Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Before Christ & The Bible
Before Christ & The Bible
So I had a dumb question.

What do modern Christians believe happened before the bible existed and before christ was born....I say this because, when I think of christianity, obviously it was a religion based on Christ, and there were so many religions existing before christianity.
So how do we expect other areas of the world to know of this christian god before his time, and before the time of his holy book?

I've honestly never heard this been brought up or talked about. Was just curious and wanted some others thoughts!
RE: Before Christ & The Bible
(June 12, 2014 at 12:05 pm)dreenbmp Wrote: So I had a dumb question.

What do modern Christians believe happened before the bible existed and before christ was born....I say this because, when I think of christianity, obviously it was a religion based on Christ, and there were so many religions existing before christianity.
So how do we expect other areas of the world to know of this christian god before his time, and before the time of his holy book?

I've honestly never heard this been brought up or talked about. Was just curious and wanted some others thoughts!

God revealed himself through his creation as attested to in the book of Romans Chap 1. Also, it seems that Adam would have orally handed down his knowledge through the family line. Abraham came from a pagan family and received direct revelation from God. From that point on the revelation was handed down from generation to generation. The pre-Christ believers anticipated the coming savior. Other parts of the world didn't know about him until the message was preached to them after Christ left the world.
On another note, China!
(June 12, 2014 at 12:05 pm)dreenbmp Wrote: So I had a dumb question.

Varies entirely on the denomination in question.

Most of them will concede that prior to Christ the one true faith was Judaism, everyone else was either worshiping Satan or thin air. To many of them the Jews are still worshiping Christ through the "Old Covanent" (the Mosaic Laws), but that has been superseded by Christianity. Both can get you to God, but Christianity is the best and now the intended way.

The Catholic Church is a little bit different, they believe (since Vatican II) all religions have "a portion" of the truth, some more than others (i,e: The Sikhs are closer to God than the Hindus because they belive in one deity). The CC is the "Fullness of truth" and the only guaranteed way into heaven. I think the Orthodox and most liberal Protestant groups retain a vaugley similar position. The only religions clearly labelled as "totally and irredeemably evil" are Paganism, some forms of Buddhism and the new age movement because they promote "the worship of self" .
Disregard Lek. He thinks his fantasies are real.
I just don't understand how anyone can believe this nonsense Undecided

(June 12, 2014 at 12:18 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Disregard Lek. He thinks his fantasies are real.

hahaha. Regardless I appreciate his answer because that's what i wanted to know.
(June 12, 2014 at 12:19 pm)dreenbmp Wrote: I just don't understand how anyone can believe this nonsense Undecided

Fear. Fear for ones own safety and that of loved ones.

You've got the choice of believing or suffering endlessly in hellfire to put it simply. It's easier for a lot of folks to not risk being wrong and play along. Ever heard of Pascal's wager? It happens more often than you'd expect.
(June 12, 2014 at 12:20 pm)Vox Wrote:
(June 12, 2014 at 12:19 pm)dreenbmp Wrote: I just don't understand how anyone can believe this nonsense Undecided

You've got the choice of believing or suffering endlessly in hellfire to put it simply. It's easier for a lot of folks to not risk being wrong and play along. Ever heard of Pascal's wager? It happens more often than you'd expect.

Seems like a loving father.

(June 12, 2014 at 12:18 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Disregard Lek. He thinks his fantasies are real.

hahaha. Regardless I appreciate his answer because that's what i wanted to know.

Minimalist tries to disregard me, but he's secretly coming over to my views.
(June 12, 2014 at 12:22 pm)dreenbmp Wrote:
(June 12, 2014 at 12:20 pm)Vox Wrote: You've got the choice of believing or suffering endlessly in hellfire to put it simply. It's easier for a lot of folks to not risk being wrong and play along. Ever heard of Pascal's wager? It happens more often than you'd expect.

Seems like a loving father.

If you believe he died for the crimes of your race and is trying to save you from yourself he is. A lot of them tend to downplay the hellfire side these days, but it always gets pulled out if you express any doubt about a teaching or even the non-existence of God.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  To Atheists: Who, in your opinion, was Jesus Christ? JJoseph 50 1829 January 9, 2024 at 4:28 am
Last Post: no one
  The power of Christ... zwanzig 60 4033 August 30, 2023 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  Where does the belief that seeds die before they turn into a living plant come from? FlatAssembler 17 1323 August 3, 2023 at 10:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Jesus Christ is the Beast 666 Satan Emerald_Eyes_Esoteric 36 7898 December 18, 2022 at 10:33 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Creating Christ JML 26 3037 September 29, 2022 at 9:40 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  So has Christ returned TheClearCleanStuff 31 3150 May 20, 2022 at 12:35 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44108 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  CHRIST THE KICKER…… BrianSoddingBoru4 15 1390 January 3, 2022 at 10:00 am
Last Post: brewer
  CHRIST THE KILLER..... ronedee 31 3343 December 26, 2021 at 7:11 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
Rainbow Why I believe in Jesus Christ Ai Somoto 20 2764 June 30, 2021 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer