Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 1:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Non-Believers' Favorite Parts of the Bible
Non-Believers' Favorite Parts of the Bible
What's your favorite part of the Bible? I like the parts that refer to Satan as a motherfucking dragon! (Revelations 12:9 and 20:1-15, for example.) I guess it's a metaphor for beastliness and evil, but taken literally it's pretty hilarious.
RE: Non-Believers' Favorite Parts of the Bible
I love the entirety of Genesis. The whole thing makes me grin like an idiot. Everything from the creation of the earth, Adam and Eve, Noah and the rest has me laughing every time.
The last blank page.....
Revelations is certainly cool, but I like the world weary wisdom of Ecclesiastes above all else, with Psalms coming in second. Psalms is less about God than it is the songs of suffering, and there's some beautiful poetry in there.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I find the pages between the covers are best for wiping one's ass.
I must admit that the reconciliation between Esau and the treacherous Jacob always moves me. In fact, I love all of Genesis in spite of my utter skepticism concerning the truth of its stories. And I second Rasetsu's admiration for Ecclesiastes.
I wouldn't say I have a favourite 'part' of the Bible, per se, but there are some verses that make sense (I'll preface the following by saying that none of these sentiments - not a single one - are original to the Bible):

-Thou shalt not defraud thy neighbor, nor rob him.

-Proclaim liberty throughout all the land unto all the inhabitants thereof.

-Depart from evil and do good.

-Let not mercy and truth forsake thee: bind them about thy neck; write them upon the table of thine heart.

-Happy is the man that findeth wisdom, and the man that getteth understanding.

-Execute ye judgment and righteousness, and deliver the spoiled out of the hand of the oppressor: and do no wrong, do no violence to the stranger, the fatherless, nor the widow, neither shed innocent blood in this place.

Lots more, but those are the ones that were hammered home at parochial school.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Love your neighbors, give to the poor, and maybe some other actually pretty nice things attributed to Jesus. Not thta the bible is the only source of thoughts like this.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

My biological father, who wasn't religious himself, left me his bible (I think KJV), when he died in 1990. I keep forgetting I have it. I did try reading it a few months ago, but I started to have a stroke by page 3. I do need to give it another try, just for the lulz of this thread.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
I love the pointless genealogies. Reminds me that the bastards have always been in the business of making shit up in an effort to legitimize their claims.

On second thought, I actually very much hate those parts. It's really hard to love any part of a literary turd.
[Image: 10314461_875206779161622_3907189760171701548_n.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abiogenesis ("Chemical Evolution"): Did Life come from Non-Life by Pure Chance. Nishant Xavier 55 2840 August 6, 2023 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  British Non-Catholic Historian on Historical Longevity of the Roman Catholic Church. Nishant Xavier 36 1705 August 6, 2023 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Sincere and peaceful believers are tough people purplepurpose 4 1046 September 27, 2021 at 11:48 am
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Atheists: I have tips of advice why you are a hated non religious dogmatic group inUS Rinni92 13 2776 August 5, 2020 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Hardcore believers act like aliens from different planet purplepurpose 21 4927 December 15, 2017 at 7:49 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  "No born believers" says new study. Gawdzilla Sama 1 1225 November 9, 2017 at 7:21 am
Last Post: Mr.Obvious
  More than half of the Uk say they are non-religious downbeatplumb 9 2863 September 5, 2017 at 5:04 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
Exclamation new "Cult of 'Non-Beliefism' " aka (the state of being "unlocked") ProgrammingGodJordan 142 14231 January 2, 2017 at 12:02 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  A non-aggressive religion? rado84 24 4629 November 28, 2016 at 12:09 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Believers, put yourself in my place. Gawdzilla Sama 102 12646 November 23, 2016 at 11:41 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic