Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 6:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is religion almost finished?
Is religion almost finished?
Even in Victorian times, Christianity was judged by evangalists to have failed. They could not get the urban working class to attend church en masse.
Islam has been in the doldrums for a couple of hundred years. Every country that has tried to base it's laws and politics on Islam is a failure.
That's why the fundies all over the world are rising up. Because they are afraid.
I think these next few years will be the last gasp for religion. This century will be about all the resources running out. When the oil runs out and we suddenly realise it's too late to find ways to share wealth and feed everybody nobody will give a shit about the bible thumper or the imam shouting in the corner. That's my opinion.
It's not immoral to eat meat, abort a fetus or love someone of the same sex...I think that about covers it
RE: Is religion almost finished?
Not nearly finished enough, as far as I'm concerned. Christianity is slowly dying out in the West but is now gaining footholds in other parts of the world as they desperately scramble to gain more followers in the third world.

Unfortunately it is, in many Western nations, being replaced by New Age weirdness and cults.
Dying to live, living to die.
It can turn walking dead and all it will do is reinforce the fundies beliefs.
(June 5, 2014 at 6:58 pm)Beccs Wrote: Not nearly finished enough, as far as I'm concerned. Christianity is slowly dying out in the West but is now gaining footholds in other parts of the world as they desperately scramble to gain more followers in the third world.

Unfortunately it is, in many Western nations, being replaced by New Age weirdness and cults.

Christianity is gaining new footholds, but these are often places which are often starved of necessary things for large numbers of people. Donations to Christian charities are funds used by the church to buy the souls of the desperate and the hungry.

The thing is, they don't need the spiritual bullshit, and when they don't need the handouts, they won't need the church at all.

If you compare the list of the world's happiest countries and the list of the world's least-religious countries, there's a fairly striking similarity between the two.
(June 5, 2014 at 6:47 pm)vodkafan Wrote: Even in Victorian times, Christianity was judged by evangalists to have failed. They could not get the urban working class to attend church en masse.
Islam has been in the doldrums for a couple of hundred years. Every country that has tried to base it's laws and politics on Islam is a failure.
That's why the fundies all over the world are rising up. Because they are afraid.
I think these next few years will be the last gasp for religion. This century will be about all the resources running out. When the oil runs out and we suddenly realise it's too late to find ways to share wealth and feed everybody nobody will give a shit about the bible thumper or the imam shouting in the corner. That's my opinion.

too many inaccuracies.
The Brits were always scoffers but then again during the Victorian Era ,missionaries were riding high everywhere else.
Could be what made the Brits look outside their island.
In the usa the fundies were also doing well.
More church going Christians in China than in Europe.

You can't win athie ..
(June 5, 2014 at 6:47 pm)vodkafan Wrote: Islam has been in the doldrums for a couple of hundred years. Every country that has tried to base it's laws and politics on Islam is a failure.

I must be living in a different time period. Yes, Islamic countries are for the most part barbaric, but they are not all failures. UAE, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Malaysia they are all doing reasonably well for themselves.

And Islam itself hasn't really been in the doldrums, or at least that isn't the impression I got. I thought it was still the fastest growing religion in the world?

Quote:Islam is found to be the fastest growing religion in the world

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Growth_of_religion

Also interesting:
Quote:In terms of absolute numbers, irreligion appears to be increasing (along with secularization generally).[94] Even so, it is decreasing as a percentage of the world population, due primarily to population increases in more religious developing countries outpacing population growth (or decline) in less religious developed countries. (See the geographic distribution of atheism.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Growth_of_r...nreligious
(June 5, 2014 at 9:06 pm)Napoléon Wrote:

Exactly right...
if you're looking for knowledge among some of these folks , you aint gonna find any.
(June 5, 2014 at 6:47 pm)vodkafan Wrote: Even in Victorian times, Christianity was judged by evangalists to have failed. They could not get the urban working class to attend church en masse.

No, religion is not finished. Religion prospers wherever there is poverty, inequity, fatalism, lack of realistic prospect for self improvement, and a lack of collective will to fight superstition.
Religion is attracted and thrives on disappointment and social upheaval the same way blowflies are attracted to and thrives on corpses.

Unfortunately, with climate change and on-going major reordering of world's distribution of wealth and productivity, 21st century will not want for social upheaval, disappointment, poverty, inequity, and the lack of realistic prospect for self-improvement. Furthermore one down side of collapse of eastern block in the 20th century is the diminution of the collective will to fight the form of superstition embodied in established religions. So 21st century will likely not be the century in which religion dies.
(June 5, 2014 at 9:22 pm)Chuck Wrote:

so why is religion becoming more passe in the usa? with all social levels? rich- poor ..
(June 5, 2014 at 9:04 pm)Artur Axmann Wrote:

too many inaccuracies.
The Brits were always scoffers but then again during the Victorian Era ,missionaries were riding high everywhere else.
Could be what made the Brits look outside their island.
In the usa the fundies were also doing well.
More church going Christians in China than in Europe.

You can't win athie ..

They're welcome to it. So long as it dies in the West - as it's already doing.

Your religion is dying, christie.
Dying to live, living to die.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10746 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4911 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Almost Too Funny For Words Minimalist 9 2924 November 4, 2015 at 2:38 pm
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19837 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 49356 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Religion Vs Religion. Bull Poopie 14 5190 September 8, 2010 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Reasons to despise " god " ( in the almost zero possibility of he/she/its existence ) bozo 21 12365 December 3, 2008 at 11:01 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Reasons to despise " god " ( in the almost zero possibility of he/she/its existence ) bozo 18 10552 November 2, 2008 at 9:32 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet