Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 3:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If there was a loving God, would you accept him?
If there was a loving God, would you accept him?
Ladies and Gentleman,

I would like to propose the following question to those who are Atheist:

If there was a loving God, would you accept him? Please explain why or why not.

I realize that this may seem like an overly basic question. But I am trying to better understand the presuppositions (metaphysical dream) that is behind the Atheist belief system. For this to help me improve my understanding of the Atheist belief system, I need everyone to be truthful and forthcoming about the question.

I look forward to hearing everyone's comments.

Thanks,

Nathan
RE: If there was a loving God, would you accept him?
If you truly want to learn, you'll see that there is no "atheist belief system." Being an atheist is just a reaction to one simple claim, that god exists. Other than that, an atheist can be anything.

Many times atheists seem to be similar because many people value skepticism and that leads to similar worldviews, including atheism.

As for your question, I'm not quite sure what you mean by "accept."
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(April 21, 2014 at 3:19 pm)ns1452 Wrote: Ladies and Gentleman,

I realize that this may seem like an overly basic question. But I am trying to better understand the presuppositions (metaphysical dream) that is behind the Atheist belief system. For this to help me improve my understanding of the Atheist belief system, I need everyone to be truthful and forthcoming about the question.

Thanks,

Nathan

There is no "Atheist belief system". There are theists who make wild and unsubstantiated claims, and there are people (atheists) who are unimpressed by those same wild and unsubstantiated claims. Give me good reasons to believe in a god, loving or otherwise, and I will entertain your question. Otherwise, in the absence of even a morsel of evidence, your question amounts to mental masturbation.
Which god are we talking about.. the god of the bible?? Hes not loving.. read ur bible..
I would believe in any god that can be demonstrated to exist, loving or not. I'd probably accept a loving god, depending on the traits that it has, but I would also note that the christian god is not that god, even if you could demonstrate he exists. Best to get that out there from the outset.

I think the problem is that the question is too vague: what does "loving god" actually mean, in terms of attributes, actions, and beliefs? What does that god require of me?

See, when you start off that general, you look like one more in a long line of theists coming here and asking us one question, and then slipping in their own god into that equation later, to try and trick us into saying that it exists.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(April 21, 2014 at 3:19 pm)ns1452 Wrote: Ladies and Gentleman,

Thanks,

Nathan

If there was a god of any type, mean, cruel, indifferent, king, or an insufferable dotting nanny, I would accept him/her/it.

My believe system is to accept anything that appears to exist to the exact degree to which its existence is probable based on available evidence.

The evidence suggests the probability of the existence of something which some primitive, or some impressionable modern yokel, might call god is actually high. But the rub is I am not a primitive or an impressionable modern yokel, and the same thing the likes of them might call god I would not call god.

Good evidence of the existence of a particular thing with defining attributes that Christian ascribe to their god, on the other hand, is essentially nonexistent. So it has nothing to do with whether it is kind or loving. It has to do with probability of existence.
Yeah, I'm not prejudiced against Gods, though not sure I'd have a pint with one.

I ask you - If there were a giant magical rabbit, would you accept it?
If you think that "presuppositions (metaphysical dream) ... is behind the Atheist belief system," you have a lot to learn. Can you be educated?
(April 21, 2014 at 3:19 pm)ns1452 Wrote: I would like to propose the following question to those who are Atheist:

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "accept him" but I'd be favorably inclined towards anyone who was a loving person.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
If there was a loving God, would Christians accept him/her?

Loving is hardly an objective characteristic of God based on his deeds and dictates as portrayed in The Bible. For this reason I have to assume you're talking about some other god.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you learned that the god of [insert religion] is real, would all bets be off? Sicnoo0 58 3436 February 25, 2024 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Dear Atheists: what would convince you God/Christ is Real? JJoseph 207 9030 February 12, 2024 at 1:51 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Dr. Bill Craig's Debates: Why do Atheists lose/run away from debating him? Nishant Xavier 123 6438 August 6, 2023 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  [Serious] If I met Him... zwanzig 54 4252 January 13, 2021 at 6:45 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Maybe there's something like a god out there. Ryantology 38 2879 June 5, 2020 at 8:42 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheists: What if Trump addressed your issues in America. Would you vote for him? Sanau 38 4303 March 30, 2020 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Which religion would be easiest for you if you had to be in one? Fake Messiah 31 3099 July 17, 2019 at 2:26 am
Last Post: Losty
  Do you wish there's a god? Catharsis 580 40739 April 10, 2019 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Do u want there to be a God? Any God? Agnostico 304 28305 December 19, 2018 at 1:20 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven? DodosAreDead 91 11026 November 2, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus