Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fundamentalist idea of hell
fundamentalist idea of hell
We hear "you're going to hell" so often. I read a friend's post just this morning when he "lovingly" restated that every person who does not accept Jesus Christ as their personal savior will go to hell for eternity.

So what do modern Xtians think? There are well over 7 billion humans on the planet at this moment. Polls taken in 2013 puts Christians at approximately 31% (and dropping) of the world population.  That leaves 2,333,333,333,33 who will go to hell. This includes the few who have never heard of Jesus of Nazareth.  Speaking of Yeshua, there were humans on this planet for billions of years before he came along.  

(If you get picky, I know a lot of Protestants who think that Catholics will go to hell too.  That would increase the number considerably.)
I remember asking my Mom about the Chinese people and Japanese and Native American and African who lived before Jesus - what about them?  Her irritated answer was that God would know which of them WOULD believe if they had the chance.  But then, this is also the woman who declared emphatically that if aliens ever showed up, they would have to worship Jesus too or burn in hell.  So . . .  Sleepy

What about the billions of OTHER people who weren't BLESSED enough to be born to Xtian parents?
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
RE: fundamentalist idea of hell
well the best response to that would be something like this. Go heaven heaven and enjoy kissing gods ass for eternity while you have no free will.
Hell is were all the cool people go anyway.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
As stated before, I think Hell was invented by the church to gain worshipers. Being threatened to be thrown into a lake of fire is a pretty damn good way of convincing someone to join your church. As a bonus it serves as the 'just desserts' for the worst assholes out there.

The bible, imo, is a collection of stories that have varying levels of validity. Many were probably stories passed down from generation to generation by word of mouth, with many assumptions being made. Anytime god's wrath appears, it's basically everyone assuming it was an act of god.
(August 25, 2015 at 2:31 pm)drfuzzy Wrote: What about the billions of OTHER people who weren't BLESSED enough to be born to Xtian parents?
Their really really lucky?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
The # of people going to heaven would not include anyone who's a member of any of the 39,999 false christian religions.

Obviously, none of the sinful Jews, Muslims, or dear God in heaven, any of those in third world made up mumbo jumbo religions are going to heaven either.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(August 25, 2015 at 4:29 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: The # of people going to heaven would not include anyone who's a member of any of the 39,999 false christian religions.

Obviously, none of the sinful Jews, Muslims, or dear God in heaven, any of those in third world made up mumbo jumbo religions are going to heaven either.
Do the Morons get in simply because on magic underpants? Man I got to get me a 7 day set of those.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
The Mormons are ESPECIALLY damned!
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Most mainstream denominations got more or less rid of the concept of a literal hell. And by mainstream I mean the Catholics and the mainstream European protestants. And by the way, catholicism created an intermediate stage centuries ago. Purgatory. It was also a great invention to cash in. Selling indulgences was one of the main reasons why Luther rebelled.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(August 25, 2015 at 3:04 pm)Divinity Wrote: As stated before, I think Hell was invented by the church to gain worshipers.  Being threatened to be thrown into a lake of fire is a pretty damn good way of convincing someone to join your church.  As a bonus it serves as the 'just desserts' for the worst assholes out there.

The bible, imo, is a collection of stories that have varying levels of validity.  Many were probably stories passed down from generation to generation by word of mouth, with many assumptions being made.  Anytime god's wrath appears, it's basically everyone assuming it was an act of god.

Fairly sane point of view, but you know you are going to hell for it. Tongue
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(August 25, 2015 at 4:35 pm)Jenny A Wrote:
(August 25, 2015 at 3:04 pm)Divinity Wrote: As stated before, I think Hell was invented by the church to gain worshipers.  Being threatened to be thrown into a lake of fire is a pretty damn good way of convincing someone to join your church.  As a bonus it serves as the 'just desserts' for the worst assholes out there.

The bible, imo, is a collection of stories that have varying levels of validity.  Many were probably stories passed down from generation to generation by word of mouth, with many assumptions being made.  Anytime god's wrath appears, it's basically everyone assuming it was an act of god.

Fairly sane point of view, but you know you are going to hell for it. Tongue
It's fine though ill get grill going and throw some steaks shrimp and even some lobster on it oh and some pork chops Tongue 
While we listen to some real music since all the cool people are in hell.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  falsifying the idea of falsification Drich 109 7976 April 3, 2020 at 10:43 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
Tongue I have an idea! Tea Earl Grey Hot 57 23690 April 26, 2018 at 5:15 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Lyle Jeffs, Fundamentalist Mormon Breeding Colony Finance Wizard ARRESTED !!! vorlon13 6 2188 June 17, 2017 at 11:11 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Why are the "laws" of physics so different as conceived by many xtian fundamentalist? Whateverist 22 4831 November 13, 2016 at 1:35 am
Last Post: Funky_Gibbon
  What do non-fundamentalist Christians actually believe? Fromper 66 24142 June 30, 2016 at 7:08 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  a brilliant description of growing up fundamentalist female drfuzzy 12 3553 March 4, 2016 at 9:09 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Where do Christians get this idea that atheists defend Islam GoHalos1993 39 11143 December 8, 2015 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  What the Hell,is Hell anyway? Vern Cliff 31 6960 October 15, 2015 at 1:17 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Non-fundamentalist apologetics is about obfuscation RobbyPants 6 2150 May 9, 2015 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Hell Houses (AKA: Hallelujah Houses, Heaven or Hell, Christian Haunted House, etc.) Strider 25 6723 December 3, 2014 at 3:07 pm
Last Post: abaris