Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The idea of God
The idea of God
I think Christians worship the "idea of God" more than "God" it's self.
RE: The idea of God
They do because its comforting to think that ur being look after.. kinda like a parent.. growing up is hard to do!!
I think any view which generalises people to that degree is probably flawed Wink

Besides, if you believe God doesn't exist, that only leaves the idea of God!
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
The holy spirit is indeed the manifestation of this 'guiding hand' that we seek in the absence - or inevitable absence - of our parents. The 'paraclete' that was sent in the bible (paraclete, of course, comes from the Koine Greek word παράκλητος (paráklētos) that which can signify "one who consoles or comforts, one who encourages or uplifts."

In other words, the holy spirit is our comfort blanket; an interceding parental entity whom removes the necessity for all personal responsibility, anguish and cognition.

Humanity becomes a mollycoddled toddler, unable to move away from the guiding hand of the father, lest we make mistakes. Religion is the literal manifestation of a comfort blanket in times of separation anxiety.
[Image: atheist_zpsbed2d91b.png]
(February 22, 2014 at 3:20 pm)Mr. Moncrieff Wrote: The holy spirit is indeed the manifestation of this 'guiding hand' that we seek in the absence - or inevitable absence - of our parents. The 'paraclete' that was sent in the bible (paraclete, of course, comes from the Koine Greek word παράκλητος (paráklētos) that which can signify "one who consoles or comforts, one who encourages or uplifts."

In other words, the holy spirit is our comfort blanket; an interceding parental entity whom removes the necessity for all personal responsibility, anguish and cognition.

Humanity becomes a mollycoddled toddler, unable to move away from the guiding hand of the father, lest we make mistakes. Religion is the literal manifestation of a comfort blanket in times of separation anxiety.

I like ur answer but "the holy Spirit" thing needs a definition. .

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  falsifying the idea of falsification Drich 109 8256 April 3, 2020 at 10:43 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
Tongue I have an idea! Tea Earl Grey Hot 57 23890 April 26, 2018 at 5:15 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Where do Christians get this idea that atheists defend Islam GoHalos1993 39 11254 December 8, 2015 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  fundamentalist idea of hell drfuzzy 34 8056 August 27, 2015 at 9:10 am
Last Post: Drich
  General questions about the Christian idea of God and love Mudhammam 148 26600 October 2, 2014 at 9:16 am
Last Post: Tonus
  God is god, and we are not god StoryBook 43 12438 January 6, 2014 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: StoryBook
  The idea of God always existing Voltair 200 78855 December 18, 2012 at 4:33 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  God get's angry, Moses changes God's plans of wrath, God regrets "evil" he planned Mystic 9 6701 February 16, 2012 at 8:17 am
Last Post: Strongbad
  Hell - Where is the idea of justice? Voltair 201 71985 November 27, 2011 at 12:03 pm
Last Post: IATIA
  Idea for a prank everythingafter 12 4165 March 7, 2011 at 5:17 pm
Last Post: Faith No More