Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Faith Vs Knowledge
Faith Vs Knowledge
I'm struggling with something and I wanted to get others opinions on this.

It appears to me that we have various theists on the forum, along with innumerable famous theists / Christian Apologists etc. that claim to know, for certain, that God exists, that he's their God and so on and so forth.

My understanding is that God is supposed to withhold that knowledge - which is the point of his demanding faith.

If they do have that knowledge or certainty doesn't that make God a liar?

At the same time how can they demand or even request others to follow their path on the basis of faith if they have the luxury of knowledge and are not reliant on belief alone?

Anyone?
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!
RE: Faith Vs Knowledge
What, you're expecting internal consistency from a christian, now?

Seriously though, I think it's bluster combined with a very vague definition of knowledge. What they really mean is "look how certain I am!"
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(April 1, 2014 at 5:26 am)max-greece Wrote: I'm struggling with something and I wanted to get others opinions on this.

It appears to me that we have various theists on the forum, along with innumerable famous theists / Christian Apologists etc. that claim to know, for certain, that God exists, that he's their God and so on and so forth.
My understanding is that God is supposed to withhold that knowledge - which is the point of his demanding faith. If they do have that knowledge or certainty doesn't that make God a liar? At the same time how can they demand or even request others to follow their path on the basis of faith if they have the luxury of knowledge and are not reliant on belief alone?
Anyone?

Every theist like every atheist have different point of view about their belief or non-belief.
My personal experience is that you can only feel God if you build up a relationship with him.
Forget about blind faith that may come by believing books written 2000 years ago which contain a mix of real things and a lot of made up so called truth.
This sort of belief is only theory which want take you very far.
It is like when you want to take the licence to drive a car.
You got first to learn the rules of the road and then actually drive the car.
Blind faith is only theory and nothing else so these people really never know much about God.
To know and experience God you must practice.
Prayers alone take you nowhere.
It is only when you get rid of old dogmas that the real knowledge start getting within.
A boat full of weight and junk can not go very far but as soon as you get rid of the weight and junk your boat can move.
This of course doesn't apply only to religious dogmas but also to atheist dogmas. Cool Shades
(April 1, 2014 at 5:26 am)max-greece Wrote: I'm struggling with something and I wanted to get others opinions on this.

My understanding is that God is supposed to withhold that knowledge - which is the point of his demanding faith.

At the same time how can they demand or even request others to follow their path on the basis of faith if they have the luxury of knowledge and are not reliant on belief alone?

Anyone?

maybe gods aint what they claim.

god is loving ... ok
god is forgiving ... ok.
God holds you accountable ... I am ok with that too. I know liberals aint, but I am.

he rose? who said that and what is their evidence?

I have to believe what they believe? I don't think so.
I have to hurt another human being in the name of Jesus? I aint the brightest, but that aint no-jesus's teachings.

I am not a Paul'ian
Faith Vs Knowledge
(April 1, 2014 at 5:49 am)enrico Wrote:

My understanding is that God is supposed to withhold that knowledge - which is the point of his demanding faith. If they do have that knowledge or certainty doesn't that make God a liar? At the same time how can they demand or even request others to follow their path on the basis of faith if they have the luxury of knowledge and are not reliant on belief alone?
Anyone?

Every theist like every atheist have different point of view about their belief or non-belief.
My personal experience is that you can only feel God if you build up a relationship with him.
Forget about blind faith that may come by believing books written 2000 years ago which contain a mix of real things and a lot of made up so called truth.
This sort of belief is only theory which want take you very far.
It is like when you want to take the licence to drive a car.
You got first to learn the rules of the road and then actually drive the car.
Blind faith is only theory and nothing else so these people really never know much about God.
To know and experience God you must practice.
Prayers alone take you nowhere.
It is only when you get rid of old dogmas that the real knowledge start getting within.
A boat full of weight and junk can not go very far but as soon as you get rid of the weight and junk your boat can move.
This of course doesn't apply only to religious dogmas but also to atheist dogmas. :cool-shades:

What about insane vegan dogma?
(April 1, 2014 at 5:26 am)max-greece Wrote: My understanding is that God is supposed to withhold that knowledge - which is the point of his demanding faith.

It's obviously an explanation for why god won't just show himself to us today. But it's such a poor explanation that you wonder why anyone would use it. Aside from the problem you describe, there is the glaring contradiction that the biblical god had no qualms about making himself known to humans in the past.

It may just be a case of "any port in a storm." When your god doesn't bother to ever show up, you have to come up with some excuse. On the other hand, do they really feel that "he won't show himself because otherwise you'd believe in him" is a good argument?
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
Quote:If they do have that knowledge or certainty doesn't that make God a liar?

Believers could simply be full of shit, too.

Remember:

Quote:What we wish, we readily believe, and what we ourselves think, we imagine others think also.

Gaius Julius Caesar
(April 1, 2014 at 5:26 am)max-greece Wrote: It appears to me that we have various theists on the forum, along with innumerable famous theists / Christian Apologists etc. that claim to know, for certain, that God exists, that he's their God and so on and so forth.

Same goes for gnostic atheists.

Great question well put. I totally agree that such a claim negates faith. Do you have any examples that prove that this is actually the case?
(April 1, 2014 at 5:26 am)max-greece Wrote: It appears to me that we have various theists on the forum, along with innumerable famous theists / Christian Apologists etc. that claim to know, for certain, that God exists, that he's their God and so on and so forth.

In bold is the word that every intellectual should be focusing on, because a claim is not a fact.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(April 1, 2014 at 12:52 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: Same goes for gnostic atheists.

How many of those have you seen frods? Genuine question, because I can't think of anyone here who would describe themselves as such nor have I ever seen someone on the internet or IRL that does so either.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  At what point does faith become insanity? Fake Messiah 64 3875 May 8, 2023 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  The soft toys parents hope connect kids to their faith zebo-the-fat 13 1254 October 31, 2021 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Baha'i faith Figbash 5 935 April 13, 2020 at 12:31 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  [Serious] Comfort in Faith at Death Shell B 142 11022 August 4, 2019 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Atheist who is having a crisis of faith emilsein 204 12310 April 29, 2019 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Faith industry Graufreud 8 830 August 8, 2018 at 6:54 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  My faith is on hold. Mystic 16 4199 May 3, 2018 at 9:40 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Do Christians have faith in oxygen/air? MellisaClarke 83 13267 January 3, 2018 at 6:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  What makes your faith true? Fake Messiah 237 33149 November 12, 2017 at 3:27 am
Last Post: Odoital77
  What is "FAITH" deceptive_illusion 583 204078 October 29, 2017 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: LastPoet