Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 9:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peaceful protests should not be squashed
Peaceful protests should not be squashed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoJKjhtP...4dmDt4Cd6A

This is not the only story I've heard of about a peaceful protest where someone who wasn't harming people were punished. I saw a video, probably on the same site as this one, where one or two people on a motorcycle were carrying a flag upside down. When a soldier spotted them, he started sprinting towards them. Doubtful he was intending a friendly debate about why they were doing it.

People should know better than this. If protest by peaceful means doesn't work, protest by violent means will be the only option left. Sure some people might be cowed and just endure quietly, but some won't. I would prefer picket signs to shootings, personally.

Is anyone else bothered when they hear a story about someone protesting by nonviolent means, and still punished for that? You'd think people would want to encourage that form of protest if someone has a complaint about something. As opposed to assassinations and bombimgs.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

RE: Peaceful protests should not be squashed
Well, burning a flag is also a "peaceful" protest, and so is the verbal slander of national symbols and traditions. I'm merely stating that not everything that is peaceful needs to be legal, or moral. I personally do not think that anyone reserves the right to do the above mentioned things merely because they don't throw molotovs around. And if they turn violent, there will be someone to stand on the opposing side aswell, waiting to respond to violence with violence(by that I don't mean the police).

As for this particular case, its an individual protest, so its effectiveness is quite limited. But individual protests gather a boost merely by publicity when something like this happens. If they had left the kid be, his protest would not have mattered, as it would have been, as I said, strictly individual.

As for his means, I think he's doing it right. The pledge of allegiance was there before the Obama Administration, and will be there after the Obama Administration. Since the pledge is ultimately not something that defines the current government, but the whole country as a whole, he misses the mark completely, in my opinion.
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
Well, 'inciting to riot' is a punishable crime, but the person doing the inciting may not have committed any overtly violent acts.

Rather a grey area, innit?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(May 11, 2014 at 6:17 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Well, 'inciting to riot' is a punishable crime, but the person doing the inciting may not have committed any overtly violent acts.

Rather a grey area, innit?

Boru

Very much so.
Though nowadays, incarcerating people inciting civil disorder is something that does not pay off,as it sparks only more civil disorder.
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Protests against Netanyahu's Actions in Gaza Leonardo17 14 340 April 9, 2024 at 5:44 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Performers Should Speak Up or Not Attend Saudi Music Festival WinterHold 9 582 December 15, 2021 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Escalating violence as armed protests planned in all 50 state capitals TaraJo 64 3379 January 15, 2021 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Protests in Belgrade FlatAssembler 3 291 July 16, 2020 at 12:18 pm
Last Post: Porcupine
  Protests in Zagreb FlatAssembler 32 1342 December 3, 2019 at 11:28 am
Last Post: FlatAssembler
  Yellow Vest protests masked by a terrorist attack WinterHold 7 1349 December 14, 2018 at 9:01 am
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  Should Puerto Rico be made a state? Why or why not? Angrboda 36 2834 September 24, 2018 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  The Adoption Not Abortion Crowd Should Take Notice Minimalist 46 3722 February 23, 2018 at 4:33 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Alex Jones admits he's only joking & should not be taken seriously Fake Messiah 54 8677 April 20, 2017 at 2:52 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  More Jackbooted Thuggery As Protests Turn Violent At NYU A Theist 29 4547 February 4, 2017 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: scoobysnack