Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you are religious, where do u believe heaven "is?"
If you are religious, where do u believe heaven "is?"
When I was a Christian, I believed it was an actual "destination" or place where eternal souls were "kept" who were worthy of it.

Now that I'm an atheist, I can't help but wonder if the Bible in so many words, infers that heaven is space? If you are religious, "where" do you believe heaven is? What is it? (your opinion is fine, but if you could describe how you arrived at that, it would be good) I'm not looking for necessarily a logical discussion about the after life because there is no evidence for it. But rather, when you think of heaven, what do you believe your holy book is describing? (Space? Universe?)
RE: If you are religious, where do u believe heaven "is?"
Perhaps it is just a state of mind which feels eternal as long as it lasts. (I'm sure our resident theists will set me straight.)
That's interesting, whateverist. So, an altered state of consciousness perhaps? When our minds 'stop,' do they really ...stop? Hmmm...
Or is heaven something that early 'religionists' viewed space, and what was beyond the clouds, as?
(April 26, 2014 at 11:44 am)whateverist Wrote: Perhaps it is just a state of mind which feels eternal as long as it lasts. (I'm sure our resident theists will set me straight.)
Sounds about right to me, without the 'just'.
(April 26, 2014 at 4:00 pm)ChadWooters Wrote:
(April 26, 2014 at 11:44 am)whateverist Wrote: Perhaps it is just a state of mind which feels eternal as long as it lasts. (I'm sure our resident theists will set me straight.)
Sounds about right to me, without the 'just'.

Touche. Kind of like calling the best orgasm of your life "just sex".
According to scripture, we will be raised in physical bodies which will be "glorified" bodies, similar to the physical state of Jesus after his resurrection. We're told he walked, talked and ate and so on. The book of Revelation speaks of a "new Jerusalem" and a "new earth" where believers will reside after the final judgement. I picture the new earth to be similar to the garden of eden. It makes the bible story kind of like paradise given, paradise lost because of sin, paradise restored for those who have trusted in Christ's atonement for our sins. Revelation also speaks of Jesus coming to rule the new earth and living with us there. I assume we'll all have jobs to do, homes to live in etc. As to where heaven is located now, I ask myself "how large is the universe?" and "what is beyond the edge of the universe?". My guess is that heaven is what is beyond the edge of the universe.
Boring. More eating and going to work in the morning .. forever. Yeah, sure, that could be heaven. Out of the way I'm going to be sick!
(April 26, 2014 at 4:18 pm)whateverist Wrote:
(April 26, 2014 at 4:00 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: Sounds about right to me, without the 'just'.

Touche. Kind of like calling the best orgasm of your life "just sex".
Big Grin Sig worthy.

(April 26, 2014 at 4:45 pm)Lek Wrote: According to scripture, we will be raised in physical bodies which will be "glorified" bodies, similar to the physical state of Jesus after his resurrection. We're told he walked, talked and ate and so on. The book of Revelation speaks of a "new Jerusalem" and a "new earth" where believers will reside after the final judgement. I picture the new earth to be similar to the garden of eden. It makes the bible story kind of like paradise given, paradise lost because of sin, paradise restored for those who have trusted in Christ's atonement for our sins. Revelation also speaks of Jesus coming to rule the new earth and living with us there. I assume we'll all have jobs to do, homes to live in etc. As to where heaven is located now, I ask myself "how large is the universe?" and "what is beyond the edge of the universe?". My guess is that heaven is what is beyond the edge of the universe.

I wonder though why life on earth can't be likened to a paradise. So is paradise a ''place'' where there is no pain? As a Christian once, I was taught that God created the earth to be painless, in perfection, so to speak. Mankind ruined that in the Garden of Eden. The reason I find it all so nonsensical at this point is why would an all knowing and almighty 'Creator,' create an imperfect creation, knowing full well that it would not be able to uphold his perfection?

This is why I never believed in heaven, even as a Christian, because it made no sense as to why it would even be 'needed.' Why is an after life ...'needed?'

(April 26, 2014 at 5:00 pm)whateverist Wrote: Boring. More eating and going to work in the morning .. forever. Yeah, sure, that could be heaven. Out of the way I'm going to be sick!

Only if I'm endlessly getting promoted and given raises, will it be worth it. :p
(April 26, 2014 at 5:00 pm)whateverist Wrote: Boring. More eating and going to work in the morning .. forever. Yeah, sure, that could be heaven. Out of the way I'm going to be sick!

We probably won't experience time like we do here. Who knows? He says we'll love it, so however that works, I want to be there.
To me, "heaven" is not a far away place that is "up there" somewhere. The Kingdom of Heaven or Kingdom of God is very real. It is more real than my entire existence in this place, and I have only been there brief moments in my sleep. You see, Jesus told us where to look, (within) but nobody wants that answer; its too vague, too much work. we are creatures who need instant gratification. seeing is believing right? nothing less will do? that is why we look up at the sky, hoping something will happen. It never does. and then we are disappointed, as though it is His fault. sigh. I did that for many years. And then something broke within me. I turned my mind inward, and began to question everything. Then one day, strange and wonderful things began to happen... frightening things.
I found this heaven. it is not a castle in the sky. you see, there is a place between the sleeping world and the waking. some dream, some do more than dream when that door has been opened. few have found it, and it is only by my stubborn and sheer determination, that I did. I have had dreams, and I have been to places no imagination could ever create. I "know" things that comes from a whole other kind of knowledge, not learned here. I have been taken to heavens gate, the door to paradise and I've seen through it. it is a mandorla. call me crazy because I know how this sounds. but I am very much sane and sober. I have heard Jesus voice, and it is a sound I have never heard before in this world. I can't explain it. and it is so wonderful. It is just more REAL than this existence.
I can't "prove" this heaven I have seen and experienced, but I can show you how to get there.
Find Gnosis.

http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/nhlalpha.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do you believe in that hasnt been proven to exist? goombah111 197 23504 March 5, 2021 at 6:47 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  The Mandate of Heaven atheisthunt 22 3286 February 11, 2020 at 11:03 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Why you all need others, to believe? LastPoet 24 3722 December 26, 2019 at 10:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Thumbs Up Alzheimers in heaven. onlinebiker 73 7930 October 28, 2019 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Ways to Get Into Heaven! Or Whatever You Believe in! Jade-Green Stone 14 2499 January 24, 2019 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: deanabiepepler
  Religious fundamentalists more likely to believe fake news OakTree500 30 3599 November 10, 2018 at 4:32 pm
Last Post: no one
  Look i don't really care if you believe or don't believe Ronia 20 7738 August 25, 2017 at 4:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  People assuming you believe in a God Der/die AtheistIn 35 10109 July 19, 2017 at 10:24 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Theist Posters: Why do you believe your God exists? SuperSentient 65 14221 March 15, 2017 at 7:56 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Apparitions from heaven??? Jehanne 217 21015 November 4, 2016 at 4:44 pm
Last Post: Jehanne