Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 9:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Funny thing about theodicy
Funny thing about theodicy
The main solution to problem of evil among apologists is so called "morally sufficient reason" for allowing suffering to exist.
He is omnipotent he can prevent it any time he wants but he does not for "good reasons". But nobody knows what they are.
According to apologists it's up to the atheist to prove that god does not have morally sufficient reason for allowing suffering to exist.

However it's pretty funny if you apply this to human perspective.
Serial child torturer is in court and lawyer is saying that it's up to the persecutor to prove that torturer did not have morally sufficient reasons to torture children and if he can't do it torturer is innocent. I doubt that would work.
RE: Funny thing about theodicy
Any word that starts with "theo" is garranteed to mean "bullshit and nothing but bullshit".
A lot of those apologetics assume that God does have limitations. Bonus points of the apologist still claims he doesn't have limitations. Common examples include:
  • Free will - we need to be able to be free to sin because [reasons] and this is super important. Now, why an all powerful God couldn't make us have choice, but only good choices is beyond me.*
  • You have to know dark to know light - God can't create beings that appreciate good without having suffered first.
  • Best of all possible worlds - it implies a limitation by it's very premise. God is facing unstated limitations and he is doing the best he can. The world would literally be worse off if little children didn't die of Tay Sachs. Because [reasons], of course.

*This reminds me of a thread I want to start.
(April 10, 2014 at 7:36 pm)RobbyPants Wrote: [*]Free will - we need to be able to be free to sin because [reasons] and this is super important. Now, why an all powerful God couldn't make us have choice, but only good choices is beyond me.*

New research suggests that intelligence tries to maximize the diversity of future options. If God only allowed us to make "good choices" it would be an act of limiting our future options thereby making us less intelligent.

Better to be smart and capable of evil then dumb and only capable of good.

http://www.kurzweilai.net/ted-an-equatio...sner-gross
(April 10, 2014 at 8:31 pm)Heywood Wrote: New research suggests that intelligence tries to maximize the diversity of future options. If God only allowed us to make "good choices" it would be an act of limiting our future options thereby making us less intelligent.

So this could be renamed the Problem of Intelligence?

(April 10, 2014 at 8:31 pm)Heywood Wrote: Better to be smart and capable of evil then dumb and only capable of good.
Is it? I suppose if we figure things like intelligence leading to good medical advancements, that's certainly nice, but if you're saying that not being smart would keep us from killing each other, I don't think you have such a clear-cut case.
(April 10, 2014 at 8:31 pm)Heywood Wrote: New research suggests that intelligence tries to maximize the diversity of future options. If God only allowed us to make "good choices" it would be an act of limiting our future options thereby making us less intelligent.

And your omnipotent god is limited by a false dichotomy like that? Thinking
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(April 10, 2014 at 7:36 pm)RobbyPants Wrote: A lot of those apologetics assume that God does have limitations. Bonus points of the apologist still claims he doesn't have limitations. Common examples include:
  • Free will - we need to be able to be free to sin because [reasons] and this is super important. Now, why an all powerful God couldn't make us have choice, but only good choices is beyond me.*
  • You have to know dark to know light - God can't create beings that appreciate good without having suffered first.
  • Best of all possible worlds - it implies a limitation by it's very premise. God is facing unstated limitations and he is doing the best he can. The world would literally be worse off if little children didn't die of Tay Sachs. Because [reasons], of course.

*This reminds me of a thread I want to start.

Even if people did have desire to do evil they might not be given possibility to exercise it. I want to fly but I have no possibility. I want to be healthy without eating but that's not possible either.
(April 11, 2014 at 9:39 am)RobbyPants Wrote:

So this could be renamed the Problem of Intelligence?

(April 10, 2014 at 8:31 pm)Heywood Wrote: Better to be smart and capable of evil then dumb and only capable of good.
Is it? I suppose if we figure things like intelligence leading to good medical advancements, that's certainly nice, but if you're saying that not being smart would keep us from killing each other, I don't think you have such a clear-cut case.

To be intelligence requires a reality to be intelligent about. An intelligent mind absent a reality is nonsensical(it irks me when theists describe God like this). If there is no reality what do you think about? To what do you apply your logic and reason? What problems can you solve or what things can you understand?

Intelligence cannot exist unless a robust reality exists. The more robust the reality, the more potential there is for intelligence.

Imagine a world in which only two things exist. A mind and good. In that world the mind can apply logic and reason to understand itself and good.

Now imagine a world in which only three things exist. A mind, good, and evil. In this world the mind can apply logic and reason to understand itself, good, and evil. Since the second world is a more robust reality the mind in the second world has the potential to be more intelligent then the mind in the first world.

Creating a world in which only good exists comes at cost of less intelligence for that world.
(April 11, 2014 at 9:54 pm)Heywood Wrote:
(April 11, 2014 at 9:39 am)RobbyPants Wrote: So this could be renamed the Problem of Intelligence?

To be intelligence requires a reality to be intelligent about. An intelligent mind absent a reality is nonsensical(it irks me when theists describe God like this). If there is no reality what do you think about? To what do you apply your logic and reason? What problems can you solve or what things can you understand?

Intelligence cannot exist unless a robust reality exists. The more robust the reality, the more potential there is for intelligence.

Imagine a world in which only two things exist. A mind and good. In that world the mind can apply logic and reason to understand itself and good.

Now imagine a world in which only three things exist. A mind, good, and evil. In this world the mind can apply logic and reason to understand itself, good, and evil. Since the second world is a more robust reality the mind in the second world has the potential to be more intelligent then the mind in the first world.

Creating a world in which only good exists comes at cost of less intelligence for that world.

Godlike fail.
(April 11, 2014 at 9:45 am)Esquilax Wrote:

And your omnipotent god is limited by a false dichotomy like that? Thinking

My omnipotent God is limited by halting problems.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A thing I saw on a site that I want to comment on ShinyCrystals 5 347 March 21, 2024 at 1:33 pm
Last Post: ShinyCrystals
Information The worst thing according to Iranians Eclectic 2 844 September 19, 2022 at 4:32 pm
Last Post: Eclectic
  A possibly new perspective on this thing that we know as God. unityconversation 157 14270 March 18, 2020 at 1:08 am
Last Post: Rahn127
  A Funny Thing Happened on the way to the forum.... jessieban 39 3717 June 21, 2019 at 8:11 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  The Nice Thing About Being An Atheist JackRussell 83 27687 July 21, 2017 at 1:33 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  Losing my religion was the best thing that ever happened to me. Mechaghostman2 30 5877 November 6, 2016 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  I find this funny dyresand 0 870 June 22, 2016 at 6:22 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Atheism and Anti-Theism same thing? ErGingerbreadMandude 114 17248 February 2, 2016 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: God of Mr. Hanky
  One Thing I Miss About Church is.... Athene 68 13396 November 4, 2015 at 5:58 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Worst Thing Said to You for Being a Non-believer Strider 18 8222 October 12, 2015 at 2:00 pm
Last Post: Minimalist