Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What if the Romans hadn't killed Jesus?
What if the Romans hadn't killed Jesus?
Disclaimer: This topic is purely hypothetical, at least as far as I'm concerned. I do not acknowledge that any of the JC story represents genuine historical events, and nothing I write on the subject should be interpreted otherwise. Right, now that's out of the way...

Since we're on the run-up to Easter, I thought - perhaps erroneously - that this might be a subject worth chewing over. It's often been said that xtianity stands or falls on the resurrection; an event (supernatural or otherwise) that could only have happened because the character was tried and condemned by the Roman authorities. Did the Romans have any free will in the matter, given that this 'sacrifice' was supposed to be Yahweh's plan for humanity? If they did, what would have happened to a) the plan and b) xtianity as a religion if they'd either locked him up, let him off with a caution or simply ignored him altogether? Would the magic and the miracles have been enough on their own?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
RE: What if the Romans hadn't killed Jesus?
Mithras would have been the largest religion in the world.
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!
He probably would have died of syphilis.

I mean, hanging out with prostitutes before antibiotics? Fool was crazy.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
He could probably cure himself with a touch though. Probably explains what he was doing in that tomb for nearly three days: "No, don't roll the rock away! I'm uh... I'm healing myself! Yeah, that's it; that's what I'm doing!"
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
If the romans didn't kill Jesus, those who would be Christians would have found some other malcontent to resurrect into another similar bullshit cult turned religion.
Then they would be worshipping some other bloody dead guy.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste -- don't pollute it with bullshit.
Quote:If they did, what would have happened to a) the plan and b) xtianity as a religion if they'd either locked him up, let him off with a caution or simply ignored him altogether?

Oh, you mean like this?

Quote:But, what is still more terrible, there was one Jesus, the son of Ananus, a plebeian and a husbandman, who, four years before the war began, and at a time when the city was in very great peace and prosperity, came to that feast whereon it is our custom for every one to make tabernacles to God in the temple, began on a sudden to cry aloud, "A voice from the east, a voice from the west, a voice from the four winds, a voice against Jerusalem and the holy house, a voice against the bridegrooms and the brides, and a voice against this whole people!" This was his cry, as he went about by day and by night, in all the lanes of the city. However, certain of the most eminent among the populace had great indignation at this dire cry of his, and took up the man, and gave him a great number of severe stripes; yet did not he either say any thing for himself, or any thing peculiar to those that chastised him, but still went on with the same words which he cried before. Hereupon our rulers, supposing, as the case proved to be, that this was a sort of divine fury in the man, brought him to the Roman procurator, where he was whipped till his bones were laid bare; yet he did not make any supplication for himself, nor shed any tears, but turning his voice to the most lamentable tone possible, at every stroke of the whip his answer was, "Woe, woe to Jerusalem!" And when Albinus (for he was then our procurator) asked him, Who he was? and whence he came? and why he uttered such words? he made no manner of reply to what he said, but still did not leave off his melancholy ditty, till Albinus took him to be a madman, and dismissed him.

Josephus, The Jewish War Book VI
Exactly like that. The babbling homeless, just as today, tended to be pitied and avoided; not nailed up.
Jesus wasn't unique in that time period as far as miracle stories go.

Hanina ben Dosa

Quote:Hanina ben Dosa (1st century, CE) (Hebrew: חנינא בן דוסא‎) was a scholar and miracle-worker, and the pupil of Johanan ben Zakkai (Berakhot, 34b). He is buried in the City of Arraba.

Arraba is in Galilee

Honi ha-M'agel

Quote:Honi Ha-Ma'agel (חוני המעגל Khoni, Choni, or Ḥoni, HaMa'agel), (lit. Honi the Circle-Drawer) (1st century BC) was a Jewish scholar prior to the age of the tannaim, the scholars from whose teachings the Mishnah was derived.

During the 1st century BC, a variety of religious movements and splinter groups developed amongst the Jews in Judea. A number of individuals claimed to be miracle workers in the tradition of Elijah and Elisha, the ancient Jewish prophets. The Talmud provides some examples of such Jewish miracle workers, one of whom is Honi ha-Ma'agel, who was famous for his ability to successfully pray for rain.

Jewish Encyclopedia - Exorcism

Quote:Josephus ("Ant." viii. 2, § 5) relates:

"I have seen a certain man of my own country, whose name was Eleazar, releasing people that were demoniacal, in the presence of Vespasian and his sons and his captains and the whole multitude of his soldiers.

Ancient Miracle Stories

Apollonius of Tyana is supposed to performed an exorcism and brought a girl back from the dead.

Jesus would have been just one of many if he hadn't been crucified and his followers claimed he'd been resurrected.
Badger Badger Badger Badger Where are the snake and mushroom smilies?
(April 15, 2014 at 2:43 pm)Confused Ape Wrote: Jesus would have been just one of many if he hadn't been crucified and his followers claimed he'd been resurrected.

I suspect Jesus was one of the many. The fact that it was his cult and not the cult of one of the others in the many that survived is mostly a contingent outcome unrelated to Jesus himself or anything attributed to Jesus. Paul probably had more to do with the success of Jesus cult than anytthing else.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What Luther didn't know about Romans 1,1-17 SeniorCitizen 1 385 November 20, 2023 at 11:02 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Who killed Jesus? Graufreud 56 4541 August 8, 2018 at 9:32 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Seventh-Day Adventist churchgoers killed by lightning zebo-the-fat 19 3511 March 13, 2018 at 12:46 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Two More Xhristard Assholes Killed Their Kid Minimalist 17 4568 June 25, 2017 at 9:36 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Review so far of the Romans study Drich 199 33458 December 18, 2015 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Biblical Christianity 101, a study of the book of Romans Drich 633 91046 December 14, 2015 at 11:46 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  If Only The Romans Minimalist 158 26402 January 2, 2015 at 2:15 am
Last Post: Mudhammam
  How many has god killed? IATIA 48 9347 December 20, 2014 at 1:40 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  In Christianity, Does Jesus' Soul Have Anything To Do With Why Jesus Is God? JesusIsGod7 18 7244 October 7, 2014 at 12:58 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Ok.....So you killed off Religion... ronedee 253 69514 September 6, 2014 at 2:05 am
Last Post: StealthySkeptic