one 8 399 April 12, 2020 at 7:54 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Your damn electric car needs to make noise brewer 29 3557 July 16, 2019 at 7:40 am
  Damn - I hate that.... onlinebiker 7 1178 January 29, 2019 at 5:25 pm
  Stupid shit you've seen. Gawdzilla Sama 44 5725 December 26, 2018 at 9:57 am
  The queen doesn't half talk some shit Cod 11 2060 December 26, 2018 at 9:28 am