Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 2:46 pm

Poll: Is there more than one way?
This poll is closed.
Yes
6.25%
1 6.25%
No
25.00%
4 25.00%
What?
25.00%
4 25.00%
She believes in heaven?
25.00%
4 25.00%
Typical Christians
18.75%
3 18.75%
Total 16 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
There is more than one way to heaven.
There is more than one way to heaven.
Hello,
As my first post, I decided to ask your opinion on a small debate my friend and I were having a long time ago about heaven.

She is a Christian. She began by telling me that Oprah Winfrey was a fraud because she said there's more than one way.
Me: "One way to what"?
Her: "One way to heaven"
Me: "There is more than one way"
Her: "No there isn't. Christianity is the only way because the bible says that it is. God said that the only way to salvation was through his son Jesus"

This is how the argument began, and I quickly told her that the bible is nothing more than a book of morals. I told her that God also spoke through Mohammed and many other prophets from other religions. There is more than one way to heaven, but she kept claiming the bible is correct.

If there is a heaven, there is surely more than one way to get to it. However, I have an ignorant little girl who limits herself to the bible, and says that the bible is unlimited because it is "The truth"

What's your opinion on this?
This Signature is False.
RE: There is more than one way to heaven.
I don't believe there is a Heaven, so I don't believe there are *any* ways to get into it.
I second Adrian. There is no good reason to assume a heaven exists to begin with, let alone wondering what religions (if any) will get into it.

So V-Te, you actually believe in Heaven? And if yes, then why?
(December 8, 2009 at 1:33 am)theVOID Wrote: I second Adrian. There is no good reason to assume a heaven exists to begin with, let alone wondering what religions (if any) will get into it.

So V-Te, you actually believe in Heaven? And if yes, then why?

Well I believe that there is something after we die, but it's probably not heaven. I believe we are reincarnated (in a strange twist of the laws of conservation of matter).
This Signature is False.
What evidence do you have for reincarnation? How does it fit with the exploding populations of life (i.e. there are more people being born than dying, thus how does reincarnation work?)
(December 8, 2009 at 1:48 am)Tiberius Wrote: What evidence do you have for reincarnation? How does it fit with the exploding populations of life (i.e. there are more people being born than dying, thus how does reincarnation work?)

I have no evidence. It is just what I believe.

The exploding population would be all the people, cavemen included. I remember reading in an article that There have been 186 billion humans that have ever lived, and only 8 billion are alive. If the population begins to grow, I think it may have something to do with the other 158 billion people that have ever lived.
I'll look up the article, see if I can find it.
This Signature is False.
(December 8, 2009 at 1:53 am)V-te Wrote:
(December 8, 2009 at 1:48 am)Tiberius Wrote: What evidence do you have for reincarnation? How does it fit with the exploding populations of life (i.e. there are more people being born than dying, thus how does reincarnation work?)

I have no evidence. It is just what I believe.

The exploding population would be all the people, cavemen included. I remember reading in an article that There have been 186 billion humans that have ever lived, and only 8 billion are alive. If the population begins to grow, I think it may have something to do with the other 158 billion people that have ever lived.
I'll look up the article, see if I can find it.

You claim to be a logical person, yet you believe something you can't know?

Your stats are close, Living people make up 5.8% of all births in history, but each soul would be recycled into a new human. That means that since the population is growing, births > deaths and therefore new souls are popping up all the time. The number of total births is greater than the total number of deaths, currently by 6,692,030,277 Smile

Not that I particularly believe in reincarnation but the thought occurs that one explanation for this would simply be that there are a finite number of 'people' in the universe. So, if the population of 'people' is going up here on Earth then it must be being balanced by a decline somewhere else.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
(December 8, 2009 at 3:12 am)Darwinian Wrote:

Not that I particularly believe in reincarnation but the thought occurs that one explanation for this would simply be that there are a finite number of 'people' in the universe. So, if the population of 'people' is going up here on Earth then it must be being balanced by a decline somewhere else.

An assertion with no factual basis needed to explain a flaw in the premise that, surprise surprise, also has no factual basis Smile I love their reasoning.
Am I being lumped in with 'their reasoning'?

I have a problem solving mind and when someone poses a problem my little brain tries to come up with a solution, whether I believe in the premise or not.

Agreed, there is NO evidence for reincarnation BUT, IF it were true then that might be an answer to the problem.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Way, the Truth, and the Ugly LinuxGal 0 390 October 1, 2023 at 11:45 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Is there free will in Heaven? zwanzig 54 4264 April 12, 2021 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  A.S.K. your way to proof. Drich 378 39124 June 13, 2020 at 6:38 am
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  In what way is the Resurrection the best explanation? GrandizerII 159 14695 November 25, 2019 at 6:46 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  In UK atheists considred more moral than theists. downbeatplumb 254 28826 September 20, 2018 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  German Catholic Priests Abused More Than 3,600 Kids Fake Messiah 17 2098 September 14, 2018 at 5:43 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  New way: Open Source Christianity Born in Iran. A-g-n-o-s-t-i-c 28 4271 September 9, 2018 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Eternity in Heaven - Scary? JairCrawford 47 5382 July 26, 2018 at 2:43 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
Sad My mother believes in Jesus more than in me suffering23 56 8805 April 16, 2018 at 3:11 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Pope Francis -- dogs go to Heaven! Jehanne 34 5444 October 19, 2017 at 3:46 am
Last Post: ignoramus