Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 10:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5 bombshells some atheists are not aware of
5 bombshells some atheists are not aware of
Following on from a recent post in another thread I decided to drop a few very interesting bombshells.

These can all be verified with a little effort (I'm not doing all the work for you).

1. Darwin never once uses either the word ‘ape’ or ‘apes’ in his work ‘On The Origin of Species’, so he could never have said Humans were descendants of or shared a common ancestor with apes.
2. Richard Dawkins has never called himself an atheist, he actually considers himself to be agnostic.
3. Early on in Dawkins’ book, ‘The God Delusion’, he points out that no one can have total certainty that God does or does not exist.
4. Darwin had little faith in fossil records ever proving his theory of Evolution, he considered them too incomplete.
5. Sir Isaac Newton had an interest in the occult, he studied alchemy and believed he would discover The Philosopher’s Stone, a material capable of turning base metal into gold. He also believed that metals ‘possessed a sort of life’.

Enjoy,

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
RE: 5 bombshells some atheists are not aware of
(May 1, 2014 at 5:11 pm)ManMachine Wrote: 2. Richard Dawkins has never called himself an atheist, he actually considers himself to be agnostic.
3. Early on in Dawkins’ book, ‘The God Delusion’, he points out that no one can have total certainty that God does or does not exist.

Unsurprising - I personally consider very few things to be certain.

(May 1, 2014 at 5:11 pm)ManMachine Wrote: 5. Sir Isaac Newton had an interest in the occult, he studied alchemy and believed he would discover The Philosopher’s Stone, a material capable of turning base metal into gold. He also believed that metals ‘possessed a sort of life’.

While Newton was brilliant in many regards, he lived at least part of his live as a recluse and was a bit of a kook.
(May 1, 2014 at 5:19 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(May 1, 2014 at 5:11 pm)ManMachine Wrote: 2. Richard Dawkins has never called himself an atheist, he actually considers himself to be agnostic.

Unsurprising - I personally consider very few things to be certain.

(May 1, 2014 at 5:11 pm)ManMachine Wrote: 5. Sir Isaac Newton had an interest in the occult, he studied alchemy and believed he would discover The Philosopher’s Stone, a material capable of turning base metal into gold. He also believed that metals ‘possessed a sort of life’.

While Newton was brilliant in many regards, he lived at least part of his live as a recluse and was a bit of a kook.

Newton really didn't get into his flow until after his breakdown, which many believed was mercury or lead poisoning from his alchemy experiments. His early interest in the occult may have inadvertently unlocked his later genius, in a roundabout way.

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
(May 1, 2014 at 5:22 pm)ManMachine Wrote: Newton really didn't get into his flow until after his breakdown, which many believed was mercury or lead poisoning from his alchemy experiments. His early interest in the occult may have inadvertently unlocked his later genius, in a roundabout way.

Could be. Wasn't his "Principa" written while he was in his reclusive period?
(May 1, 2014 at 5:24 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(May 1, 2014 at 5:22 pm)ManMachine Wrote: Newton really didn't get into his flow until after his breakdown, which many believed was mercury or lead poisoning from his alchemy experiments. His early interest in the occult may have inadvertently unlocked his later genius, in a roundabout way.

Could be. Wasn't his "Principa" written while he was in his reclusive period?

I think he became reclusive to avoid criticism of his work and it wasn't until 1703 when he was elected to President of the Royal Society that he came back into the public eye.

MM

MM

Quite unlikely given Newton's brilliance was definitively established at least as early as when he was 23, which is when he invented calculus. Wink
"The reason things will never get better is because people keep electing these rich cocksuckers who don't give a shit about you."
-George Carlin
(May 1, 2014 at 5:30 pm)MindForgedManacle Wrote:

MM

Quite unlikely given Newton's brilliance was definitively established at least as early as when he was 23, which is when he invented calculus. Wink

I'm not saying he wasn't a genius as a young man, I'm saying he went off the rails for a bit due to not being able to handle criticism of his early works and didn't regain his academic composure until 1703, his 'later genius' as it were.

MM

Xtians don't seem to know that Darwin believed in a creator.

Quote:To my mind it accords better with what we know of the laws impressed on matter by the Creator, that the production and extinction of the past and present inhabitants of the world should have been due to secondary causes, like those determining the birth and death of the individual. When I view all beings not as special creations, but as the lineal descendants of some few beings which lived long before the first bed of the Silurian system was deposited, they seem to me to become ennobled.

Origin of Species, Bk XIV

One of the few things he got totally wrong.. although I'm sure that now he would gladly admit it.
(May 1, 2014 at 5:38 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Xtians don't seem to know that Darwin believed in a creator.

Quote:To my mind it accords better with what we know of the laws impressed on matter by the Creator, that the production and extinction of the past and present inhabitants of the world should have been due to secondary causes, like those determining the birth and death of the individual. When I view all beings not as special creations, but as the lineal descendants of some few beings which lived long before the first bed of the Silurian system was deposited, they seem to me to become ennobled.

Origin of Species, Bk XIV

One of the few things he got totally wrong.. although I'm sure that now he would gladly admit it.

I think you make a really valuable point here, and it was kind of what I hoped would get picked up from my original post.

When religious people throw ideas around such as 'Darwin said man descended from apes', we should challenge those misrepresentations. These are valuable ideas and I feel we need to be better informed in their defence. Plus they are quite fun facts.

Other interesting 'bombshells' are very welcome.

MM

Yeah, true....but remember you are dealing with a bunch of shitheads who think a dead jew came back to life to atone for their sins.

The stupid is very strong with that crowd.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Who do not atheists believe? Interaktive 12 2282 March 25, 2019 at 10:46 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Are some theists afraid of atheists? Der/die AtheistIn 146 47994 June 21, 2018 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2177 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Legal Inquiry: Atheists and Affirmations (Not Oaths) Secular Elf 38 10174 August 15, 2017 at 5:57 pm
Last Post: Dropship
  2014 article in online science journal: "Atheists Might Not Exist" Whateverist 15 4053 July 4, 2016 at 9:06 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Why Some Atheists Reject Morality: The Other Side of the Coin Rhondazvous 20 5157 June 27, 2015 at 10:55 pm
Last Post: Easy Guns
  Atheists not allowed to join FreeMasonry superAtheistnut 19 3686 April 19, 2015 at 2:25 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Atheists Could Not Answer This Question. kirkvin 34 7977 April 28, 2014 at 5:02 pm
Last Post: FifthElement
  To those who were once believers and are now atheists, some advice? *Deidre* 20 5426 March 19, 2014 at 7:55 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*
  QualiaSoup has some great YouTube videos for atheists and believers alike Mudhammam 0 1474 January 29, 2014 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam