Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 8:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why can't we accept it?
Why can't we accept it?
It works where I've been in the UK, in works in my small market town near london, why can't other people in different countries do it?

Why can't we just accept each others believe's and non believes? This is how I've been brought up and I wish everyone else had been brought up simile.

I don't care if you're christian.

I don't care if you're muslim.

I don't care if you're religious

I don't care if you're an atheist.

I don't believe in a god and maybe you do? Then so what? We believe different things but whats so wrong with that?

Can't atheist just accept we can't change religious peoples believes. They can believe what they want to believe, okay!!???

And can't Religious people just accept that you can't change our views, especially quoting things from religious books, which I have had done to me on the internet before.

So you're going to try and make me believe in god by quoting lines from a certain religious book that is mean-less to me is not going to do it...Okay...right, let me know how well that works out for you...

And to atheist people, talking to them about evolution and the orgion of fossils isn't going to work because they probably don't believe in Evolution or where we believe fossils came from

Its like quoting things from a religious book, the bible, won't change my believes because I don't believe in the quotes. If I don't believe in them then why would it help "change" me?

Sometimes I admit I can be quite nasty about religion but thats only when I'm trying to defend myself when some religious person is nasty about me being an Atheist first. And all these confrontations for me has aways been over the internet.

So yeah thats it.

Why, can't we just accept each others believes? Its so easy! I do it everyday and I'm 18. Everyone I know in my town or where I've been in the UK does it quite easily.

I know some people won't listen but some of you might, some of you that have always been trying to convert Atheists Or Atheists trying to stop religious people in believing in god.

To both sides, stop trying okay! We just need to accept it. Not stop it.
RE: Why can't we accept it?
(April 21, 2014 at 11:07 am)Atheist And Proud Wrote: Why can't we just accept each others believe's?

Because religion, left unchecked and allowed free reign in government, is dangerous and detrimental to societal progress.

The little good that religion has done in face of all the bad it has done is no argument in its favor.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(April 21, 2014 at 11:07 am)Atheist And Proud Wrote: Can't atheist just accept we can't change religious peoples believes. They can believe what they want to believe, okay!!???

And can't Religious people just accept that you can't change our views, especially quoting things from religious books, which I have had done to me on the internet before.
But there are atheists who were once theists, and vice-versa. People can change their views.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(April 21, 2014 at 11:16 am)Kitanetos Wrote:
(April 21, 2014 at 11:07 am)Atheist And Proud Wrote: Why can't we just accept each others believe's?

Because religion, left unchecked and allowed free reign in government, is dangerous and detrimental to societal progress.

The little good that religion has done in face of all the bad it has done is no argument in its favor.

Yes but religion also gives hope and creates a community. True there are darker aspects of religion but not ever religion person needs to become an atheist.

I've got a couple of religious friends and they are great, they believe in god yes but they also believe everyone should be treated equally and they are not like some stuck up religious person who things gay marriage is wrong or men are more important than women.

The only difference between us is that they believe in god and I don't. We have plenty of things in common though like what books and tv series we like watching and all sorts like that.

So in my point of view if that person is being harmful with his religious views like saying dreadful things and just saying oh, its because of god that I think this. Then sure try and change their views and lash out at them.

But if they just believe in god but they are not doing or do not believe in anything harmful then we should just learn to accept their believes and not try and change them...
(April 21, 2014 at 11:29 am)Atheist And Proud Wrote: Yes but religion also gives hope and creates a community.

Again, that is not a valid argument in favor of religion.

Religion is a lie, plain and simple. When faced with wanting to continue with believing in the comfort of a lie or accepting the harsh truth, most people will unreasonably choose the lie over the truth.

The truth, for those who have the intellectual honesty to admit it, should always be preferential over a well-meant lie that merely continues to deceive.
~ Erin Hunter
We are lucky in the UK that theists have, for the moment, lost the power that they had to persecute non-theists.
But in other nations they still have the power and use it mercilessly to oppress and punish people like us that refuse to believe what they would like you to believe.

It does not pay to be complacent, American funded evangelists are trying to sneak creationism into british schools and muslims are trying to get a majorities in school parent groups so they can influence the agenda.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(April 21, 2014 at 11:27 am)Tonus Wrote:
(April 21, 2014 at 11:07 am)Atheist And Proud Wrote: Can't atheist just accept we can't change religious peoples believes. They can believe what they want to believe, okay!!???

But there are atheists who were once theists, and vice-versa. People can change their views.

Yes but thats you're choice isn't it? You can change you're own views I'm just saying you shouldn't force you're views on to other people especially in most cases it won't work.

Usually becoming religious when you're an atheist or becoming an Atheist it takes time or a certain shift in you're views and you usually make up you're mind about it by you're self, like something has happened to change you're views.

Its not like someone tells you "Hey god exist" And you instantly believe them. In the end, when you're grown up or a teenager you can think for you're self if you believe in god or not.

What I'm trying to say if a religious person wants to change an Atheist point of view, just attacking them for what they believe in isn't going to work, same with religious people and let them come to their own conclusion.
For my part - and I'm from the UK - I don't judge people based on what they believe, unless and until those beliefs impinge on others. I've never tried to stop people believing anything they want and you'll find, I guess, that that's the basic atheist stance: believe whatever floats yer boat, but if you want to sell it as real, you'd better be prepared to come up with something we can examine and that can withstand the dissection.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(April 21, 2014 at 11:29 am)Atheist And Proud Wrote: Yes but religion also gives hope and creates a community.

No, religious people can do that; but religion itself is highly divisive and morally corrosive.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(April 21, 2014 at 11:42 am)Atheist And Proud Wrote: You can change you're own views I'm just saying you shouldn't force you're views on to other people especially in most cases it won't work.

A society where religious belief is in any way relevant would have to be one whereby theists were capable of preventing themselves from proselytizing and using indoctrination to choose the lie over the truth in order to fool others into the delusion. If the religious aspect of society was capable of not disrupting the overall progress of society, whereby humans were allowed to be human instead of seen as second class citizens or science was not discredited due to ignorance, then I would probably have no qualms with religion. As it is, mankind seems incapable of allowing others to be who they are. Due to the fact that religion seems incapable of disrupting societal progress, the solution would be to discover a way to ensure a secular society.
~ Erin Hunter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists: Can You Still Accept X'n Friends? Detachable 76 10920 August 12, 2016 at 10:06 am
Last Post: Jesster
  Shouldn't Atheists learn to accept religion? BlueGirl 185 17893 June 26, 2016 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: Esiar
  Do humans always accept proofs when presented to them? Mystic 59 13018 January 2, 2016 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  If there was a loving God, would you accept him? ns1452 135 19819 May 4, 2014 at 10:59 am
Last Post: Brian37
  why do we accept religion? jdoe7470 20 6024 February 10, 2014 at 1:13 pm
Last Post: dcamp67
  What can we do to promote Atheism? How can we unite? shadowninjax 93 34691 November 20, 2013 at 11:08 am
Last Post: thesummerqueen
  Why, Why,Why! Lemonvariable72 14 3559 October 2, 2013 at 1:21 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Girlfriend's mom wont accept my atheism - what should we do? CatMeUp 18 9241 February 1, 2012 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: frankiej
  WHY WHY WHY??!?!? JUST STOP...... Xyster 18 5163 March 18, 2011 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: Zenith